• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
12/30 Coastal Part II - Snowing Our Way Into NYE

Clinch Leatherwood

Anyone care to make a nowcast / verification check on H5 of the 12z/18z models... can we predict based on current mesoanalysis where 0z suite will trend before it comes out?

Correct me if I'm wrong:

On 23z RAP at 1 hr vs. 18z NAM/GFS at same period: I'm seeing significantly more vorticity and maximum centered a good 50+ miles more east at the Missouri-Arkansas border... if true and incorporated into 0z suite, we could see a further trend NW due to earlier capture.

Nice catch...NAM seemed to initialize it pretty well but it definitely made some height field adjustments (slightly more amplified) to the east compared to the 6hr 18z run.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol SWCT slant. Im sure some do. However, I do know of grinch and myself. technically in SWCT however, both at a very high elevation for our area, which is why we do so well compared to most.. for example.. i work 13 miles south of where I live seymour to stratford.. there is no snow in stratford, in fact no snow in derby 5 miles away, however at my house, and probably grinch between 600-800 elevation we have 3-5" of snow on the ground.. I fully expect tomorrow to get more precip than the SWCT coast even though we might see less QPF.

Thanks Ginx.

Seems significant, we'll see how it plays out. Always nice to add a little more meteorology / forecasting / analysis to all the model-humping... trying to predict trends before the 0z spits out the answer. I (and Fella / Zeus / Coastal) want a piece of that commahead... it's been 2 years.

(and I'm flattered... I'll be back on the bench when Saki is back online)

I'm actually impressed with the disco this evening in between rpm musings. Good stuff.

A slight nw tick is possible as we've discuss. Hopefully it comes to fruition.

Thanks Ginx.

Seems significant, we'll see how it plays out. Always nice to add a little more meteorology / forecasting / analysis to all the model-humping... trying to predict trends before the 0z spits out the answer. I (and Fella / Zeus / Coastal) want a piece of that commahead... it's been 2 years.

N

(and I'm flattered... I'll be back on the bench when Saki is back online)

On the way home from work I was thinking back to years past when the Euro would show an absolute beast for a run three days out, lose it and then gradually come back to it. That would be awesome for my good friends out in the eastern areas who most definetly deserve a blast from the past. At least it will get them to simmer down. Please please do not let Ray get shafted, I fear for his sanity.j.k

this thread has more ups and downs than a prime time soap opera lol

let us not all forget that there was one particular se ct/ southern and central ri hit in recent times...12-19-10

a couple friends of mine down there said there was easily 20 to 24 inches and insane drifts, 2-3 in/hr snowfall rates, etc. so it can happen down that way and has as of late as well

Personally, I think 8-9" is on the higher end of things right now, but that s/w is really looking decent compared to modeling. I think this thing has a potential to come in slightly sharper even still. I think there'll be widespread 5-7" totals, but with 8-9" embedded amounts from Woonsocket eastward.

I'm just tossing around ideas, but I do think it's possible.

This seems very reasonable. Short duration means high bust potential. And you can't even guarentee 5" (would take several hours of mod - heavy snow), although that seems a good bet. A handful of model runs and individual ens members have sporadically ramped up QPF, so it has to be considered viable. But it will likely become a nowcasting situation. And there are usually imbedded heavier bands that will determine who cashes in... just check the radar in southern IL into IN.

The northern stream s/w sure does look potent, but I've noticed that its steadily increasing strengh on the guidance over the past 2 days has not translated into significantly higher QPF in SNE. I think the changes have mostly benefited IL, IN, KY, OH, PA, and parts of NY. At this point I think the heaviest stuff stays offshore and eastern areas receive a moderate snowstorm. But we've all seen less impressive storms deliver double digit totals.

this thread has more ups and downs than a prime time soap opera lol

let us not all forget that there was one particular se ct/ southern and central ri hit in recent times...12-19-10

a couple friends of mine down there said there was easily 20 to 24 inches and insane drifts, 2-3 in/hr snowfall rates, etc. so it can happen down that way and has as of late as well

Best storm since 78 on the RI beach front, I posted about a gizillion PF type pics that week.

those meso models are the ones that scare me. they are a whole different story from the globals.

This is the type of system that meso models score a coup on...very potent vortmax and fariyl compact system. We saw the meso models take the globals to the woodshed in 1/12/11.

I just wish the NAM was more reliable recently.

This is the type of system that meso models score a coup on...very potent vortmax and fariyl compact system. We saw the meso models take the globals to the woodshed in 1/12/11.

I just wish the NAM was more reliable recently.

yeah - that's been in the back of my mind. the last 2 runs of the NAM have been basically a 9-14" plastering out here. some of those other crazy nmm runs have been similar.

but i despise the NAM and all of the models run off of it.

Archived