• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
January Pattern and Storm Discussion

Cold Rain

To my untrained eye, it seems like the Euro and GFS are generally showing the same pieces on the table for Jan 2nd, however the Euro being a day slower with the ejection of southern stream energy results in a more inland track.

Yes, but there appears to be considerable wedging east of the mountains.

TW

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro is a great setup on the Jan storm, just has to work out the timing. I love seeing that huge 500mb low over Maine/NF. That should allow some CAD to show up on future runs if that stays there. The reason the storm tomorrow is not going to be ice is b/c the models were off on that feature w/ the current setup. Let's hope they don't blow it again.

Folks,

The 12Z Euro has no wintry precip. for N GA 1/1-2 ahead of that low because there's no cold air even close and the low's track is too far north anyway.

Let's see if the backside does something as it appears there's some lingering upper upper level energy that will need to pass through well after the surface low.

Nada. Nonmountainous N GA is pretty much shut out wintry precipwise from the post New Year's storm on the 12Z Euro. In comparison, the 12Z GFS has some backside snow there on the night of 1/2-3. Overall, I don't see a lot about which to get excited in the ATL-AHN area as of now regarding wintry precip. prospects through ~1/4 as some backside snow on one GFS run won't do that to me based on my experience/climo.

Edit: the really cold air keeps disappearing as we get closer (worse on the GFS but also on the Euro)...remember those recent Euro runs showing a beautiful very tall W N American ridge and very deep trough plunging deep down into the SE US? However, that was when the Euro was not ejecting the storm from the SW US...it was getting stuck. Now that it is ejecting, the SE is way warmer. The same pattern of what looks like promising cold that never gets to the SE continues over and over. It is like a neverending mirage.

Nada. Nonmountainous N GA is pretty much shut out wintry precipwise from the post New Year's storm on the 12Z Euro. In comparison, the 12Z GFS has some backside snow there on the night of 1/2-3. Overall, I don't see a lot about which to get excited in the ATL-AHN area as of now regarding wintry precip. prospects through ~1/4 as some backside snow on one GFS run won't do that to me based on my experience/climo.

Edit: the really cold air keeps disappearing as we get closer (worse on the GFS but also on the Euro)...remember those recent Euro runs showing a beautiful very tall W N American ridge and very deep trough plunging deep down into the SE US? However, that was when the Euro was not ejecting the storm from the SW US...it was getting stuck. Now that it is ejecting, the SE is way warmer. The same pattern of what looks like promising cold that never gets to the SE continues over and over. It is like a neverending mirage.

You'll be disappointed if you were looking for a cold/dry pattern.

You'll be disappointed if you were looking for a cold/dry pattern.

Who said I was looking for a cold, dry pattern? My point is that the model consensus has been horrible in that it has been too cold over and over again (at least going back to your pre-Thanksgiving, cold is coming thread). We STILL have not gotten to a period (I don't mean just 2-3 days in a row) dominated by below normal temp.'s in the SE US despite being teased with such by the GFS and Euro on many occasions in their day 6+ outlooks. KATL is still struggling just to get down to a near normal average over a multiple day period. KATL's coldest so far this season is only down to 30. To be that warm for the coldest to date as of 12/25 is quite unusual and is in line with the warmest Dec.'s. Now, the day 6+ outlooks don't even look cold dominated! As Clara Peller (and, later, Walter Mondale) asked, "Where's the beef?" in regard to the cold?

Who said I was looking for a cold, dry pattern? My point is that the model consensus has been horrible in that it has been too cold over and over again (at least going back to your pre-Thanksgiving, cold is coming thread). We STILL have not gotten to a period (I don't mean just 2-3 days in a row) dominated by below normal temp.'s in the SE US despite being teased with such by the GFS and Euro on many occasions in their day 6+ outlooks. KATL is still struggling just to get down to a near normal average over a multiple day period. KATL's coldest so far this season is only down to 30. To be that warm for the coldest to date as of 12/25 is quite unusual and is in line with the warmest Dec.'s. Now, the day 6+ outlooks don't even look cold dominated! As Clara Peller (and, later, Walter Mondale) asked, "Where's the beef?" in regard to the cold?

Any chance Atlanta goes an entire winter without getting below 30? Has that ever happened ?

CLT got down to 21 the morning of December 23, and got down to 21 in November also. GSO has had at least a 21 degree Low this month and went down to 22 in November. INT went down to 21 in November, but has only gotten down to 24 in December thus far. AVL got down to 21 in November, but only has managed to get down to 23 in December. RDU got down to 23 in November, but only has managed to get down to 25 in December. ROA has gotten down to 23 in December, 25 in November. Danville got down to 18 in November, only been down to 21 in December. RIC went down to 25 in November, 23 in December. ORF got down to 28 in November, 29 in December. DCA got down to 31 in November, 29 in December. IAD got down to 23 in November, 21 in December.

The cold of November and warmth of November are underscored by the fact that December has not been able to deliver more robust cold than November delivered in NC and VA.

CLT got down to 21 the morning of December 23, and got down to about that in November also. GSO has had at least a 21 degree Low this month and went form to 22 in November.

Strange that CLT got so much colder than Atlanta considering both cities have similar climates in the winter from an average temp perspective. I guess the heat island isn't a big issue in CLT.

Very true about models portraying cold air and it not verifying. Foothills, on FB, seemed to think Sat system is too warm for snow south of I40...no cold high to work with.

Of course you are speaking primarily for yourself and possibly NoGa, right? I've had several nights in the 20's, which is not that common for December in my area.

We don't need a whole week in the deep freezer to get snow. Just need it cold enough at the right time when one of the systems comes through. I'd rather it be warm when it is dry and not waste the cold air.

Of course you would. There is no such thing as wasted cold air. It is a myth. Like the mafia. And unicorns.

What areas does it show Burger?

@144 for TN it shows roughly half of TN with now...southern half misses out with the eastern side on the mountains with snow. NC is roughly WNC and GSO to around RDU. @246 interestingly enough the FL panhandle has snow then @276 there is snow from ATL to roughly CAE but nothing in NC or TN to speak outside of the usual spots. The fact it's showing snow so far south is a good sign to me.

Robert not to hip on snow in NC the weekend! :cry:

Really? Even for the foothills and points west? I think it's a very small chance central NC sees a flake but it looks reasonable for the western part of the state, per the Euro. The GFS is insistent on this taking a more NW run, maybe that's why.

From the far southern flank of the Southeast Membership, since 11/15 I've had three freezes, several nights right at 33º - 35º, and 6 days that topped at or below 60º. Models notwithstanding. However, that is several freezes below my normal for this point, and many too warm days.

Anyone see any good mojo for a bit of sustained cool? I'm not but am praying that I'm missing something.

Regardless of temps or progs - Merry Christmas!

Archived