joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 24-25th Potential Winter Weather Event

dmc76

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, Steeles and McCowan is getting in on it. Band extends well to the north. Impressive for an event with such light winds. Actually, areas along Highway 7 in Durham have gotten more snow from this squall than I have. :lol:

Snow is crossing the 404! Getting closer SSC!

Moderate snow falling at Yonge and Bloor St in downtown Toronto.

That was one heck of a drive. Had something to eat at Port Union and 401. Back home now. Doesn't look like snow was as heavy here, but still had to go out and shovel. Hope the band shifts north to give us one last burst of heavy snow.

This is honestly among the most amazing lake effect events I have ever experienced. You have to understand that Toronto almost never gets intense lake snow, especially from Lake Ontario. All i can say is WOW!!! I mean, I was driving east on the 401 and it looked a little foggy up ahead when I reached McCowan. The snow started between McCowan and Markham and was intense east of Markham. I was moving at a steady 5 km/hour (about 3 miles per hour)! I tlooks like the 401 is blocked all the way up to the highway 115/35 exit up to Peterborough.

Sadly, I saw a number of ambulances heading east. There was a 60 car pile-up around Newcastle. Hopefully nobody was seriously injured or, heaven forbid, killed.

Almost looks like the winds fave shifted to the north given the southward sink to the band. But 0z mesoanalysis still showed winds out of the south and east. Freakin' mesolows have a mind of their own.

I'm going back to work and hopefully I'll come out to a nice surprise in a few hours when I finish.

That was one heck of a drive. Had something to eat at Port Union and 401. Back home now. Doesn't look like snow was as heavy here, but still had to go out and shovel. Hope the band shifts north to give us one last burst of heavy snow.

This is honestly among the most amazing lake effect events I have ever experienced. You have to understand that Toronto almost never gets intense lake snow, especially from Lake Ontario. All i can say is WOW!!! I mean, I was driving east on the 401 and it looked a little foggy up ahead when I reached McCowan. The snow started between McCowan and Markham and was intense east of Markham. I was moving at a steady 5 km/hour (about 3 miles per hour)! I tlooks like the 401 is blocked all the way up to the highway 115/35 exit up to Peterborough.

Sadly, I saw a number of ambulances heading east. There was a 60 car pile-up around Newcastle. Hopefully nobody was seriously injured or, heaven forbid, killed.

That's a little extreme. It's unusual, but it happens more than you think. Coincidentally, 9 years ago today was the beginning of a major E wind LES storm that dropped 10-14" on much of Toronto, except along the immediate shoreline from the Humber Bay to Mississauga where up 2 feet fell. About 3-5" was synoptic, the rest was LES. Also, if it wasn't for E wind LES, Jan 1999 would have had maybe 20-30% less snow than we experienced. 

wx weenie with a heart of gold

Lol.

There's a little :weenie: in all of us on this forum, even if it hidden most of time! Even the met's on tv can show it sometimes!

Mesolows are fun to watch play out. The wind flow matches perfectly with the radar low. Lol, Someone got the grill going underneath the sensor that says 46°!

Lol.

There's a little :weenie: in all of us on this forum, even if it hidden most of time! Even the met's on tv can show it sometimes!

Mesolows are fun to watch play out. The wind flow matches perfectly with the radar low. Lol, Someone got the grill going underneath the sensor that says 46°!

attachicon.gifradar_toronto.jpg

Just to be clear, I didn't mean it as a pejorative. I'm a weenie and I'll freely admit it.

Lol.

Thus the caption under my avatar. lol.

Thanks for the play-by-play for Toronto. SSC and crew deserves some snow as much as anyone in the subforum.

Just to be clear, I didn't mean it as a pejorative. I'm a weenie and I'll freely admit it.

I knew that!

Thus the caption under my avatar. lol.

Thanks for the play-by-play for Toronto. SSC and crew deserves some snow as much as anyone in the subforum.

I knew I saw that line somewhere.

---

Is there any other sites in Toronto that keep records like the airport? Be interesting to see how much more or less other locations get.

I knew that!

I knew I saw that line somewhere.

---

Is there any other sites in Toronto that keep records like the airport? Be interesting to see how much more or less other locations get.

Sure. Downtown, Buttonville (smaller airport just north of the city), University of Toronto downtown, East York, EC HQ. Pearson is for sure going to come in with the lowest number for this event. There's been hardly any snow there today.

Archived