• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Potential major phasing event this weekend

forkyfork

In terms of interior NY, such as the Hudson Valley what would be the effects based on a track through LI or near NYC? Just wondering, since I won't be in the city but in New Paltz.

Tropical storm force winds/Flooding rains & power outages are inevitable with a track like this. Not sure if you were up here for Irene but it was pretty bad and that will be a walk in the park in comparison simply cause of the longevity of this system

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People will downplay this because of all the hype from Irene that turned out to be far less significant than the hype. This storm could easily not be as strong as the models suggest but they are very consistent with its intensity this far out and storms have a tendency to be even stronger than models indicate. I know it's not a good example to compare the strength of Sandy now to the models depiction of it because it will be a completely different storm once it gets further north.

I came out to LI today and the trees are significantly more along here than in the 5 boroughs and especially NYC...I'd say in SE Nassau we are over 50% and some are defoliating pretty well...it will save us somewhat I think, not as if it was 2-3 weeks form now but we'll be a nose better off than if it was summer...the tree in front of my parent's house here is about a quarter or more leaf dropped so to speak.

My trees in Northern NJ are still probably 75-80% full. I've barely had anything come down yet.

I know this is not Mt Holly region but this is their briefing updated today:

Changes from previous briefing

• The likelihood of the storm affecting our

region has once again increased over the past

24 hours.

• The potential for the storm to still retain

tropical characteristics (e.g., extremely

heavy rainfall rates, a core of very strong

winds) when it reaches our region has

increased over the past 24 hours.

• Potential continues for a very dangerous autumn storm system to affect the region

early next week.

• This storm will be associated with what is currently Hurricane Sandy. This storm, if

it moves toward us, will bring multiple threats to the region:

• Strong damaging wind gusts

• Extremely heavy rainfall

• Major flooding along streams and rivers

• Major coastal flooding (full moon occurs on October 29)

With all due respect, I volunteer NJ OEM. I also am a firefighter so I'll be on the front lines during this storm. I always preach to assume the worst case scenario until otherwise. That means preparing now and getting people evacuated before it's too late. I would rather over prepare and have the storm miss than have a single person die because I didn't think conditions would be as bad as forecasted. The bottom line is people need to stop assuming that just because they don't think a scenario is likely or just because it hasn't happened in there lifetime it isn't going to happen. The Euro, and as shocking as it may be, the NOAGPS have been locked in on this for days and days and the other models for the most part have been playing catch up. Assuming no major changes on the GGEM/UKIE/ECMWF 12z runs we are starting to form a general consensus.

Agree with this statement 100%. Some people will indeed take this storm lightly unfortunately because of what happened with Irene around here.

(And remember the Nogaps now has 4dvar like the Euro)

This is ridiculous. Two left exit regions and two right entrance regions pretty much collocated at Sandy's location. I drew the jet streak directions in green and labeled left exit with LEx and right entrance with REn. The jet east of Maine is an EASTERLY jet which makes that region a left exit region. Pretty incredible. I do not think a 940mb low is out of the cards, at all.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351184181.384967.jpg

Tropical storm force winds/Flooding rains & power outages are inevitable with a track like this. Not sure if you were up here for Irene but it was pretty bad and that will be a walk in the park in comparison simply cause of the longevity of this system

Thanks man. Yeah I was in New Paltz during Irene, and we didn't do too well. So I cannot imagine Sandy.

This is ridiculous. Two left exit regions and two right entrance regions pretty much collocated at Sandy's location. I drew the jet streak directions in green and labeled left exit with LEx and right entrance with REn. The jet east of Maine is an EASTERLY jet which makes that region a left exit region. Pretty incredible. I do not think a 940mb low is out of the cards, at all.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351184181.384967.jpg

:o

This is incredible. I'm making plans already for evacuation, so I'm not doing it last minute. (On the 1/2 mile from coastline and 10 miles N of Sandy Hook.) General public seems to think this isn't going to be much of anything. Most people don't even know it's happening.

This doesn't seem like too much of a rain event. What are the chances Newark airport will be shut down on Tuesday morning? I have an in-law that's supposed to fly out and I'm praying they don't get stranded.....

I'm still in shock looking at what's progged on model date right now. It's such a rare depiction that it's difficult to buy into, but when was the last time we saw a -2 SD negative NAO in conjunction with a northward propagating hurricane and amplifying/neg titled short wave trough simultaneously approaching the East Coast. The answer is it happens maybe once or twice a century on average. The fact that we're even discussing a NW vector to this hurricane as it approaches the Northeast is very rare. We also have an incredible amount of baroclinic energy with the deepening mid latitude trough which will help maintain or prevent Sandy from weakening rapidly as it propagates NW.

I'm in PA right now (figures); I'd love to be back in Monmouth to ride this one out. Yeah I don't think the shore towns in NJ have any idea of the potential right now. Now that the capture idea is becoming very likely, it's going to be a question of where does it make landful on the Northeast coast. Saving grace for NJ would be a LI or northeast landfaul, where we'd be talking mainly strong NWLY winds, limiting surge and flooding, but still probably wind damage and power outages due to the large wind field.

The Tuesday morning flight will probably be cancelled if those winds verify..

I'm looping all the progs, and just looping them....and looping them....just can't believe what is about to transpire, meteorologically speaking....Hopefully we can capture as much research data as possible.....great call by the folks at NOAA for the off hour balloon launches.....We need to maximize ALL research tools that we can muster.....for the use for future generations when this MAY occur again....

Archived