joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
11/7 - 11/8 Nor'easter Obs

Rtd208

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heard from relatives in NE Bergen county that snow totals were around 4-5" 2 hours ago, the snow bands mostly set up to the west and the east although the one over Bergen county looks to be shifting south/SSE. I'd think they end up with a 6-7" total which isn't as impressive as other areas but still incredible considering the time of the year and considering how much this storm overperformed. I'm supposed to be back briefly in the NYC area on Friday, based on the latest reports I'd probably come back to a scene not too different from last year's October snowstorm but probably with less downed trees.

I know most of our area missed out on the worst of the winds which were originally thought to be higher...but has anyone seen the obs out of Nantucket today? They have been sustained 40+ MPH for about 10 hours now....most recently sustained 47 gusting to 58. Have also had a gust of at least 64 mph. Pretty impressive...that's pretty much Sandy territory from here minus 10-15mph or so on the gust.

12:25 am...at my brother's place in North Brunswick NJ...near the jct of Rt 130 and Rt1....took several measurements in yard and one on grill...and one on tabletop...for a very unofficial, unscientific but surprisingly close to uniform 4.4 inches of estimated snow accumulation.

Light snow now...but big flakes

Jon in Jersey

I know most of our area missed out on the worst of the winds which were originally thought to be higher...but has anyone seen the obs out of Nantucket today? They have been sustained 40+ MPH for about 10 hours now....most recently sustained 47 gusting to 58. Have also had a gust of at least 64 mph. Pretty impressive...that's pretty much Sandy territory from here minus 10-15mph or so on the gust.

Buoy in Buzzards Bay actually recorded a gust to 76mph! (http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&format=CI&version=1&glossary=0&highlight=off&issuedby=BOX&product=PNS)

Times like this make me wish I were moving back up to NYC sooner. Nothing but chilly light rain here violin.gif

Still snowing hard here in Dobbs Ferry under 35dbz echoes. Banding just NE of KPOU also looks to be targeting the Westchester area in another hour or so. Very fortunate night. Never thought I would see 8" in early November here though the 10" on 10/29/11 should have given me a clue. Elevation definitely playing a role as it's sticking much better here in Westchester than in the City. Town has been hovering around 30.5F so probably a few ticks cooler in the hills.

Measured 4" of snow on my "board" (table on my deck in the backyard in an undisturbed area) around 8:30 pm when I got home, then wiped it clean and got another 2.5" since then for a total of 6.5" here in Metuchen. Was a bit of compaction, as I measured an avg. of about 6.25" on the grass. Snow is just about over, as per the radar. What an amazing surprise - gorgeous out there - just shoveled, which I love doing while the snow is falling, especially late at night when nobody is around - was about 2-3" on the driveway, so easy to shovel.

Freehold New Jersey averages 90 inches of snow per year? Everywhere I go it says 20 inches per year? Is your signature correct?

Btw awesome surprise storm for you guys down there.

LOL no i live in Central ny state (herkimer county), just south of the dacks..I'm down here a lot though at the in laws..Just changed the location for the time being..

Archived