Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
11/7 - 11/8 Nor'easter Obs

Rtd208

Everyone report your totals to Upton:

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/okx/report.php

Absolutely, but I see lots of people measuring on grass. Just remember that just sticking a ruler in the grass and taking that read out is going to inflate the true total by a few inches, especially with grass in its Fall growth phase. I saw one poster claiming 3" but also posting a picture that looks closer to 1.5" or 2.0". Please measure and submit totals from a solid surface (snow board if you've got it, or a deck table can work too).

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely, but I see lots of people measuring on grass. Just remember that just sticking a ruler in the grass and taking that read out is going to inflate the true total by a few inches, especially with grass in its Fall growth phase. I saw one poster claiming 3" but also posting a picture that looks closer to 1.5" or 2.0". Please measure and submit totals from a solid surface (snow board if you've got it, or a deck table can work too).

Sometimes the deck table is no good either because you get blowoff from the roof of the house. I remember I'd get measurements sometimes 2-3 inches too high where I used to live from that.

Sometimes the deck table is no good either because you get blowoff from the roof of the house. I remember I'd get measurements sometimes 2-3 inches too high where I used to live from that.

Yes, definitely. Basically wanted to advocate using some judgement and not just sticking a ruler down into the grass and reporting that snowing3.gif

Snow accumulated at least 1"-2" on grass before the roads caught up. If you push the ruler hard down against the dirt ground, you can get an accurate reading.

That's why I measured 4.50" on dirt and 2.5"-3" on cement an hour ago.

This event accumulated on grass 1st.

Yup...0.7 at 7pm, JFK was 2.1. My friend near Fresh Meadows said he was 5.1 as of 10 minutes ago and the Bayside NWS observer's 4.2 at 7pm confirms thats probably close.

I can tell you with 100pct certainty, that JFK has 4-6". I was forced to take the air tran from Jamaica station to JFK to get home....it looked like a winter wonderland. More snow at JFk than my house.

I was very careful when I measured on the grass. I first cleared a very neat hole to make sure that is was visible to me that I didn't push the ruler well into the foliage/soil. If anything I probably missed a few tenths of an inch.

Pavement was easy obviously, but that didn't start to stick for a while after grass started to get coated. Even there however in an open area I measures a bit over 4 inches in several spots.

I was very careful when I measured on the grass. I first cleared a very neat hole to make sure that is was visible to me that I didn't push the ruler well into the foliage/soil. If anything I probably missed a few tenths of an inch.

Pavement was easy obviously, but that didn't start to stick for a while after grass started to get coated. Even there however in an open area I measures a bit over 4 inches in several spots.

Upton should not even report the atrocious .7" in the PNS for LGA. It's embarassing.

I'm right next to LGA and everyone has no less then 3.5". And that's on pavement. Forget the real snowfall which started on grass well before pavement.

Archived