northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
October 2012 Observations & Discussions

earthlight

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0z Euro WU graphics, have 2m temps near freezing over parts of NYC & Western LI, early Sat AM.

LGA MIGHT get down to 40. I saw the graphic as well. I see them bottoming out at 39 or 38 potentially. 32 at LGA in October? No chance in hell.

Under a Freeze Watch now in Somerset County.

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ

300 PM EDT THU OCT 11 2012

NJZ007>010-PAZ060>062-067>069-120900-

/O.EXA.KPHI.FZ.A.0007.121013T0600Z-121013T1300Z/

WARREN-MORRIS-HUNTERDON-SOMERSET-BERKS-LEHIGH-NORTHAMPTON-CHESTER-

MONTGOMERY-BUCKS-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WASHINGTON...MORRISTOWN...FLEMINGTON...

SOMERVILLE...READING...ALLENTOWN...BETHLEHEM...EASTON...

WEST CHESTER...NORRISTOWN...DOYLESTOWN

300 PM EDT THU OCT 11 2012

...FREEZE WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY

MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOUNT HOLLY HAS ISSUED A FREEZE

WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM LATE FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH

SATURDAY MORNING.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE UPPER 20S TO LOWER 30S.

* IMPACTS...SENSITIVE PLANTS WILL BE DAMAGED OR KILLED IF NOT

PROTECTED OR BROUGHT INDOORS.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A FREEZE WATCH MEANS SUB-FREEZING TEMPERATURES ARE POSSIBLE.

THESE CONDITIONS COULD KILL CROPS AND OTHER SENSITIVE VEGETATION.

I doubt we get as low as the record for the 13th... The record low is 34 degrees set in 1875...for over 140 years of record you can count the number of times on one hand the temperature was in the 30's on 10/13...It doesn't mean much in the long run...The 86 degrees on that date in 1995 certainly didn't...

10/13 top four coldest...

.....34 in 1875.....

.....36 in 1934.....

.....37 in 1917.....

.....37 in 1988.....

I doubt we get as low as the record for the 13th... The record low is 34 degrees set in 1875...for over 140 years of record you can count the number of times on one hand the temperature was in the 30's on 10/13...It doesn't mean much in the long run...The 86 degrees on that date in 1995 certainly didn't...

.....34 in 1875.....

.....36 in 1934.....

.....37 in 1917.....

.....37 in 1988.....

I'd love to see this record drop. We simply don't get any record lows anymore really and so to see such an old record fall would be nice.

.....34 in 1875.....

.....36 in 1934.....

.....37 in 1917.....

.....37 in 1988.....

Where is the reporting station for that? KNYC?

The reason why the LI Pine Barrens nor the NJ Pine Barrens aren't under a freeze watch is because the areas that will drop below freezing will be very isolated. Only the LI Pine Barrens will drop below freezing, but the rest of county will most likely stay above freezing. They won't issue a freeze watch for an entire county when only a small portion of the county will only drop below freezing. I may be wrong, but this is what I've noticed in the past.

The reason why the LI Pine Barrens nor the NJ Pine Barrens aren't under a freeze watch is because the areas that will drop below freezing will be very isolated. Only the LI Pine Barrens will drop below freezing, but the rest of county will most likely stay above freezing. They won't issue a freeze watch for an entire county when only a small portion of the county will only drop below freezing. I may be wrong, but this is what I've noticed in the past.

I think its more of an issue with winds. I like to watch the West Hampton Beach site to watch the incredible radiational cooling there. Any time the wind is above 5mph it just doesn't happen and the temp is similar to the rest of the island. There will be wind issue on LI in general tomorrow night thus limiting the potential for ideal radiational cooling.

Archived