joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12/29 Winter Storm OBS/Disco Part II

earthlight

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Port Jeff, LINY. What I don't get is, 2009-10 was a worldwide scorcher, a strong El Niño, and yet MA to NE (at least NYc metro) is clobbered. This year? A dominating -AO, for most part -NAO, and yet---crap results thus far. Why? Dr Judah Cohen was right about dominant -AO; rest of pattern has just been garbage. I guess ENSO neutral regimes really can't be depended upon...

I took a drive up to the highest point in Port Jeff (elevation 276 feet) and some wet snowflakes were mixed in...but nothing special.

Rain/snow line appears to have reached maximum NW extent in far W NJ and SE PA. Watch for it to start retreating back there now. Still advancing into NE NJ and NYC though.

yup, looks that way, im thinking the changover back is probably now for 1-2 hours now, but this is a tough storm to call, 10-15 miles and very different conditions

Climatologically speaking, I-287 is normally where the rain/snow line ends up during these events.

Still all snow here, that rain/snow line got so close to me but I never saw any rain, though the snow did take on a more icy texture when I was outside a few minutes ago. Starting to pick up again.

Exactly. From what I always remembered since my youth (1980's) a moderate clip of snow followed by sleet and eventually drizzle was quite the norm. If you get 3-4 events per year of 2-4 inches with mix on the end, you eventually get to your average of 25-27 inches per year.

The problem is that with the exception of last yr the last decade spoiled most.. This was a typical event back in the day

Archived