• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Is it really looking like Christmas?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got home, there's a light slush coating on most surfaces.. even the road. Precip is moderate and like a sleety-snowish type mixture. Gonna be ready to crank some snow once we cool the column just a bit more and get some good flakes.

Also, CTP just upped the advisory for C-PA.. 4-6 inches now.

i have been oustide the past couple hours, if i didn't know any better i would think its going to snow, it certainly looks and feels that way!

Was thinking the same thing when I was outside.

Mag, Billie, Jmister, Joe and Eastern thanks for the updates....Always appreciated!!

I see the Nam is showing more TQPD....is it over doing it compared to the other models?

Edit: Wife is out shopping. Texted me RASN

This is a pretty fascinating and complicated setup. I mean this really wasn't the portion of the system that was supposed to deliver any extended frozen. The front isn't even here yet. Must be one heck of CAD response to anchor in the just barely cold enough air to maintain frozen. I wonder if we go back over to rain as the front nears. In the mean time, mainly frozen continues here. Still a very wet snow/ sleet type mixture... and it is accumulating a bit.

post-1507-0-06231400-1356046317_thumb.jp

Just got home, there's a light slush coating on most surfaces.. even the road. Precip is moderate and like a sleety-snowish type mixture. Gonna be ready to crank some snow once we cool the column just a bit more and get some good flakes.

Also, CTP just upped the advisory for C-PA.. 4-6 inches now.

Wow. Although, man, we get heavy precip right now I would not be surprised if it were all snow.

Going over Skytop tonight was my first winter experience. It was a mess, especially the overpass over 99 and the whole way down from the top to about the bottom, covered in a coating of snow and ice. PennDOT was on it's way to hit it.

Check that. just looked out, we're mostly snow. Currently 32.7, where it's been since i got home an hour ago.

Wow. Although, man, we get heavy precip right now I would not be surprised if it were all snow.

Going over Skytop tonight was my first winter experience. It was a mess, especially the overpass over 99 and the whole way down from the top to about the bottom, covered in a coating of snow and ice. PennDOT was on it's way to hit it.

Check that. just looked out, we're mostly snow. Currently 32.7, where it's been since i got home an hour ago.

The advisory is a really gutsy forecast call. CTP mentioned themselves in disco that these rain to snow things don't usually work out, and that this could be the 1 in a 100 event that manages it. My concern is QPF behind the front. This precip shield is going to soon push off to the east and we will lighten precip rates or have a lull before the actual front gets here (although we could fill in some) . I think once precip rates lighten, the temps aloft will be allowed to rise to a point where it will be mainly rain til after frontal passage. You look at radar now and it doesn't seem like you would think we'll get thumped by several inches of snow but we will have to allow the secondary low on the triple point and dynamics to work their magic and see what we get as the night wears on. This frozen we're getting now is bonus really.

The advisory is a really gutsy forecast call. CTP mentioned themselves in disco that these rain to snow things don't usually work out, and that this could be the 1 in a 100 event that manages it. My concern is QPF behind the front. This precip shield is going to soon push off to the east and we will lighten precip rates or have a lull before the actual front gets here (although we could fill in some) . I think once precip rates lighten, the temps aloft will be allowed to rise to a point where it will be mainly rain til after frontal passage. You look at radar now and it doesn't seem like you would think we'll get thumped by several inches of snow but we will have to allow the secondary low on the triple point and dynamics to work their magic and see what we get as the night wears on. This frozen we're getting now is bonus really.

Looking at radar there is stuff developing in western PA and WV/OH....what do we look for as far as the triple point?

post-1498-0-87397500-1356050060_thumb.jp

Currently light snow, very wet, measured .6 just now, still 32.7. Figured I'd share a Christmas-y pic.

That's about what we got here. Still primarily wet snow/sleet as we get ready to lose good precip rates for a bit . The cold air just straight up won round 1. As far as our secondary/triple point low, you can see the start of it on mesoanalysis down in western NC. This will ride up towards us and deepen as the night goes on.

post-1507-0-01196000-1356050889_thumb.gi

Archived