Newest Member
    amirah5
11/7 - 11/8 Nor'easter Obs

Rtd208

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am incredibly jealous right now.

30 degrees and cloudy here in Upstate NY, but my house is literally getting pounded under that band back home. Have to be pushing 4" there right now.

Its just insane to think that this is the first week in november and were getting accumulating snow down into the city like this. Absolutely nuts...and all of this right after a historic hurricane

And the Midwest had a historic storm only two years ago around this time of year.

http://nws.met.psu.e...0/25Oct2010.pdf

Buffalo had another one back in October 2006.

http://www.erh.noaa....torm101206.html

Just to give you a general idea, i'm about 3-4 miles tops SE of I-287 right on the border of Morris and Passaic Counties. The trip home from Ramsey wasn't fun. Took me nearly 2 hours for a trip that normally can be done in under a half hour. I have 3.5" so far with about 1.5-2" on pavement. The roads are covered. Not even 10 miles to my west, they have bare ground!

Losing the frontogenic forcing. However, look east on the radar..another area of precip appears to be moving west behind the deform band.

Honestly, I'm sitting here in Middlesex County, and we have had several bursts of SN, but no bursts of SN+. I think some on here are being a bit dramatic. It looks like a typical advisory level situation with 2-5 in for most areas.

Also, some are stating how they have never seen snow like this in November. A quick glance of New Brunswick, NJ, data shows 6 in as the highest daily snowfall in a single day for the period of 1981-2011. So, this is event is not as rare as what some are making especially considering the NAO was approaching -2.5 and is rapidly heading in the positive direction.

looks like dry air is starting to move in quickly from the east. atleast on my grlevel3 from upton it does

Also, some are stating how they have never seen snow like this in November. A quick glance of New Brunswick, NJ, data shows 6 in as the highest daily snowfall in a single day for the period of 1981-2011. So, this is event is not as rare as what some are making especially considering the NAO was approaching -2.5 and is rapidly heading in the positive direction.

Yes, but most November snow falls during the last 10 days of the month. A snowstorm in the first week of November to sea level is *very* rare.

im putting this up there with the christmas of 2002 surprise evening snow storm for the tri state area. not the prolific amounts obviously, but surprised that we werent even suppose to have this occur today. WILD!

The GFS, NAM, and EURO were all similar. I don't understand how people are saying this was not foreseen. It was obvious yesterday that the models were showing CSI (specifically the EURO).

Losing the frontogenic forcing. However, look east on the radar..another area of precip appears to be moving west behind the deform band.

Honestly, I'm sitting here in Middlesex County, and we have had several bursts of SN, but no bursts of SN+. I think some on here are being a bit dramatic. It looks like a typical advisory level situation with 2-5 in for most areas.

Midtown Manhattan doesn't usually have accumulating snow during the first 10 days of November.

Just to give you a general idea, i'm about 3-4 miles tops SE of I-287 right on the border of Morris and Passaic Counties. The trip home from Ramsey wasn't fun. Took me nearly 2 hours for a trip that normally can be done in under a half hour. I have 3.5" so far with about 1.5-2" on pavement. The roads are covered. Not even 10 miles to my west, they have bare ground!

Recall our discussion?

The precip is circulating in from the east; that is westward per the ordinary cyclonic swirl...the actual storm is likely to track between NNE and NE....the strong anticyclone over Quebec will likely reduce precip amounts somewhat over the interior....especially west of the Delaware River and northwest of Orange and Putnam counties.

Central Park had 2.8 inches at 7pm and had .18 inches liquid this last hour...could end up in the top 5 snowiest Novembers...#5 is ranked 5.0 inches as of now

On further look they noted "ASOS" under the measurement, wonder if they're just adding up the QPF and going 10 to 1 on it since the observer does not measure til 11pm

Central Park had 2.8 inches at 7pm and had .18 inches liquid this last hour...could end up in the top 5 snowiest Novembers...#5 is ranked 5.0 inches as of now

Do you have LGA? Curious to see the ridiculously low # they report. I'm gonna guess 1.5" as of 7:00pm.

Disagree. An early November snowfall is quite a bit more rare than an early April snowfall. To say this isn't a big deal is very far from the truth.

Archived