Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
11/7 - 11/8 Nor'easter Obs

Rtd208

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know most of our area missed out on the worst of the winds which were originally thought to be higher...but has anyone seen the obs out of Nantucket today? They have been sustained 40+ MPH for about 10 hours now....most recently sustained 47 gusting to 58. Have also had a gust of at least 64 mph. Pretty impressive...that's pretty much Sandy territory from here minus 10-15mph or so on the gust.

Nantucket had a peak wind gust 68mph. We missed out on the stronger winds here, because the track was further east and winds were more northerly. Not that was a bad thing though.

man, got shafted down here philly. 0z models from last night had us jackpot'd. just some on and off snow showers all day.

congrats to you all. awesome pics and pure weenie post (in a good way) . basically why we all come here and discuss weather. Remember, its only november!!!

Wow at the two images of 1'+ of snow!

Central Long Island went quiet around 9 or so- precip shield filled in nicely and now my car is covered again in what looks to be about 1 inch of snow. I'd guess we have at least 2 to 2.5 inches total right now. Rotation and change in wind direction could yield more snow. Would not be surprised if winds coming from the north picked up moisture from the LI sound and dumped snow on us tonight. Forecast says for 3" total tonight but I'm thinking more like 3.5 to 4 inches total based on what I'm seeing.

I just measured 8" on the dot here in Dobbs Ferry. We might get a piece of the band in between Torrington CT and Poughkeepsie NY but it won't be nearly as heavy.

wow really? You must of missed being in that heavy band that got western li, nyc, sw ct into nj i had 7" at 11ish. Going out right now

Measured 2.9" of snow at 1:30 AM with perhaps the best snow of the day currently in progress...

3.2" at 2:05 AM...but some warmer air has circulated in...temp now 33.9 F...even with flow from the north...not strange with even the Gulf of Maine still having a water temp near 50 F...or maybe, more simply, from the persistent flow off the mid 50's Sound and the offshore storm's decaying circulation...

Still snowing hard here in Dobbs Ferry under 35dbz echoes. Banding just NE of KPOU also looks to be targeting the Westchester area in another hour or so. Very fortunate night. Never thought I would see 8" in early November here though the 10" on 10/29/11 should have given me a clue. Elevation definitely playing a role as it's sticking much better here in Westchester than in the City. Town has been hovering around 30.5F so probably a few ticks cooler in the hills.

I agree on the elevation, I live right next to the Hudson River in Yonkers and while I have not measured we are no where near 8 inches, however when I drove up Odell ave to Executive blvd, I noticed a huge difference.

Edit, it's amazing the influence of the river, my area looks like it hardly snowed and simply driving up a hill towards the Saw Mill Pkwy changes everything

My temp has gone up 3 degrees since the snow stopped, to 35 degrees. Melting pretty good already. Just went outside and I can hear all the dripping from the trees. This snow won't stay around long, but what an incredible scene for early November.

An interesting difference, after Snowtober, many places managed to dip below freezing several times.

Archived