12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
January 24-25th Potential Winter Weather Event

dmc76

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope this ends up like that one clipper back in 2005 (correct me if I'm wrong), when we were expecting 3-5" 4"-7" with very high ratios, ended up with almost a foot of snow, especially around the M59/94 areas where heavy bands developed... Does anyone remember that one?  Started off very lightly in the am, picked up drastically, 1-2" per hour for 6 hours. Looked like a blizzard outside. Great storm!

0 chance this happens

Local guidance is giving me 1 to 2.5"... Lots of dry air out there and models have done a poor job compensating for the dry mid/lower levels so far this year.

I think it's safe to say Battle Creek, Lansing, Jackson, Ann Arbor will end up with just under an inch out of this.

If those places get an under an inch its a big bust on every model.

I hope Im not jinxing things by saying this but I actually meant to post this earlier and forgot...wanted to remind everyone that there WILL be virga before the snow commences. Its probably going to be one of those classic amwx clipper situations where everyone is posting how they will bust, all the snow is being eaten up by the dry air, etc and in the end they do about as expected. Model qpf takes virga into account. Not that they cant underdo the dry air, but they are taking it into account with qpf.

Local guidance is giving me 1 to 2.5"... Lots of dry air out there and models have done a poor job compensating for the dry mid/lower levels so far this year.

I think it's safe to say Battle Creek, Lansing, Jackson, Ann Arbor will end up with just under an inch out of this.

I dont really think it's safe to say anything like that until we look at how quick the dry layer is eroded, actually. Could easily be a nowcast situation but I definitely disagree with your call about Ann Arbor. 

My new calls:

Milwaukee: 0.8

Chicago o'hare: 0.6

Sorry, but in light of the dry soundings pessimism rules the roost from me.

one bright spot for your call

NOT LOOKING AT A SITUATION WITH DRY   EASTERLY CESSPOOL FLOW AND ADVECTING IN DRIER AIR...BUT INSTEAD A WARM   ADVECTION PATTERN...THE GOOD FORCING WILL BE ABLE TO OVERCOME THE   INITIALLY DRY LAYER ALOFT.

Fwiw... GRR update...

ISSUED AT 857 PM EST THU JAN 24 2013

WE ARE UPDATING THE FCST PACKAGE THIS EVENING TO HOIST A WINTER

WEATHER ADVISORY FOR THE NW CORNER OF THE CWFA FOR THE UPCOMING

PERIOD OF SNOW FROM EARLY FRI MORNING THROUGH FRI EVENING. WE HAVE

BEEN EVALUATING THE LATEST MODEL DATA...AND HAVE DECIDED TO ISSUE

FOR MASON...OCEANA... MUSKEGON...LAKE...AND NEWAYGO COUNTIES.

AS MENTIONED BEFORE...MOST OF THE AREA WILL SEE LESS THAN 4 INCHES

MAINLY WITH THE BURST OF ISENTROPIC ASCENT/WAA THROUGH EARLY FRI

AFTERNOON. IT IS THE NW CORNER OF THE AREA THAT WILL SEE AMOUNTS

AROUND OR MORE THAN 4 INCHES DUE TO THE LAKE BAND THAT WILL BE

COMING ASHORE IN THE AFTERNOON AND EARLY EVENING HOURS. THE

LAKESHORE COUNTIES FROM MUSKEGON NORTH LOOK LIKE A VERY GOOD BET

TO SEE 4 TO 6 INCHES WITH SOME LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS.

That DVN 0z raob pushed me over the cliff.

Really don't think we see much here. Half inch maybe.

I can't agree with LOT and think they'll bust unless they do an update and go lower but I really don't see 1-2" here and 2-3" closer to the lake.

I agree... I'm really doubting much even over this way. I think we'll all be surprised at what comes of this, and not in a good way.

If you're going to see a complete bust, it's little POS systems such as this one. Seen it happen a few times, where you go to bed expecting something but wake up to barren ground and filtered sun. Dry air has to be respected. Folks up north (WI/MI) and east (OH) shouldn't fret though, they'll be closer to the respective lows and forcing should take over at some point. For us in IL and most of IN stuck in the middle...it might be curtains.

If you're going to see a complete bust, it's little POS systems such as this one. Seen it happen a few times, where you go to bed expecting something but wake up to barren ground and filtered sun. Dry air has to respected. Folks up north (WI/MI) and east (OH) shouldn't fret though, they'll be closer to the respective lows and forcing should take over at some point. For us in IL and most of IN...it might be curtains.

meh i've been under warnings with 9-13" point forecasts and ended up with a dusting...this has always been a 1-3" max event, so a dusting is hardly a major upset.

I guess we'll see what happens ;)

I agree with the nowcasting. As is with any developing/phasing systems, nothing is ever right.

Right after I posted that the NAM came out total SUCKAGE. Still over an inch but dry air or not, suspiciously weak with the qpf. Luckily the NAM has been the least consistent model for this event...Id like to see a solid 2". So right about nowcasting.

Archived