• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
October 2012 Observations & Discussions

earthlight

2002/03 was such a fun winter.. I can't believe it's 10 years ago.. I remember it like it was yesterday.. December 25, 2002, and Mid February 2003..

Great winter.. Where on earth did 10 years go....

Yeah that really makes me feel old! I feel like it was yesterday walking through waist deep snow in Maryland trying to "find" my car that was completely buried. Presidents day storm is near the top of my list no class for a week meant a week long party in college good times!

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

October and November 63 were way above average...October 63 had a week of record or near record highs the second half of the month...1963-64 was an epic winter...One of my all time favorites...

yes 44 inches of snow in NYC and the snow was spread out evenly throughout the winter - which makes it even better - was a moderate El Nino

1963-64 0 0 0 0 T 11.3 13.3 14.1 6.0 T 0 0 44.7

yes 44 inches of snow in NYC and the snow was spread out evenly throughout the winter - which makes it even better - was a moderate El Nino

1963-64 0 0 0 0 T 11.3 13.3 14.1 6.0 T 0 0 44.7

the brake down...

12/12...2.3" of snow ends as rain and drizzle...

12/14...cold front brings arctic air and a dusting of snow...

12/15-21...seven straight days with the max 32 or lower...

12/18...1.4" of snow

12/23...6.0" of snow with some sleet and freezing drizzle at night...

12/24...storm ends as a dusting of snow...Snow shower near dusk Christmas Eve leaves a dusting...

12/27...1" of light snow...

1/1.......sleet freezing rain but mostly rain...0.2" of ice...

1/12.....snow develops at night after arctic front passes that morning...

1/13.....snowstorm/blizzard ends in the wee hours of the night...12.5" final total...

1/20.....thaw with heavy rain melts all the snow cover...

1/28.....cold front with light snow ends the thaw...0.6"

2/1.......mostly rain mixed with wet snow...

2/8.......rain ends as a half inch of snow...

2/10.....light snow...2.4"

2/11.....light snow 0.5"...snowstorm misses to the south...

2/13.....light dusting...0.1"

2/15.....wet snow late at night...1.0"

2/16.....snow changes to rain and ends as a dusting of snow...

2/18.....snow develops around 11pm...

2/19.....wet snow most of the day...Drier snow at night...

2/20.....snow ends before dawn...6.8 total inches...

2/28.....snow from around 3pm ends during the early am hours...2.2"...

3/12.....light snow most of the day...1.1"

3/21.....wet snow at night starts as rain...

3/22.....wet snow accumulates to almost 5"...

3/31.....cold while a snowstorm misses to the south...

63-64 was mostly a nickel and dime winter. The 44" total is well above average, but there weren't any truly memorable storms/HECS.

IIRC, the maps for fall of 1963 indicated a fairly dry pattern. I think it's important to monitor precip/storm track trends over the next couple months as that's certainly a potential foreteller for down the road (particularly in years w/ weaker ENSO ala now). The falls before active/stormy winters tended to feature a pretty wet Oct and/or Nov, like in 2002 and 2009.

63-64 was mostly a nickel and dime winter. The 44" total is well above average, but there weren't any truly memorable storms/HECS.

1/12-13/1964 was a true blizzard with a foot of snow measured the old way...it was a great storm...The 6.6" before Christmas was great...7" in mid February and 5" the first day of Spring...not to shabby...

IIRC, the maps for fall of 1963 indicated a fairly dry pattern. I think it's important to monitor precip/storm track trends over the next couple months as that's certainly a potential foreteller for down the road (particularly in years w/ weaker ENSO ala now). The falls before active/stormy winters tended to feature a pretty wet Oct and/or Nov, like in 2002 and 2009.

October 1963 was the driest on record and one of the warmest...1995 had a similar October...very mild and very dry...

October 1963 was the driest on record and one of the warmest...1995 had a similar October...very mild and very dry...

We have been in a dry pattern all of 2012 - Newark NJ has had about 26 inches of liquid and the normal is 35 through 10/5 - 9 inches below normal

As a contrast to last year 2011 we had 56 inches of rain so far - 30 more then this year - Uncle W - is that a record for a differencein one year ? 30 inch difference ?

2012 - http://www.wundergro...eq_statename=NA

2011 - http://www.wundergro...eq_statename=NA

We have been in a dry pattern all of 2012 - Newark NJ has had about 26 inches of liquid and the normal is 35 through 10/5 - 9 inches below normal

As a contrast to last year 2011 we had 56 inches of rain so far - 30 more then this year - Uncle W - is that a record for a differencein one year ? 30 inch difference ?

It's interesting to see JFK almost normal at -1.19 in on the year while the other stations have been so dry.

Here in Liberty NY, in the Catskills 51 degrees, progged to go down to 33 degrees tomm night, just 20 mile nne of here, snow showers are mentioned for tomorrow night.

If NYC is predicting 50s and rain tomm, itll most likely be in the 40's and here in the 30's.

There will be snow in some parts, a trace, but still snow. just recall october 4, 1987, october 10th, 1979 or last October.

Here in Liberty NY, in the Catskills 51 degrees, progged to go down to 33 degrees tomm night, just 20 mile nne of here, snow showers are mentioned for tomorrow night.

If NYC is predicting 50s and rain tomm, itll most likely be in the 40's and here in the 30's.

There will be snow in some parts, a trace, but still snow. just recall october 4, 1987, october 10th, 1979 or last October.

used to go to a Bungalow colony close by every summer..was up there for a reunion this year..hard to believe what a different climate the Catskills are especially in the fall and winter

It has been quite a bit wetter here with 33.55 in. for the year. Also noticed that their totals were lower than my station for every month but one.

Archived