Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
11/7 - 11/8 Nor'easter Obs

Rtd208

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can definitely see the SE movement of the westward edge beginning in the last few frames. Will be interesting to see where/when that stops and the "end of storm deform death band" that loves to set up around the bight over the past several years. Crazy storm guys! Sandy happened only days before I was due to come to NY, and now this just a couple of days after I left to head back south. My fiance (who lives in NYC) gets a huge kick out of what a storm shield I am. You're welcome!

Dry air pushing swd from NW NJ is tightening the convergence and causing the deform band to intensify over CNJ. Echos getting more impressive over Monmouth and Mercer again. This may continue for another couple hours.

Classic NW fringe convergence band...can't wait to see what the conditions are like as it begins to slide east.

Classic NW fringe convergence band...can't wait to see what the conditions are like as it begins to slide east.

We may be looking at totals of a foot for some locations when all is said and done. Incredible banding w/ this storm and as someone earlier noted, akin to Boxing day. This probably would've been a HECS another month from now. Long duration heavy snows.

Could be some moderate to heavy snows over Long Island between midnight and 2 AM...<possibly>

It certainly has been snowing at a respectable pace out here the last while; we now have 5.6 cm's on the ground at 11:30 PM (sounds better than the equivalent 2.2 inches).

However, Id say visibility is still at least half a mile; we'll see if it falls lower if we get under some of these better bands...

Just got to my brother's place in North Brunswick after working since 6 am in Newark. Quite the ride...roads were nasty but passable..biggest danger driving is the very uneven driving conditions over even short sections of road...wet to slushy to packed snow in the space of feet, not miles. Most road signs unreadable from wind blown pasting of snow....some trees bending under weight along my route. Many of my coworkers from monmouth county got calls from home about power being out from about 5pm on. I think a bit over 4 inches here right now....too tired to measure. I remember saying in the philly thread yesterday that these deformation bands especially in marginal temp situations...are so hard to nail...seemed like every model run targeted a different sub-region within the BWI to NYC corridor...so glad I opted to leave at 10pm instead of midnight.

I know the storm is still going on, but I wanted to take a moment to comment on how terrific this thread has been today and tonight. As a group, we have some really awesome posters in here..and even those who were new and learning the past few winters have really stepped it up. I don't think I had to moderate a single post the entire day. Thank you to everyone and I hope you're all enjoying this as much as I am. Here's to hoping it's the first of many over the next several months.

Dry air pushing swd from NW NJ is tightening the convergence and causing the deform band to intensify over CNJ. Echos getting more impressive over Monmouth and Mercer again. This may continue for another couple hours.

Very impressive continuous heavy snow. So far by me luckily the winds arent too bad or we'd have trees and branches everywhere. Trees are bending quite a bit. Likely close to 6.5 or 7 here now.

This storm is eerily reminiscent to the October event in terms of the trees -- which are now hanging down to near street level in many places around town.

Sorry John, I gotta ask. Where are you measuring over 7"? I just did a walk around westfield and measured no more than 5, and youre only a few miles west of me.

How can someone confuse a half inch with a depth of 2.5 inches? Either they're crazy or these two miles maybe have a lot of elevation? Somewhere on the moraine perhaps?

I should have said 2.2" for the earlier St James report, but in any event there isn't much elevation difference. It may be possible that there was better accumulation farther south depending on where in St James the ob wwas taken.

My grass is still rather plush right now. If I jammed the ruler in I could have come up with almost 3", most of which would have been air pockets under the snow.

Appox. 5" of snow. Sounds very reasonable. (I had around 4-5" on the deck prior to compaction). Given the surrounding locations measuring around that mark.

I'll take a final measurement tomorrow morning.

I can confirm. 5" on my table outside and still snowing. Our locations are very close i think

Archived