• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January 25-26 Storm Potential

powderfreak

These threads are created because there is a specific threat on the horizon, not becasue of a specific location.

Ehh yes and no.  Not because of a specific location, but a threat "of snow or wintery weather in New England."  Prior to that GFS run that was posted to start the thread when all the sudden we were like, whoa that's not a cutter to Toronto but something that resembles a winter storm, you broke off and started this thread. 

If you read back through the early stages of that thread on the 20-24th period, there were posts of folks hoping that one worked out because the one after it was a torch/rainstorm.  We typically do not start threads 7 days out on potential rainstorms in January.  It was just once that run of the GFS showed the potential for wintery weather, this thread was started.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ehh yes and no.  Not because of a specific location, but a threat "of snow or wintery weather in New England."  Prior to that GFS run that was posted to start the thread when all the sudden we were like, whoa that's not a cutter to Toronto but something that resembles a winter storm, you broke off and started this thread. 

If you read back through the early stages of that thread on the 20-24th period, there were posts of folks hoping that one worked out because the one after it was a torch/rainstorm.  We typically do not start threads 7 days out on potential rainstorms in January.  It was just once that run of the GFS showed the potential for wintery weather, this thread was started.

We just did 80 pages of obs and discussion on a storm that amounted to next to nothing/nothing in every major city from Portland to NYC. 

But for the record I like breaking out the threads. 

With this next one I favor the non-bomb scenarios just from a practical standpoint.  I have NOT looked really at all, just working off of the few maps I've seen and the general pattern I have a hard time seeing a sudden change to a pattern that's going to support a major system.  Fast moving flow, fast moving systems and lately that's been favoring extreme coastal areas.   Until we get to Wednesday/48 hours in, that's my thought.

With this next one I favor the non-bomb scenarios just from a practical standpoint. I have NOT looked really at all, just working off of the few maps I've seen and the general pattern I have a hard time seeing a sudden change to a pattern that's going to support a major system. Fast moving flow, fast moving systems and lately that's been favoring extreme coastal areas. Until we get to Wednesday/48 hours in, that's my thought.

I like a 4-8 inch snowfall (high end advisory to low end warning? edit: that's probably solid warning for SNE) for pretty much all of SNE right to the coast. The GFS is too far SE and I think the ECM is too amped. That's not an extreme forecast, but seems to be the best way to go right now if I had to forecast for that area.

It goes back to what Tip said a couple days ago about how fast this thing is moving across the country... even in a capture scenario, its probably going to keep moving NE at a decent clip at this latitude, which I would think keep any real heavy amounts out of the picture. Anyway, we are still several days out, but I think SNE can get excited for a plowable snowfall.

I like a 4-8 inch snowfall (high end advisory to low end warning? edit: that's probably solid warning for SNE) for pretty much all of SNE right to the coast. The GFS is too far SE and I think the ECM is too amped. That's not an extreme forecast, but seems to be the best way to go right now if I had to forecast for that area.

It goes back to what Tip said a couple days ago about how fast this thing is moving across the country... even in a capture scenario, its probably going to keep moving NE at a decent clip at this latitude, which I would think keep any real heavy amounts out of the picture. Anyway, we are still several days out, but I think SNE can get excited for a plowable snowfall.

I was thinking more like 6-12" of snow.

I broke off the thread becasue we had 2 threats on the table not becasue it showed a winter storm in someones backyard.

I haven't looked at much so that's a big disclaimer but in this pattern I'd favor a fast moving few inches and would favor SE areas the most. 

Just tossing this out there but I don't think the later RGEM really supported what the Euro was doing even at the 48  hour range.  Doesn't mean it's wrong, but the Canadian stuff has been good as of late.

IE if I had to do a compromise it'd be the GGEM/GFS for right now. 

I haven't looked at much so that's a big disclaimer but in this pattern I'd favor a fast moving few inches and would favor SE areas the most. 

Just tossing this out there but I don't think the later RGEM really supported what the Euro was doing even at the 48  hour range.  Doesn't mean it's wrong, but the Canadian stuff has been good as of late.

IE if I had to do a compromise it'd be the GGEM/GFS for right now. 

That's where I am at this point. This doesn't seem to be the winter for classic, amplified coastals.

That's where I am at this point. This doesn't seem to be the winter for classic, amplified coastals.

At first glance the 6z RGEM, 0z GGEM and 6z GFS are all in reasonable enough agreement across the Pacific NW at 48 hours.  The Euro is out on its own with a more amplified structure that doesn't dip at all into Oregon.  From there the changes amplify.   The GFS/GGEM even the JMA are all in decent agreement that the energy will be elongated up there.   The net effect is later on the Euro is a bit more amplified and probably a little faster as the energy didn't get slowed down up in the NW.

We'll see, but I'll take the less amplified solutions and regardless we're probably 24-36 hours way from having a clearer picture anyway.  WIth modeling where it's been lately....I'll reserve judgment and have no excitement at all for another day or two.  This could be a near/whiff, or something still more amplified like the Euro but I really lean SE.  Will revisit tonight.

You talking about Caroga Lake, NY? In the central southern adriondacks? 0z EURO looks pretty dry in that area. Euro snowmaps dont show anything. I still think that area could do well in this storm as I dont believe the north trend is over.

So let me get this straight.   I leave the cursed land of the Mid Atlantic....come north to the usual promised land, and DC will get their first significant snow of the season and I'll be bone dry.

Seems about right.  :axe:

Archived