• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January 24-25th Potential Winter Weather Event

dmc76

Still looking good for some lake enhancement on Friday for YYZ, but the band's going to be transient so we're not talking anything epic. When I get home I'll run BUFKIT to get a preliminary idea of how favourable conditions are going to be. Past experience tells me these kinds of setups can produce locally 3 or 4".

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So here's the rundown for mby:

12z GFS: just over 0.2" QPF

12z NAM: nil

0z Euro: about 0.1" QPF

0 and 6z GFS Ensembles: mostly between 0.1 and 0.25" QPF

SREF: very little (less than 0.05" QPF, which makes sense since they are NAM based)

LSX WRF: nothing

0z GEM: about 0.15" QPF

I thought a relatively straightforward northern stream clipper would be easier to predict than this, but I've been pretty confident the best course is to go with an inch to perhaps two if GFS ends up ringing true.

Our only futility records at stake are our monthly and seasonal ones, so we might as well root for the GFS and Mike Caplan's :weenie:  RPM.

DAB+ for this event and plenty of time for the next event to be a congrats Grande Cheese while we mix or ping away.  Still got to get through Feb (ugh this winter is going so slow) though if its anything like Jan we'll have a shot for futility entering the Morch Torch.

UKMET and the GEM are still onboard (especially the UKIE).  I don't know about anyone else, but I'll take the UKMET/GFS/GEM/Euro (to an extent) grouping over the NAM and a couple of other out of range short term models (Iike the LSX WRF) anyday.  This speaks even more poorly of the NAM if it's wrong, though, as it should be getting into its range (within 48 hours).

UKMET and the GEM are still onboard (especially the UKIE).  I don't know about anyone else, but I'll take the UKMET/GFS/GEM/Euro (to an extent) grouping over the NAM and a couple of other out of range short term models (Iike the LSX WRF) anyday.  This speaks even more poorly of the NAM if it's wrong, though, as it should be getting into its range (within 48 hours).

Some, NAM, Virga and Decaying is hopefully enough for only a DAB on the garbage cans.

I think I know why the NAM is being so stingy. There's a super dry layer aloft in IL/IN etc...can really see this by looking at 850 mb RH/ dewpoints...that it refuses to get rid of, which could be why the model is not spitting out qpf.

Right on, good find. I was thinking that might be a reason, but didn't look. NAM has been doing terribly with these little impulses lately, "too dry" issues.   

Here's an example using LAF.  The NAM has extremely dry air aloft while the GFS is saturated at the same time.

post-14-0-05853000-1358963615_thumb.gif

post-14-0-35486700-1358963644_thumb.gif

The GFS does have that dry layer initially but is quicker to saturate it.  Basically what this tells me is that it wouldn't be smart to completely write off a drier solution, but perhaps the NAM is going overboard.

There is also the issue where the NAM is meandering the northern vort due east...while all the rest is taking it on a more ESE track.

It won't go East like the NAM shows, not with the influence of the system over Eastern Canada, that is a NAM fail right there which would lead to a garbage solution.

DVN

THE CWA TO BE MAINLY IMPACTED BY SOME LIGHTER WARM AIR
ADVECTION WING SNOWS AHEAD OF THE WAVE AS IT MOVES ACRS MN INTO WI
LATER THU NIGHT INTO FRI MORNING BEFORE MOVING OFF TO THE EAST BY FRI
AFTERNOON. WILL SIDE WITH THE CONSISTENT ECMWF WHICH SUGGESTS MOST
OF THE CWA TO GET FROM A HALF INCH...UP TO A LITTLE OVER AN INCH BY
FRI MORNING WITH BULK OF THE SNOW ACCUMULATION OCCURRING FROM 05Z-12Z
FRI. WITH 16:1 TO 20:1 LSR/S...A FEW LOCATIONS EAST OF THE MS RVR
MAY GET UP TO 2 INCHES OF SNOW BY MID FRI MORNING
. WILL THROW OUT THE
00Z NAM WHICH IS TOTALLY DRY FOR THE LOCAL AREA
THU NIGHT INTO FRI.

7.2" for the season, hard to say it's almost as bad as ORD, but other areas of the Chicago Metro area have done better than ORD (for instance with lake effect around Christmas), so comparing region wide, it's not far off.

Yeah NE Cook County probably has between 6-9" total for the season. In large part to the LES snow event!

12z EURO may be having trouble with the dry layer Hoosier alluded to on the NAM.

Archived