Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January 24-25th Potential Winter Weather Event

dmc76

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eh, not really. That dry layer gives some pause for perhaps leaning a hair lower than consensus model qpf...all in all I think we're good for an inch or a bit more.

Like today, I think most areas will see the very light numbers on the NAM verify but there will probably be a couple narrow bands where banding is more persistent allowing hyper isolated 2-3” pockets.

Like today, I think most areas will see the very light numbers on the NAM verify but there will probably be a couple narrow bands where banding is more persistent allowing hyper isolated 2-3” pockets.

lol, NAM has zero for most of us in IL and IN. So by your method, the virga will be widespread, but a few locales will see 5-6 flakes.

Take it to the bank.  

Eh, not really. That dry layer gives some pause for perhaps leaning a hair lower than consensus model qpf...all in all I think we're good for an inch or a bit more.

Dryslot on the NAM is running out ahead of the vort too quickly, DTX alluded to this in their AFD this afternoon.

THE INCREASING HIGH CLOUDS THURSDAY NIGHT WILL BE THE FIRST SIGN OFTHE NEXT LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM SET TO MOVE INTO THE GREAT LAKES ANDBRING SOME SNOW TO OUR AREAS FRIDAY. UPPER JET ENERGY ASSOCIATEDWITH THIS WAVE IS CRESTING THE LONG WAVE RIDGE OVER THE ROCKIESTODAY WITH THE 12Z MODEL SOLUTIONS REASONABLY CLOSE ON THE CHARACTEROF THE LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM BY THE TIME IT REACHES OUR AREA. THEPRIMARY MODE OF FORCING FOR SNOW WILL BE SYSTEM RELATIVE ISENTROPICLIFT OUT AHEAD OF THE SURFACE REFLECTION POSSIBLY FOLLOWED BY AQUICK BURST OF LAKE ENHANCED ACTIVITY ALONG THE ASSOCIATED COLDFRONT FRIDAY NIGHT INTO SATURDAY MORNING. THE ISENTROPIC LIFT/WARMADVECTION PATTERN WILL AFFECT NEARLY ALL OF SE MICHIGAN DURINGFRIDAY WITH A STEADY PERIOD OF SNOW THAT WILL LIKELY GET STARTED BYSUNRISE AND LAST THROUGH ABOUT MID AFTERNOON. MOISTURE WILL BEPRIMARILY OF PACIFIC ORIGIN BUT WITH A HINT OF GULF INFLUENCESHOWING UP IN SYSTEM RELATIVE STREAMLINES ON THE 285K SURFACE. THEBULK OF GULF MOISTURE SHOULD REMAIN TIED UP WITH GULF COASTCYCLOGENESIS BUT THIS REMAINS A POINT OF UNCERTAINTY FOR SNOW AMOUNTIN OUR AREA. FIGURING ON SPECIFIC HUMIDITY AVERAGING 2 G/KG AROUNDTHE 700 MB LAYER FOR 6 TO 9 HOURS SUGGESTS A GENERAL 2 INCHACCUMULATION BY SUNSET FRIDAY. THIS IS A LITTLE LESS THAN GFS QPFPUSHING 0.20 LIQUID AT ROUGHLY 15:1 RATIO BUT CONSIDERABLY MORE THANTHE NAM OFFERING OF JUST A FEW 100THS. THE NAM SOLUTION IS NOTPREFERRED BASED ON THE FASTER TIMING OF ITS DRY SLOT BEING OUT OFPHASE WITH ITS SLOWER TIMING ON THE EASTWARD PACE OF THE UPPERWAVE.

Nice little discussion from LOT

A RELATIVELY FAST MOVING BAND OF ACCUMULATING LIGHT SNOW IS EXPECTED   FROM A CLIPPER SYSTEM PASSING TO OUR NORTH AND INTO CENTRAL GREAT   LAKES ON FRIDAY. PREFERRED MODELS ARE GFS AND ECMWF...WHICH GIVE CWA   ROUGHLY 0.1 LIQUID EQUIVALENT...WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS. THUS   FOR QPF...WENT WITH A BLEND OF 12Z GFS AND 12Z ECMWF...WHICH IS JUST   A BIT DRIER THAN GFS AND 00Z EC. 12Z NAM IS THOUGHT TO BE AN OUTLIER   WITH ITS MORE NORTHERLY TRACK OF SURFACE WAVE AND ALSO MUCH TOO DRY   WITH ITS MOISTURE FIELDS...GIVEN OTHERWISE SIMILAR SET UP TO GFS AND   EC IN TERMS OF SOLID WAA AND ASSOCIATED FRONTOGENETIC FORCING. IT   MAY TAKE SOME TIME TO SATURATE COLUMN BUT GFS BUFKIT SOUNDING DOES   GET THERE AND SHOWS A 3 TO 6 HR PERIOD WHERE SATURATION OCCURS WITH   GOOD LIFT THROUGH APPROXIMATELY 100 MB DEEP DGZ. THIS SHOULD SUPPORT   A STEADY GENERALLY LIGHT SNOW...THOUGH VORTICITY ADVECTION FROM   MIDLEVEL VORT MAX MOVING ACROSS AREA AND DECENT FGEN NOTED FROM   850-700MB COULD BRING SOME OCCASIONALLY MODERATE SNOWFALL RATES.   CURRENTLY LOOKING AT A ROUGHLY 1 TO 2 INCH SNOW EVENT...WHICH COULD   IMPACT THE FRIDAY AM RUSH...ESPECIALLY WITH COLD TEMPERATURES   LEADING TO SNOW ACCUMULATING ON ROADS. MAINTAINED INHERITED HIGH   LIKELY POPS...WITH TAPERING FROM WEST SOUTHWEST TO EAST NORTHEAST BY   MID FRIDAY MORNING.   

There's a monster dry layer on the models prior to onset, and with this not being a particularly prolonged event, any delay in saturation/precip making it to the ground will cut into amounts. That is what makes me a bit hesitant to swallow the wetter runs (the runs that are spitting out like .2 here)

There's a monster dry layer on the models prior to onset, and with this not being a particularly prolonged event, any delay in saturation/precip making it to the ground will cut into amounts. That is what makes me a bit hesitant to swallow the wetter runs (the runs that are spitting out like .2 here)

Tis a bad winter. Lots of hand wringing over a potential 1-2" snow. :lol:

Yeah the GFS has it too but overcomes it pretty quickly and very close to a very deep DGZ here for a time.

Hey guys, I am following this thread as I will be heading for the Covington, KY - Cincinnati, OH area tomorrow at 7 am. I am a SE VA guy and so am looking at what this Ohio Valley area can provide during winter. Am I correct in seeing 1-3 inches in this area on Friday? GFS looks pretty nice compared to the God Awful NAM.

P.S. It just so happens that Norfolk, VA may get 2-4 inches on Friday as well when I leave to miss it so I need my fix in KY. Lol

Hey guys, I am following this thread as I will be heading for the Covington, KY - Cincinnati, OH area tomorrow at 7 am. I am a SE VA guy and so am looking at what this Ohio Valley area can provide during winter. Am I correct in seeing 1-3 inches in this area on Friday? GFS looks pretty nice compared to the God Awful NAM.

P.S. It just so happens that Norfolk, VA may get 2-4 inches on Friday as well when I leave to miss it so I need my fix in KY. Lol

1-3" seems like a safe bet. Ratios will be closer to 10:1, but the Cincinnati area should catch some of the moisture coming up from the southern wave.

I've missed a couple storms as well from being out of town! Sucks if your destination gets less or none!

1-3" seems like a safe bet. Ratios will be closer to 10:1, but the Cincinnati area should catch some of the moisture coming up from the southern wave.

I've missed a couple storms as well from being out of town! Sucks if your destination gets less or none!

Haha yeah, I hope I don't miss a nice event. Hopefully this one works out in the Ohio Valley though.

Pros for lake enhancement with this system on Friday for YYZ:

1. Extreme instability. Lake Ontario's water temps still around +7C. With 850 temps staying AOB -15C, this will create delta ts of at least 20, which should be conducive for creating convection.

2. High inversion heights. Looks like the warm layer is 7-10k feet. That's very unusual for an E wind event. Typically WAA aloft from approaching storms from the OV keep inversion heights much lower.

3. Abundant moisture. >95% RH well beyond the inversion height (through 600mb).

Cons:

1. Wind shear. As usual, we're not going to have the luxury of a unidirectional flow. This'll inhibit the formation of a single dominant band.

2. Lack of wind fields. The flow is very light and I think this is the biggest red flag. There's a chance anything that does form simply stays offshore or only brushes the shore. Had we had a stronger clipper diving down with a tighter circulation I'd be hitting this potential a lot harder.

3. Transient nature of LES. Wind direction is going to be fluctuating during this event, from S/SSE to E and then eventually NE. With only a few hours of exposure to the snow streamers, it's going to be tough for anything to really pile up.

Overall, I'm thinking 1-2" from the synoptic augmented with 2-3" of LES IF the LES makes it onshore, for totals of locally 4"+. High bust potential and the closer you are to Lake Ontario, the better. Ratios per NAM BUFKIT are going to be 20-25:1. Might be a little optimistic but overall we should have efficient accumulation.

Archived