• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Potential major phasing event this weekend

forkyfork

I know it's been discussed on here before, but anyone living in the NYC/Long Island region has always questioned 1)whether a hurricane could ever approach the nyc/long island area from the Southeast and if so 2) what effects it would have.

Generally, it's been said for it to happen it would be VERY rare and, if so, b/c of the coastline, it could be extremely bad for point north and east of the center.. Thus, if this storm comes into say, Sandy Hook, NY Harbor, and points east would be decimated...

I can't believe the prediction maps point to this possibility..

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't mean the strength. I do think the Euro is overdoing the strength.I am talking about the track of the storm.

You posted it in response to somebody talking specifically about the pressure/strength lol

I think the pressures are definitely modeled too low. No way do we get something in the 930s or 940s even.

Only the NWS is allowed to use the term Hurricane Warning. They DO have a warning called "Inland Hurricane Force Wind Warning", however.

I understand but to bluewave's point it would behoove the NWS in this case to leave them up even when the storm goes extratropical. As far as the "Inland Hurricane Force Wind Warning" they most definitely should make use of that if it becomes clear that those conditions will transpire. I just would hope they'd do so in a timely manner to give folks the ability to prepare.

Im really interested what a landfall hybrid tropical cyclone in sandy hook/NYC are with the sustained and wind gusts across LI with a storm around 950mb. I havent experienced hurricane force winds and wonder if i even would where i am even with this storm. Not that i want to experience it anyway

Too early to nail down specifics but I wouldn't be surprised to see gusts frequently in the 80-90 mph range if the crazier scenarios take place. Sustained would likely be lower, maybe in the 60-65 mph area. That's for coastal regions.

Dec 92 idea (of wind/tidal flooding) has been what I've been thinking as well.

See this is what I am trying to assess. Is it fair to say that this has the potential to be a mimic of the Perfect Storm's dynamics (which who knows what that would do to land and lord help us all if it hits land) or would it be more like December 1992 just from the standpoint of damage and wind strengh as clearly December 1992 never began as a Hurricane?

Archived