• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 24-25th Potential Winter Weather Event

dmc76

At this early stage do the Parameters look good for lake effect?

Normally with a low travelling so far south the winds would have too much of a northerly component to get us (better for Burlington, Hamilton, etc). However, the models are hinting at bagginess in the isobars across the lakes which gives me the impression that winds could maintain a 090 flow for at least a few hours. 850s are for sure going to be cold enough. Everything else I haven't checked and with LES pinning down details this early is useless. But we know there's at least potential.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18z NAM keeps breaking off a piece of the PV and phasing it with the southern wave, producing a further north sfc low track. GFS does likewise, but later, which keeps the storm track further south. EURO is like the GFS, but with a more disjointed partial phase, keeping the storm even more sheared out and suppressed.

Phasing. As usual, it's all about phasing.

Euro Ensemble mean is kinda weird at 96. Main sfc low is down in the TN Valley but it has a "secondary" center over eastern IA with significant isobar bagginess to the NW. I'm guessing this is either a result of a significant number of the individual members focusing in on the northern stream wave, or a significant number of individual members having an earlier phase and producing a NAM like solution.

12zecmwfens850mbTSLPUS096.gif

we're getting into that 96 hr timeframe.... I doubt we see any radical shifts on the euro moving forward.   Usual wobbles in track and strength but concensus is pretty good for a weak storm thru the southern OV/ northern Tenn V. heading east.   I'd put my money on a high end advisory or low end warning event for the i-70 corridor from IN east thru OH and the midatlantic. 

Euro Ensemble mean is kinda weird at 96. Main sfc low is down in the TN Valley but it has a "secondary" center over eastern IA with significant isobar bagginess to the NW. I'm guessing this is either a result of a significant number of the individual members focusing in on the northern stream wave, or a significant number of individual members having an earlier phase and producing a NAM like solution.

12zecmwfens850mbTSLPUS096.gif

From what I heard over at the NE forum, EC ENS QPF is farther north than the OP which means more northerly solutions ala the NAM

we're getting into that 96 hr timeframe.... I doubt we see any radical shifts on the euro moving forward.   Usual wobbles in track and strength but concensus is pretty good for a weak storm thru the southern OV/ northern Tenn V. heading east.   I'd put my money on a high end advisory or low end warning event for the i-70 corridor from IN east thru OH and the midatlantic. 

With that clipper-like looking system coming down from the NW, a phase is still not out of the question. Still think we are in for a few more days of model mayhem. Hopefully in the end we can at least get a region-wide snowcover back.

I know this isn't the "DT/JB" thread, but this has to do with this potential storm.

Last night in his video, DT said he saw similarities to the January 22, 2005 storm when a clipper combined with a southern low. That storm gave Toronto 4" of snow, with the temperature hovering around 0F. Do any of the mets here believe a similar set-up is possible?

Archived