• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Is it really looking like Christmas?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CTP discussion is an interesting read.

Yea i was about to say. They did specifically mention why the WS watch over the LES watch.

OPTED FOR WINTER STORM AS OPPOSED TO LAKE EFFECT HEADLINES AS LAKE EFFECT APPEARS SECONDARY TO INITIAL PERIOD OF SYNOPTIC/DEFORMATION SNOWS...ALONG WITH IMPACTS ASSOC WITH GUSTY WINDS AND FIRST SIGNIFICANT/PLOWABLE SNOW OF THE SEASON.

As for your question.. if we do indeed get a fast changeover and have ample precip remaining to work with, then yes totalling the synoptic and any LES I could definitely see 3-4" overall totals in our area. Certainly an interesting setup.

Howdy! Figured I would stop in for one of the first big events of the season. I miss it, was home for only 3 days, haha its all I was allowed :axe: and was hoping for snow, but nope! I miss PA wx for sure, and I'm def getting a little depressed not gunna lie. I miss weather in general, never get much time anymore :(

Howdy! Figured I would stop in for one of the first big events of the season. I miss it, was home for only 3 days, haha its all I was allowed :axe: and was hoping for snow, but nope! I miss PA wx for sure, and I'm def getting a little depressed not gunna lie. I miss weather in general, never get much time anymore :(

Hey Brandon!! I just happened to go and look at the NWS forecast for Shinglehouse and saw nothing but snow, snow, snow! Too bad you can't be home to enjoy it. Of course, I won't be able to enjoy it either since the downsloping of Blue Mountain will likely eat it all up before it ever can reach here. I haven't seen you on FB recently. Hope all is well.

Hey guys......did anyone happen to notice that in the 18z run today, 2-meter temps over us go below freezing right before the mini snow begins on Christmas Eve.....and then stay continuously below freezing day and night through the end of the run which is Jan 4th. If that were to verify, that would certainly be a very prolonged sub-freezing period for our area....of course with the snow and ice storm thrown in for good measure on the 27th. I just think the sub-freezing temps continuously are pretty impressive and would go a long way towards freezing up all the area lakes and ponds. I just hope we can eek out 1" of snow Christmas Eve and officially have a white Christmas! :)

Tonights Euro decides to pull a complete different wave out of it's hat for X-mas morning. Pretty weak low that tracks Lower Lakes but thermally it appears to remain cold enough to allow a period of moderate snow for most of Central PA. A few tenths of QPF for the likes of JST, UNV, IPT, and MDT. The post X-mas storm is now a southern Apps runner to eastern PA and Hudson Valley type track (still too warm) and just a single low with no secondaries.

So to briefly summarize major models, GFS/GGEM both feature a mainly snow/some mix event with coastal transfer while the Euro has a Gulf low that runs the Apps with mainly rain still.. but a good shift east from the 12z run. It appears that UKMET and Euro have the preceding Xmas wave.

Tonights Euro decides to pull a complete different wave out of it's hat for X-mas morning. Pretty weak low that tracks Lower Lakes but thermally it appears to remain cold enough to allow a period of moderate snow for most of Central PA. A few tenths of QPF for the likes of JST, UNV, IPT, and MDT. The post X-mas storm is now a southern Apps runner to eastern PA and Hudson Valley type track (still too warm) and just a single low with no secondaries.

So to briefly summarize major models, GFS/GGEM both feature a mainly snow/some mix event with coastal transfer while the Euro has a Gulf low that runs the Apps with mainly rain still.. but a good shift east from the 12z run. It appears that UKMET and Euro have the preceding Xmas wave.

Euro is on it's own and when it usually is, it is wrong. Ala Boxing day 2012, Early Nov this season tease, and countless other events last year that euro crushed us but, no other model then euro changed course.

Also no watch/warning fro JST oh well snow map has 6.7" Good enough. lol

Euro is on it's own and when it usually is, it is wrong. Ala Boxing day 2012, Early Nov this season tease, and countless other events last year that euro crushed us but, no other model then euro changed course.

Also no watch/warning fro JST oh well snow map has 6.7" Good enough. lol

Haha I wouldn't worry too much about it, your in pretty much the best part of Cambria anyways. I think they haven't pulled the trigger on a watch cuz Cambria might not verify warning amounts county-wide. Most of the county above US 22 (save for maybe the very high ridges on the Blair/Cambria line) will probably have advisory amounts in general, while the warning snows focus on the southern part of the county and specifically that ridge line that includes like Seven Springs. I'll bet those folks see at least 12-15" from this.

Haha I wouldn't worry too much about it, your in pretty much the best part of Cambria anyways. I think they haven't pulled the trigger on a watch cuz Cambria might not verify warning amounts county-wide. Most of the county above US 22 (save for maybe the very high ridges on the Blair/Cambria line) will probably have advisory amounts in general, while the warning snows focus on the southern part of the county and specifically that ridge line that includes like Seven Springs. I'll bet those folks see at least 12-15" from this.

I don't understand that at all though. So you are telling me that if half the county got a foot in a storm but, the other half 4" no warning? That seems odd. Why don't the do the split warning? Put half the county in a warning other half in adv?

I don't understand that at all though. So you are telling me that if half the county got a foot in a storm but, the other half 4" no warning? That seems odd. Why don't the do the split warning? Put half the county in a warning other half in adv?

Maybe my explanation of US 22 and below getting warning snow is using too much of the county. I think there will be a couple locations that will get there (primarily southern part of the county) but overall alot of advisory amounts. Confidence is high most likely on a high end advisory but not on widespread warning amounts. CTP just updated their snowmap btw, now having pretty much all of Cambria 4-6 and confining warning totals to Somerset. It appears that when the LES/upslope regime focuses heavily on Somerset and they are likely the last places to be snowing when this event starts winding down. But like I said, your in the best part of the county, and Brownstown is on the hill.. so you'll be fine. Its gonna beat the heck out of Shippensburg thats for sure haha.

Maybe my explanation of US 22 and below getting warning snow is using too much of the county. I think there will be a couple locations that will get there (primarily southern part of the county) but overall alot of advisory amounts. Confidence is high most likely on a high end advisory but not on widespread warning amounts. CTP just updated their snowmap btw, now having pretty much all of Cambria 4-6 and confining warning totals to Somerset. It appears that when the LES/upslope regime focuses heavily on Somerset and they are likely the last places to be snowing when this event starts winding down. But like I said, your in the best part of the county, and Brownstown is on the hill.. so you'll be fine. Its gonna beat the heck out of Shippensburg thats for sure haha.

Ya my call for my grandmas house is 5-8" maybe up to 10". Shippensburg my see a dusting.. maybe an inch if a squall comes through. I am liking both Christmas and post Christmas events even more now. Euro Ens looks like GFS OP.

Archived