joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
11/7 - 11/8 Nor'easter Obs

Rtd208

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will melt fast in most areas...heading to the mid 40's today and ground is still fairly warm...

it will melt but your last statement is just filled with laughable ignorance. it stuck everywhere. the warm ground argument is one of the worst on this board. if it snows hard enough, it sticks. period, always. it will melt today because it's november 10th and the sun will be out and the air temperature will be over 40 degrees.

it will melt but your last statement is just filled with laughable ignorance. it stuck everywhere. the warm ground argument is one of the worst on this board. if it snows hard enough, it sticks. period, always. it will melt today because it's november 10th and the sun will be out and the air temperature will be over 40 degrees.

Second week of November is actually the same sun angle as the end of January. Not exactly the strongest insolation.

Agree on that point at least...honestly, not sure how/or if warm ground would affect snow that has already fallen...streets here went to wet almost as soon as they were plowed...anyone?

Sun angle is low today-almost as low as it gets....so that's not really a factor

-

Also debunked with this storm-ocean water temps can be quite warm and get all snow-started and ended as snow here despite LIS water temps in the high 50's.

Agree on that point at least...honestly, not sure how/or if warm ground would affect snow that has already fallen...streets here went to wet almost as soon as they were plowed...anyone?

Sun angle is low today-almost as low as it gets....so that's not really a factor

-

Also debunked with this storm-ocean water temps can be quite warm and get all snow-started and ended as snow here despite LIS water temps in the high 50's.

The ground IS warm, relatively speaking. It's not frozen and it's retaining heat. Sure the snow will stick if it comes down hard but if the ground temperature is above freezing the melting process will begin immediately, sun or no sun.

The ground IS warm, relatively speaking. It's not frozen and it's retaining heat. Sure the snow will stick if it comes down hard but if the ground temperature is above freezing the melting process will begin immediately, sun or no sun.

I was at 37 this morning leving the house, it was 32 during the heavy snow and any water was frozen on the ground. Upton forecasting a high of 49 that seems too agressive but low 40s should melt most of the snow given how water loged it is.

You had a north wind since you're in CT. It wouldn't matter if the sound was 70 degrees. With a stiff northerly wind all that heat would be blown to the north shore of Long Island.

Last October the NE wind off the sound killed the snow on the immediate north shore. It was raining by my house meanwhile just a couple miles west it was snowing. They had a better wind off the Bronx and New England meanwhile I had a 20 miles fetch off the sound.

This was an odd storm for them. They barely got below 34F; most of the time they were 34-35.

im sorry but its DISGUSTING that they put down LGA at 1.1.Im a 5 minute drive from LGA. we started snowing at aprox 2pm yesterday. by 11pm. I measured 5.7 inches in multiple spots. Nuf said

You had a north wind since you're in CT. It wouldn't matter if the sound was 70 degrees. With a stiff northerly wind all that heat would be blown to the north shore of Long Island.

Last October the NE wind off the sound killed the snow on the immediate north shore. It was raining by my house meanwhile just a couple miles west it was snowing. They had a better wind off the Bronx and New England meanwhile I had a 20 miles fetch off the sound.

Agree..I heard so many people around here say yesterday before the event began "we're near the water so we won't get anything" or "the water is 58 degrees, it will turn to rain" (not people on the board, folks around town/friends/family etc)

I'm not sure many of us saw a single drop of rain during this storm, at least away from the coast.

Remarkable.

It started as rain or a rain snow mix at NYC, LGA, JFK, TEB, EWR, FRG, ISP, SMQ, HWV... essentially Long Island, the city and immediate environs, and central NJ.

Archived