joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Storm obs snow/ice/rain/wind 12/26/12

Allsnow

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I respectfully beg to differ. If it snows like this until dark, we'll easily have 3 or 4 inches. And that's a MAJOR difference versus 'less than a half inch' on what is a work day and heavy travel day.

I'm not criticizing, just providing an observation versus a forecast to inform, and perhaps even folks from the NWS are peeking in. I also don't think it's likely we stay all frozen, and I never said anything close to that.

my post was not directed towards you per say... its certainly not the easiest task in the world to forecast exactly where snow/mix/rain line evolves so yes, there will be "busts" so to speak in some peoples backyards.

my post was not directed towards you per say... its certainly not the easiest task in the world to forecast exactly where snow/mix/rain line evolves so yes, there will be "busts" so to speak in some peoples backyards.

It's all good man. Just riled up --- cuz I haven't seen snow like this in a while! Pouring a glass of 10 year tawny port to stay warm and going for a walk! LIfe is good.

The 850 line is still down near Toms River so that's why I think you have a while and that it's probably not raining in Linden. Temperatures could be warmer at 800mb but wouldn't that support more of a snow/sleet mix considering how cold 850s and 925s are as well as the surface?

Once you melt the snowflake, there is no turning back. If it only partially melts before moving back into a below freezing layer, it will refreeze into some type of pellet...If it fully melts in that warm layer, then it falls as rain/freezing rain to the ground (unless there is a -8C layer between there and the ground to reform an ice pellet)

Archived