• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Central PA - Is it really looking like Christmas?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Taking a look out a window on the sixth floor of Walker Building here on the Penn State campus, I report light snow at this time (was moderate in intensity 90 minutes ago) and 3/4"-1" on the ground, mostly on grassy surfaces.

Yep. Probably peaked near or just below 1". Lots of melting since then, though...

Spoke to my wife (who is working at home today), and, being the "WWW" ... Weather Weenie Wife ... that she is, she graciously went outside and took a measurement around noon. She measured 0.5" (the same measurement I got back at 9am) and said that there had been some nice heavier bursts but it was very wet looking and appeared to be melting as soon as it reached the ground. Temp was 34.2 at noon.

Meanwhile, down here in East York at work there was barely a coating on the ground when I arrived to work at 10. It began disappearing as i was descending in elevation coming south on 83.

Spoke to my wife (who is working at home today), and, being the "WWW" ... Weather Weenie Wife ... that she is, she graciously went outside and took a measurement around noon. She measured 0.5" (the same measurement I got back at 9am) and said that there had been some nice heavier bursts but it was very wet looking and appeared to be melting as soon as it reached the ground. Temp was 34.2 at noon.

Meanwhile, down here in East York at work there was barely a coating on the ground when I arrived to work at 10. It began disappearing as i was descending in elevation coming south on 83.

She's a keeper! If I had asked my wife if it was snowing at home, she'd say "I don't know, it's white outside, figure it out yourself". If I asked her to measure, she would either laugh heartily out loud or throw a few f-bombs my way and ask me not to text her anymore. :(

She's a keeper! If I had asked my wife if it was snowing at home, she'd say "I don't know, it's white outside, figure it out yourself". If I asked her to measure, she would either laugh heartily out loud or throw a few f-bombs my way and ask me not to text her anymore. sad.png

Your wife sounds a lot like my wife...although she did one time write down the high and low temps off my station one night when I had to work late and didn't get home until after midnight.

Here's a couple pics I took early this morning in the woods hunting. I didn't see any deer but it was quite scenic. Pretty much about the amount I was expecting to see (roughly an inch or so). Only complaint of course is that it wasn't a strong enough wave to hammer down like 6-10" as the flakes were some high quality dendrites. Boy did it disappear fast though, and the warm boundary layer temps & lack of really intense snow rates knocked off the top end of the accums some in the advisory area by the looks of the snow reports.

post-1507-0-77683000-1354053900_thumb.pn

post-1507-0-18191600-1354053799_thumb.jp

Yep. Probably peaked near or just below 1". Lots of melting since then, though...

Since all of it melted within a couple of hours of the snowfall ending, I wonder how much the official CO-OP station new-snow measurement will be tomorrow morning. It could very well be a trace or zero if intermediate measurements were not taken.

Though we didn't get much accumulation and it didn't stay around long, i really enjoyed yesterday, honestly! We had light to moderate snow falling for 5-6 hours, it whitened things up, even if only briefly. I imagine our totals may have slightly increased had the temps changed a little sooner. I don't think we dropped temps much Monday night into Tuesday am. When i came home Monday evening around 6, it was 35, yesterday morning at 6 it was 34.

Now that that lil event is over, i'm going to chime in about the "bust". i agree with some of the elder statesman :whistle: in saying that i hope this winter doesn't become a bitching whine fest, calling bust, bust, bust all the time. this thread doesn't have a Mod and i'm not sure we ever had a Mod. For the most part everyone gets along. We have a good mix of posters here, from Mets to very knowledgable hobbyists to weather enthusiasts like me. If it bothers you that much and your constantly on an emotional roller coaster, you should find a new hobby. I hear Pottery can be fun....

this winter, i will use the report button.

Though we didn't get much accumulation and it didn't stay around long, i really enjoyed yesterday, honestly! We had light to moderate snow falling for 5-6 hours, it whitened things up, even if only briefly. I imagine our totals may have slightly increased had the temps changed a little sooner. I don't think we dropped temps much Monday night into Tuesday am. When i came home Monday evening around 6, it was 35, yesterday morning at 6 it was 34.

Now that that lil event is over, i'm going to chime in about the "bust". i agree with some of the elder statesman :whistle: in saying that i hope this winter doesn't become a bitching whine fest, calling bust, bust, bust all the time. this thread doesn't have a Mod and i'm not sure we ever had a Mod. For the most part everyone gets along. We have a good mix of posters here, from Mets to very knowledgable hobbyists to weather enthusiasts like me. If it bothers you that much and your constantly on an emotional roller coaster, you should find a new hobby. I hear Pottery can be fun....

+1. If you call bust, give reasons. My call of underwhelming wasn't a bust call whatsoever and I still felt iffy posting that but followed with guesstimates.

The lack of constant complaining has always set this thread apart from the rest of the board. Let's keep it that way.

+1. If you call bust, give reasons. My call of underwhelming wasn't a bust call whatsoever and I still felt iffy posting that but followed with guesstimates.

The lack of constant complaining has always set this thread apart from the rest of the board. Let's keep it that way.

Amen.

That's why I decided to do the whine thread last year and I am glad someone did it. Hey, it's frustrating, and I know if you whine to friends about snow like some do on this board they are going to either tell you to STFU or recommend a good therapist. It would help to limit it to there.

I do think we overall have the best group...but I'm biased.

It has been windy. My wife and I walk every day and I'm tired of getting blown all over the place.

I hardly post these days. I'm on here quite a bit but mostly keep to myself. Overall it is a very friendly group. There are a couple of guys that seriously need to keep quiet, though...every single time one model on one run shows a whiff you know what's coming..."and the GFS is wayyy out to sea, this one's over fellas. Move on, none of us are getting anything."

Funny, a lot of times it might turn out to be true, but must we read it multiple times during every model run of every storm? It has become beyond annoying and truly mucks up all of the great posts.

I for one hope some of you do report it.

And I personally think this is the winter that true CPA does better than the lower Susquehanna in terms of snowfall. I think we revert to a lot of slopfests.

Just my two cents, carry on...

It has been windy. My wife and I walk every day and I'm tired of getting blown all over the place.

I hardly post these days. I'm on here quite a bit but mostly keep to myself. Overall it is a very friendly group. There are a couple of guys that seriously need to keep quiet, though...every single time one model on one run shows a whiff you know what's coming..."and the GFS is wayyy out to sea, this one's over fellas. Move on, none of us are getting anything."

Funny, a lot of times it might turn out to be true, but must we read it multiple times during every model run of every storm? It has become beyond annoying and truly mucks up all of the great posts.

I for one hope some of you do report it.

And I personally think this is the winter that true CPA does better than the lower Susquehanna in terms of snowfall. I think we revert to a lot of slopfests.

Just my two cents, carry on...

yeah, i miss you posting, i hope all is well and your boy is still playing ball?

What did you end up with yesterday?

Hi Saussy....

You literally read my mind and expressed the same sentiments publicly. I only just last night wrote to Jamie about the very same thing. I decided to keep it private because I don't like "stirring the pot"...but something needs/needed to be said. So THANK YOU! Let's keep our group SANE! I think it's gonna be an exciting season for all of us this winter compared to the winter-that-wasn't last year.

Thanks, yes he's still playing...2 teams. It's a lot but to this point it's still fun which is what matters to us.

I'd say we got about an inch. I only had to go about 5 miles south and there was nothing.

How are you doing? Still got softball?

Good to hear!

Yep, i still coach High School, my daughter is only a junior so she still plays for the school, she also still plays travel ball, so were gone every weekend, you know the drill!

Good hearing from you.

Hi Saussy....

You literally read my mind and expressed the same sentiments publicly. I only just last night wrote to Jamie about the very same thing. I decided to keep it private because I don't like "stirring the pot"...but something needs/needed to be said. So THANK YOU! Let's keep our group SANE! I think it's gonna be an exciting season for all of us this winter compared to the winter-that-wasn't last year.

Honestly i don't either, i like to just get along with everyone. I just considered it a public service announcment!

Archived