• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Central PA - Is it really looking like Christmas?

I just want a nice WAA snow....a good overunning event. I don't want to have to worry about cut-offs and shifts east...I just want to have a solid 4 to 8 event. That is all I want. Thank you lol.

The polar vortex is now progged to retreat to central Russia and stay there for at least a week. This will flood the our continent with mild Pacific air through at least New Years.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just want a nice WAA snow....a good overunning event. I don't want to have to worry about cut-offs and shifts east...I just want to have a solid 4 to 8 event. That is all I want. Thank you lol.

Outside of the big storms of '83, '93, and '96, these are the types of snowfalls I remember most during my younger years.

The polar vortex is now progged to retreat to central Russia and stay there for at least a week. This will flood the our continent with mild Pacific air through at least New Years.

There's no scientific evidence behind this, but it seems like we're right back where we were last year. "The cold is coming!" then you push it back a week or two, and then 10 days, and then mid-month, end of month, the next month and the cold never comes.

I feel that people "whine" about not getting cold/snow because they truly like it, but it's still a bit over-the-top, but I feel a legitimate complaint about all of this is that we really need some cold, at the very least to kill insects and bugs. I've never seen so many insects and bugs as I had seen this past summer in my entire life, and I've spent almost half of that in the woods.

So if people are to complaint, at least that's a good place to go. :lol:

The event for Sunday is a bit more interesting for some of the area on the latest GFS. It actually prints an accumulating snow for some areas before a change to light rain/drizzle, but it's marginal at best. At least it might be something to watch...

While the Euro has a Miller B bomb rainstorm for us. low over SE PA and 3-5" of rain for all. YAY! lol

The event for Sunday is a bit more interesting for some of the area on the latest GFS. It actually prints an accumulating snow for some areas before a change to light rain/drizzle, but it's marginal at best. At least it might be something to watch...

Yea GFS has been trying its best to keep the low underneath PA and Euro has been lifting it west of PA or in the case of the new 12z run, popping a decent secondary low but since the low is progged a bit too far NW, not to mention the first low is already in the lakes and pulled warmer air up... the result is another cold rainstorm with the secondary low unable to pull the cold air back in time. The follow up storm it has behind that one is really piling it on. Very close though, it's going to ultimately come down to the strength of the -NAO. If we have enough blocking I can see the GFS solution but I'd have to slightly favor the Euro take at this point given our track record so far this month.

I sure hope not though. Seeing that 12z Euro... man that looks just like last year around the holidays with the series of storms (even coastal lows) that just didn't couldn't tap in cold enough air.

Joe Murgo has updated / changed his wintercast... :cry:

http://wearecentralp...t?nxd_id=414462

I think he primarily updated the December part of his forecast, which was needed. We'd pretty much need a historic cold outbreak and then some to reverse the departures from the first week of December and finish -4 for the month. A pretty major turnaround temp wise would be needed just to get back around average. However, that does not have to mean that we will not see any opportunities for snowfall the rest of the month, even in the absence of a major Arctic attack. I still think we will have our chances the 2nd half of this month as it finally is starting to look more active storm wise. Whether or not we get anything that pans out is another story, but I don't think we'll completely torch our way out of the rest of the month. It might not be overly cold, and we'll probably be creeping above average for our highs once again by the end of the week for example...but I'm not going to be quick to punt the whole month away. I wouldn't sleep on this weekends possible storm for instance, as I think the potential for at the least having some portion of the storm feature a bit wintry precip is rather reasonable.

Still waiting on the new euro, but dang 0z GFS was an all out toaster bath cancel.

18 at my parents this morning in East Texas with quite a bit of ice. Happy for them!

Have you seen the local news/weather? I haven't seen watched for over a week, my co-worker just told me he saw last night one of the stations is chirping loudly about a big storm for the 18th? I find that hard to believe, they usually don't discuss storms that far out?!?!? i ask him him if he was drunk or dreaming, he said no!

Well the GFS has quite the interesting scenario brewing day 7/8. Huge low from the MW looking like it wants to cut west of us but the block is there from this weekends cutter shunting the storms south. However it shunts it a bit too far south so that the heaviest precip stays to our south although the PA/MD border does get into it a bit. This thing is a QPF bomb as modeled but keep in mind it's still a week out. However tons of potential starting next week and some more threats on down the pipe as well. Looks like we are getting into an active period with plenty of storm chances moving toward Christmas. Hopefully we can get the cold air with it.

Have you seen the local news/weather? I haven't seen watched for over a week, my co-worker just told me he saw last night one of the stations is chirping loudly about a big storm for the 18th? I find that hard to believe, they usually don't discuss storms that far out?!?!? i ask him him if he was drunk or dreaming, he said no!

I gave up watching local news last winter. They are just not good at all - I'll watch when an event is happening live but not anything other.

I gave up watching local news last winter. They are just not good at all - I'll watch when an event is happening live but not anything other.

i didn't think you paid attention either. I just don't think i ever saw them (local stations) talk about a snow storm (potential) a week away. I think my co-worker was dreaming!

6z GFS is ugly as far as a snow storm for central pa. Pretty much a whiff other then Monday nights runs and yesterday morning it hasn't been to kind to us for the Wednesday/Thursday storm. Euro supposedly looks ok. Just have a feeling with the track record in this very young winter, this will again miss us and sne gets clobbered like the 0z and 6z GFS shows. Much like all the storms so far this winter. Sorry just my opinion, and god I hope I'm wrong, would love a 975 MB winter storm off the coast of ocean city crawling away at a snails pace. (Long overdue). Good luck on the future runs people.

Archived