SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 24-25th Potential Winter Weather Event

dmc76

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4" recorded here at UofM. After a brief glance, highest  total in SEMI I can find. :)

01/25/2013 0830 PM

N Ann Arbor, Washtenaw County.

Snow m4.0 inch, reported by co-op observer.

14.5 hour snowfall total at the u of M Campus

Credit where credit is due...

Livingston/Washtenaw Counties.....so far. Brighton/ARB FTW! 

The only good thing about this event were the muffin flakes that were ripping towards the end.

Otherwise, meh. I'm eyeballing a grand total of 1.5" to 2" here (definitely more in the western and SW suburbs where I was).

The next event is looking increasingly sucky as well, so this miserable month can't end soon enough. I'd say this January was about as bad as January 2012, if not worse given the god awful siberian cold outbreak.

Ended up with around 2-2.5" of snow in downtown Toronto. But man, this LES settles quickly. The main downtown streets are almost free of snow (eg. Yonge St, King St.), but go to the side streets/parks (eg. Queens Park) and it's a different story. A winter wonderland.

Very nice. That band is still playing footsies with us. What a tease.

Oh so close. But it looks like it's not going to move towards the GTA.

Nope. It's going to sink to the south shore of Lk Ontario and dissolve. Time to start looking forward to the mess Monday morning.

Oh, an I like your sig! Reminded me that I'm not including the Nov. numbers in my sig. Off to fix that.

Downtown, with the banding associated with the December storm, and the two lake effect events in January, has done much better than the west end. Your futility mark has now been safely passed. Different story out at Pearson and even imby. 

Nope. It's going to sink to the south shore of Lk Ontario and dissolve. Time to start looking forward to the mess Monday morning.

Oh, an I like your sig! Reminded me that I'm not including the Nov. numbers in my sig. Off to fix that.

Downtown, with the banding associated with the December storm, and the two lake effect events in January, has done much better than the west end. Your futility mark has now been safely passed. Different story out at Pearson and even imby. 

Amazing that over 75% of this month's snowfall in downtown Toronto is from lake effect. The Lake Ontario thermal low event on Jan 2/3, the Lake Huron-Ontario band on Jan 22 and yesterday's LES from Lake Ontario.

Pearson Airport recorded 2.2 cm yesterday (from the The Weather Network Ontario snow report page). They are up to 7.2 cm this month and 23.6 cm for the season.

Looks like thr winner in SE MI was ann arbor with 4.1" then 4.0" at riverview. Mby finished with 3.6" and DTW had 3.2". My 3.6" puts me at 18.0" on the season. All in all not a bad season so far as we enter the halfway mark (not a good one either lol). NOT looking forward to a 2 day torch erase our winter wonderland only to get frigid again.

Amazing that over 75% of this month's snowfall in downtown Toronto is from lake effect. The Lake Ontario thermal low event on Jan 2/3, the Lake Huron-Ontario band on Jan 22 and yesterday's LES from Lake Ontario.

Pearson Airport recorded 2.2 cm yesterday (from the The Weather Network Ontario snow report page). They are up to 7.2 cm this month and 23.6 cm for the season.

No way yesterday's snow was 10:1 but whatever...that's Pearson for you. Even still, considering almost all the LES missed them, that's not bad.

No way yesterday's snow was 10:1 but whatever...that's Pearson for you. Even still, considering almost all the LES missed them, that's not bad.

I always get a kick out of when you guys talk about pearson. Clearly their liquid equiv and snow numbers are a joke and you guys seem happy if they are in the ballpark. Thats a shame the official numbers cant be a LITTLE more accurate.

I always get a kick out of when you guys talk about pearson. Clearly their liquid equiv and snow numbers are a joke and you guys seem happy if they are in the ballpark. Thats a shame the official numbers cant be a LITTLE more accurate.

Toronto's probably the only city in North America where the suburban airport climate observation station habitually sees lower, and sometimes substantially lower, seasonal snowfall than the urban, city center climo obs. station. I'd like to think someone that works within EC has noticed this and has at a minimum sparked some discussion but I doubt it.

Toronto's probably the only city in the Great Lakes where the suburban airport climate observation station habitually sees lower, and sometimes substantially lower, seasonal snowfall than the urban, city center climo obs. station. I'd like to think someone that works within EC has noticed this and has at a minimum sparked some discussion but I doubt it.

changed that from North America to Great Lakes. On second thought, I don't know enough about other locales' microclimates to make that assertion.

Toronto's probably the only city in North America where the suburban airport climate observation station habitually sees lower, and sometimes substantially lower, seasonal snowfall than the urban, city center climo obs. station. I'd like to think someone that works within EC has noticed this and has at a minimum sparked some discussion but I doubt it.

MDW/ORD say hi. Though of course not the consistent difference as Pearson and the Toronto city stations, but there have been some wild spreads between MDW and ORD in the past.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/9313-chicago-snowfallord-vs-mdw/'>http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/9313-chicago-snowfallord-vs-mdw/

It's for this reason that I always use Buttonville. The fact that I live in north Toronto also means that 90% of the time, this airport is a better reflection of what I'm getting.

Pearson is frustrating. It's also frustrating that Canadian media outlets almost never make reference to any observations prior to the late 30s/early 40s as they soley rely on the airports. This despite the fact that Toronto has data going back to 1840. In the US, you guys have easy access to 19th century data. One look at the wunderground site shows this. You can't go to the Environment canada site and find data from the early 20th century listed under the "record values" link in each city.

Got 6" last night and after settling we have 14" on the ground.  Nice change from a week ago.

About 3.0" from Fridays system IMBY, most of it fell between 5:00 PM and 9:00 PM.  5 inches deep on the ground late last night, settled down to 4 by later this afternoon.

That is a very impressive gradient in such a short distance.

That is a very impressive gradient in such a short distance.

Yea.  The main reason is I'm on the edge of a screw-hole for NW events.  The way the lake narrows near Ludington means the NE side of GR is much farther downwind from the shore after a shorter fetch length over water.  With the SW wind enhancement yesterday evening I did slightly better, but the wind had a bit too much of a southerly component, giving areas to my NW higher totals.  I think most of what I got yesterday was synoptic.  WSW is the best lake effect wind direction for my exact location.  With a due W wind I'm not far downwind from the lake, but the fetch length is once again sub-optimal.

Hudsonville is close enough to the lake where they can get dumped from any direction from SW to NW.  They only miss out on the more extreme NNW or SSW flow events that create more dominant bands that stay pretty much right on the lake shore and make little inland progress.  Central Allegan county generally gets the highest totals for all of SW lower MI.  Counties north of RT 10 and west of US 131 also get dumped on.  They get terrain enhancement and some residual moisture from Lake Superior in a lot of situations. NE Kent and Newaygo counties are in a bit of a LE screw-hole for some reason. 

fetch_zpse11a2860.jpg

Yea.  The main reason is I'm on the edge of a screw-hole for NW events.  The way the lake narrows near Ludington means the NE side of GR is much farther downwind from the shore after a shorter fetch length over water.  With the SW wind enhancement yesterday evening I did slightly better, but the wind had a bit too much of a southerly component, giving areas to my NW higher totals.  I think most of what I got yesterday was synoptic.  WSW is the best lake effect wind direction for my exact location.  With a due W wind I'm not far downwind from the lake, but the fetch length is once again sub-optimal.

Hudsonville is close enough to the lake where they can get dumped from any direction from SW to NW.  They only miss out on the more extreme NNW or SSW flow events that create more dominant bands that stay pretty much right on the lake shore and make little inland progress.  Central Allegan county generally gets the highest totals for all of SW lower MI.  Counties north of RT 10 and west of US 131 also get dumped on.  They get terrain enhancement and some residual moisture from Lake Superior in a lot of situations. NE Kent and Newaygo counties are in a bit of a LE screw-hole for some reason. 

I agree with most of this, except for Allegan County getting the most. Allegan County often misses out in SW flow events. They definitely do the best in NW flow, I agree with that. However, that is why the Muskegon area has some of the highest snow averages in Western Michigan. It can do well in most flows, except for North and obviously eastern flows. Sometimes the wind blows it over, but that happens in Allegan too. So Muskegon is in a great spot to pick up snow from many different directional winds, even if the area doesn't get into some of the heavier bands.

fetch_zpse11a2860.jpg

Archived