e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
January 24-25th Potential Winter Weather Event

dmc76

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man Chad is defiant...still going 3-6" for LAF but you can sense some doubt. Thinks banding and ratios will be good.

I'll stop bashing him for the rest of the year if LAF gets 3".

1% chance of seeing 3" of course.

EDIT: one of my friends asked me if we were really getting 6" tomorrow. Supposedly three different people told her that today. I was like, WTF? And then I remembered... 

I'll stop bashing him for the rest of the year if LAF gets 3".

1% chance of seeing 3" of course.

EDIT: one of my friends asked me if we were really getting 6" tomorrow. Supposedly three different people told her that today. I was like, WTF? And then I remembered...

haha

Banding could lead to some scattered higher amounts but 3-6 seems like it would be tough to reach on a widespread basis.

Pros for lake enhancement with this system on Friday for YYZ:

1. Extreme instability. Lake Ontario's water temps still around +7C. With 850 temps staying AOB -15C, this will create delta ts of at least 20, which should be conducive for creating convection.

2. High inversion heights. Looks like the warm layer is 7-10k feet. That's very unusual for an E wind event. Typically WAA aloft from approaching storms from the OV keep inversion heights much lower.

3. Abundant moisture. >95% RH well beyond the inversion height (through 600mb).

Cons:

1. Wind shear. As usual, we're not going to have the luxury of a unidirectional flow. This'll inhibit the formation of a single dominant band.

2. Lack of wind fields. The flow is very light and I think this is the biggest red flag. There's a chance anything that does form simply stays offshore or only brushes the shore. Had we had a stronger clipper diving down with a tighter circulation I'd be hitting this potential a lot harder.

3. Transient nature of LES. Wind direction is going to be fluctuating during this event, from S/SSE to E and then eventually NE. With only a few hours of exposure to the snow streamers, it's going to be tough for anything to really pile up.

Overall, I'm thinking 1-2" from the synoptic augmented with 2-3" of LES IF the LES makes it onshore, for totals of locally 4"+. High bust potential and the closer you are to Lake Ontario, the better. Ratios per NAM BUFKIT are going to be 20-25:1. Might be a little optimistic but overall we should have efficient accumulation.

Great write-up and I agree with your thoughts. This will be an interesting event to follow.

Great write-up and I agree with your thoughts. This will be an interesting event to follow.

Thanks for the kind words. This is definitely not an ideal LES setup for us but it could add a bit of spice to an otherwise mundane event. Once this gets into the range of the hi-res WRF/NNM some of the details can start getting ironed out.

Pros for lake enhancement with this system on Friday for YYZ:

1. Extreme instability. Lake Ontario's water temps still around +7C. With 850 temps staying AOB -15C, this will create delta ts of at least 20, which should be conducive for creating convection.

2. High inversion heights. Looks like the warm layer is 7-10k feet. That's very unusual for an E wind event. Typically WAA aloft from approaching storms from the OV keep inversion heights much lower.

3. Abundant moisture. >95% RH well beyond the inversion height (through 600mb).

Cons:

1. Wind shear. As usual, we're not going to have the luxury of a unidirectional flow. This'll inhibit the formation of a single dominant band.

2. Lack of wind fields. The flow is very light and I think this is the biggest red flag. There's a chance anything that does form simply stays offshore or only brushes the shore. Had we had a stronger clipper diving down with a tighter circulation I'd be hitting this potential a lot harder.

3. Transient nature of LES. Wind direction is going to be fluctuating during this event, from S/SSE to E and then eventually NE. With only a few hours of exposure to the snow streamers, it's going to be tough for anything to really pile up.

Overall, I'm thinking 1-2" from the synoptic augmented with 2-3" of LES IF the LES makes it onshore, for totals of locally 4"+. High bust potential and the closer you are to Lake Ontario, the better. Ratios per NAM BUFKIT are going to be 20-25:1. Might be a little optimistic but overall we should have efficient accumulation.

A NE wind should hold the temperature down into the teens for this event, would it not?

Great write-up by the way.

A NE wind should hold the temperature down into the teens for this event, would it not?

Great write-up by the way.

winds will initially be southerly or southeasterly. I think sfc temps will get into the low 20s.

BTW...EC even hinting at the chance for enhancement. They're going a general 2-4cm for all of SW Ontario, but for Toronto, southern Durham region and Northumberland county the 5am forecast reads "local amount 5cm". RGEM does show enhancement amounts on the north shore of Lake Ontario and you know how they love that model so I guess they had no choice. :lol: EC usually handles reverse lake effect events rather poorly. Glad they're on top of this one.

Archived