joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
11/7 - 11/8 Nor'easter Obs

Rtd208

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really am just stunned right now. Never expected this...even at 4PM, or so, when we just barely had a dusting on the ground. Now approaching 7.5".

Tell me about it. As late as 2 pm I thought I wouldn't even see a coating. Meanwhile I had 6 inches on the ground over an hour ago. Still snowing moderately. The fact that this is November 8th is incredible.

This storm, at least for this area, is much more impressive than last October. Many more places along the coastal plain are getting snow this time around and a good amount of it too. The storms's presentation on radar and resilience is also much more impressive. The CCB is classic.

just measured 6 inches on the table

That's so impressive for your area. When I got on the Van Wyck at Atlantic Ave this afternoon, there was about 1"-1.5" on the ground. That was maybe around 4:30PM. It really picked up once it got dark. Fairly uniform totals from NYC to Westchester, unusual for an early season snowfall.

That's so impressive for your area. When I got on the Van Wyck at Atlantic Ave this afternoon, there was about 1"-1.5" on the ground. That was maybe around 4:30PM. It really picked up once it got dark. Fairly uniform totals from NYC to Westchester, unusual for an early season snowfall.

its historic especially while upton was going for a coating as late as 4pm

Gotta give huge credit to the NWS on this one, especially the Philly office, who called for moderate to heavy snow, accumulating to 2-6", depending on location, in most of its forecast area early this morning and stuck to their guns all day, even when it looked like the forecast might not verify this afternoon. Helluva deformation band we've been under for the past several hours. Had 4.5" on the ground when I got home around 8:30 pm in Metuchen (on the grass) and there was 1-2" even on the paved surfaces/local streets. Major roads, like 1 and 287 are in decent shape, with a little slush. 31F, so local roads will likely be slick for the morning rush - should be fine by late morning, things warm up into the 40s. Winter storm warnings were just issued for Middlesex, Monmouth and Ocean Counties for a total accumulation of 4-8" of snow. We're already there in Metuchen (now up to 5.5" as of 9:30 pm) and might get to 7-8" as it looks like we have a few more hours of at least moderate snow.

Heavy wet snow was the only scenario I was heavily concerned about with this storm, with regard to major impacts (trees/power lines/outages) and we're getting close to a bad situation in parts of the area, including our neighborhood. I know how bad this is for many people, especially if we have power outages, but it is goddamn beautiful out there. Just took a walk around and some trees are sagging - not good. 100K new power outages in NY/NJ already and probably a few hundred K more to come (had 4.5 million from Sandy and were back to about 500K out of power - will really suck to lose power again - we were out for 6 days here - minor inconvenience compared to the damage suffered at the coast, but stlll annoying.

Something is falling out of the sky now but the snow growth is very poor...or maybe it's just sleet! lol

They aren't quarter sized dendrites; but it is coming down a bit better now as a band slip south off the Sound

<Just like in Marquette off Superior!>

<Ends fantasy>

Archived