joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Pattern and Storm Discussion

Cold Rain

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

before I get banned or told to take this to the banter thread...

Strong, I really appreciate the Fox promotion to chief.. so where do I send the check? your addr sir?

Franklin is a good friend... and Burger, nothing but love for ya... you are one of the better posters on here and have enjoyed your Euro play-by-plays since you seem to get the maps more quickly than anyone on the eastern seaboard

Delta, msuwx & Foothills are all good friends and have knowledgeable input, but I'm not telling you anything you don't know

Back on topic: let's hope the subtropical jet keeps kicking and the SOI can at least stay negative at times. The more systems we get to roll across the higher the probability we cash.

Welcome aboard! Definitely mad props for the screen name. :thumbsup:

Strong, I really appreciate the Fox promotion to chief.. so where do I send the check? your addr sir?

Franklin is a good friend... and Burger, nothing but love for ya... you are one of the better posters on here and have enjoyed your Euro play-by-plays since you seem to get the maps more quickly than anyone on the eastern seaboard

Delta, msuwx & Foothills are all good friends and have knowledgeable input, but I'm not telling you anything you don't know

Back on topic: let's hope the subtropical jet keeps kicking and the SOI can at least stay negative at times. The more systems we get to roll across the higher the probability we cash.

Welcome! Thanks for the extra input! looking forward to your posts this winter!

Welcome.

Welcome to the board and post often........ What's your location?

Gville ,SC .Andy Wood.Fox 21.Best met in Greenville! I think the Jan 2-3 time frame is looking good.its been modeled for a while now,and the good snow pack building up will help the cold air involved

really appreciate the kind words in this thread

I have to say that the longer I forecast weather, the more humbling this science becomes, especially when you think you may know more than the next person

also, excuse the question, but how do I make my location visible all that other stuff on the side? TIA

Welcome aboard good to have another met from the se.. Post often i enjoy reading people's thoughts especially red taggers!!!

I have to say that the longer I forecast weather, the more humbling this science becomes, especially when you think you may know more than the next person

also, excuse the question, but how do I make my location visible all that other stuff on the side? TIA

Go to your profile and type in your location. As a bonus you can click on the link to the southeast member map that Burger has in his signature. Just put in your lat and long and you will appear on our map.

Andy go to the top of page under your tag name..click and go to profile.

I'd move again first. No sense embarrassing yourself. ***

***I don't do kind words.

Dude - What? I cannot believe my eyes. And ColdRainStr8cashhomey? Bonus round.

Solid look on the 0z Euro with a canadian shortwave (at 144) diving into the base of the system coming in from California on the 29th and 30th (hr 168)... this reinforces the cold over the Ohio Valley and Midwest as a ridge...? (yep, a ridge) builds out west and even pokes up into British Columbia. I had forgotten what a ridge out west looks like. It's glorious.

Meanwhile, the next subtropical piece tucks underneath that ridge as a possible southern slider.

There may be some good looks on forecast models in the coming days with the Jan. 2nd-3rd time frame in mind if we can keep that sub-tropical energy tucking underneath the ridge. If nothing else, January starts off much colder than the insect-infested start of January 2012 in the SE.

edit: hr216 (valid 7pm on the 31st) looks very cold for all of SE as a vortex pumps a -NAO signature and a huge ridge builds into western Canada tapping Alaskan cold

post-8747-0-55429600-1356245435_thumb.gi

post-8747-0-99341100-1356245440_thumb.gi

Solid look on the 0z Euro with a canadian shortwave (at 144) diving into the base of the system coming in from California on the 29th and 30th (hr 168)... this reinforces the cold over the Ohio Valley and Midwest as a ridge...? (yep, a ridge) builds out west and even pokes up into British Columbia. I had forgotten what a ridge out west looks like. It's glorious.

Meanwhile, the next subtropical piece tucks underneath that ridge as a possible southern slider.

There may be some good looks on forecast models in the coming days with the Jan. 2nd-3rd time frame in mind if we can keep that sub-tropical energy tucking underneath the ridge. If nothing else, January starts off much colder than the insect-infested start of January 2012 in the SE.

edit: hr216 (valid 7pm on the 31st) looks disgustingly cold as a vortex pumps a -NAO signature and a huge ridge builds into western Canada tapping Alaskan cold

msl_uv850_z500!Geopotential%20500%20hPa%20and%20Temperature%20at%20850%20hPa!216!North%20America!pop!od!oper!public_plots!2012122300!!chart.gif

msl_uv850_z500!Geopotential%20500%20hPa%20and%20Temperature%20at%20850%20hPa!240!North%20America!pop!od!oper!public_plots!2012122300!!chart.gif

damn cold look.

The storm for Christmas has always been on the edge of being a let down and should have always been looked at as simply a bonus. For once cold air with a good setup is modeled something this one did not have going for it. Obviously it's so far away anything can happen but it's a great sign that in continues to show up.

If it rains, we win!! Can't ever forget that rain has been hard to find for years. Some places anyway, lol It it keeps raining consistently, then gets cold, the two can meet, and make sleet/snow babies, lol. Otherwise it's just a cold drought. Pleasant, but less memorable. T

Yes, welcome! Cool to have more mets in the SE forum, we've got some of the best!!! Tony

Folks ... I would like to welcome chief met of fox 21 Carolina in Spartanburg - greenville Andy Wood to AMWX!!!! Show this great dude some love here!

Look forward to hearing your thoughts here bro!!!

+1.....With out a doubt the best TV Met in the Asheville area! Glad to have you aboard Andy. Please post your thoughts as often as you can. With everything you have on your plate you must have figured out how to squeeze 26 hrs out of each day. BTW.....does Kendra know yet? :yikes:

Well the 06z GFS had 9/12 members with a gulf low around day 10-11, which is good news. Now for the bad news, the latest run of the CFS backed off on the cold Jan, haven't seen the weekly forecast though, maybe it's just the last half turns warmer and the first 2 weeks are still cold.

CFSv2.NaT2mProb.20121223.201301.gif

Well the 06z GFS had 9/12 members with a gulf low around day 10-11, which is good news. Now for the bad news, the latest run of the CFS backed off on the cold Jan, haven't seen the weekly forecast though, maybe it's just the last half turns warmer and the first 2 weeks are still cold.

CFSv2.NaT2mProb.20121223.201301.gif

Have a feeling we are going to have a 2-3 week window ending in mid-Jan for normal to below temps. Otherwise, the CPC teleconnectors looked less than impressive, ensembles. NAO goes positive, as does the PNA, AO appears to attempt to go positive. This winter, in my opinion, will be a top 20 warm one here at KTRI. Looks to me like this is almost a relaxing of a warm - PNA pattern as compared to a cold pattern establishing itself. When we look back at this, it might become clear that the ENSO has driven the winter pattern.

Archived