Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 24-25th Potential Winter Weather Event

dmc76

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Model continuity not the greatest with this storm. Looks like the 12z GFS is going to partially recover.

Yeah it took a small step back, still having phasing/stream dominance issues though. Plus it is completely being cheap on the moisture, however I'd take whatever small gain we got.

Some of the COLDEST events you can actually see 10:1 ratios if the flake size is small. Regardless, I will be in Frankemuth Saturday for the SnowFest but mby is still my top priority.

Yea.  Below about 25 degrees surface temperature isn't as important as crystal structure.  When the entire atmospheric column is below 25 degrees, the location of the dendrite growth zone relative to the vertical ascent is what determines ratios.

From what I can tell it looks like the new GEM would be nice for Indiana into Ohio.  Southern low deepens from Arkansas to Kentucky, and then into West Virginia.

It's been fairly consistent painting 0.30-0.50"-ish for LAF. Gonna have to ride it til the bitter end. :weenie:

And for kicks, 12z LOLgaps is close to a rainer for LAF. Probably 5-6" for ORD.

It's been fairly consistent painting 0.30-0.50"-ish for LAF. Gonna have to ride it til the bitter end. :weenie:

I think it's a good sign that even the NAM isn't flipping us over to plain rain (though comes close).

Yeah the northern half of IN, much of Ohio and southern MI look pretty good to me taking in an average of all the guidance.  I'm thinking an inch or two or so for the QC for an early guess.  Hopefully the lake adds to whatever Chicago gets, as some of the models have advertised.  I'm thinking 1-3 for an early guess for Chitown.

Those 850 temps are scorching. :lol:

At this point, I'd be very surprised if LAF sees 34º and rain. Might want to save this post though.

The thing is, worst case scenario with a temp poking just above freezing could still have some icy issues since we'll be coming off of a cold airmass. I'm with you...plain rain not really a concern.

This will be a good litmus test of the Euro's ability (or inability) to pick up on smaller impulses.  The Euro is showing no precip north of Midway, while almost all of the other models are showing light precip at least in much of Wisconsin and Northern Illinois tied to what looks like a northern stream clipper system.  Who will win out?

We do have time for models to change, which they will. I am concerned about zr potential with shallow cold air still entrenched for LAF on ne up my way if the southern solution fails to pan out.  We are getting into the time of year climo wise when I begin to watch for zr.  And I did not get any appreciable LES as originally anticipated here in Michiana with more westerly winds so what did fall was mainly n of the MI state line.

Archived