• Created
  • Last Reply

Tropical Storm Isaac now

BULLETIN

TROPICAL STORM ISAAC INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY NUMBER 34B

NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL092012

200 PM CDT WED AUG 29 2012

...ISAAC WEAKENS TO A TROPICAL STORM...LIFE-THREATENING HAZARDS FROM

STORM SURGE AND INLAND FLOODING ARE STILL OCCURRING...

SUMMARY OF 200 PM CDT...1900 UTC...INFORMATION

----------------------------------------------

LOCATION...29.8N 90.9W

ABOUT 50 MI...80 KM WSW OF NEW ORLEANS LOUISIANA

ABOUT 55 MI...90 KM SSE OF BATON ROUGE LOUISIANA

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...70 MPH...110 KM/H

PRESENT MOVEMENT...NW OR 310 DEGREES AT 6 MPH...9 KM/H

MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...974 MB...28.76 INCHES

WATCHES AND WARNINGS

--------------------

CHANGES WITH THIS ADVISORY...

THE HURRICANE WARNING AND THE HURRICANE WATCH HAVE BEEN

DISCONTINUED...AND THE TROPICAL STORM WARNING HAS BEEN ADJUSTED.

SUMMARY OF WATCHES AND WARNINGS IN EFFECT...

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR...

* CAMERON LOUISIANA TO THE ALABAMA-FLORIDA BORDER

I would imagine they expect a levee failure that will put several feet of water into the area in a very short time. Sometimes there are no good choices.

Just confirmed. They expect the levy to be overtopped by 1 to 2 feet within 6 hours unless the storm moves away faster that forecasted. Evacuating a "couple thousand" people.

Has anyone reported winds anywhere near even 70 sustained today? Baton Rouge is in the northeast eyewall and it's only 44.

HRRR 18Z forecast predicted winds over open water in excess of 55 knots. Not saying it is correct, but winds probably are above 40 knots over open water.

post-138-0-94650800-1346275170_thumb.png

For all the NHC bashing over whether this was a TS or hurricane it'd be nice to have at least ONE confirmed hurricane ob.

Yup, it's funny, all the weenies were quick to bash the hell out of the NHC, yet looks like they were dead on. And now all they can come up with is bitching about 2 mph here or there.

The pictures are disturbing. I hate to see this happen to NOLA again.

All that rainfall just dumping in the same spot.

Who saw this coming a week ago. NO ONE.

SMH.

Actually everyone saw the heavy rain threat coming, it was always being talked about by the NHC, media, etc. it was just a matter of where landfall was going to occur.

For all the NHC bashing over whether this was a TS or hurricane it'd be nice to have at least ONE confirmed hurricane ob.

That happens so rarely, though, that you would get sustained wind reports on land to be close to the best estimate of intensity. Often the NHC itself will reference that the highest winds are over water. The only hurricane I can think of off the top of my head where a land station may have captured the highest sustained wind anywhere in the hurricane was Claudette in '03. Then again, the NHC tossed out a couple of the higher values anyway.

That happens so rarely, though, that you would get sustained wind reports on land to be close to the best estimate of intensity. Often the NHC itself will reference that the highest winds are over water. The only hurricane I can think of off the top of my head where a land station may have captured the highest sustained wind anywhere in the hurricane was Claudette in '03. Then again, the NHC tossed out a couple of the higher values anyway.

Yeah but in reality I don't think we ever got even close to hurricane sustained on land (or maybe even the nearby buoys??) So for all the yelling leaving it a TS as long as they did was probably warranted and one could potentially question whether or not it was really a weak cane in review, JMHO.

Yeah but in reality I don't think we ever got even close to hurricane sustained on land (or maybe even the nearby buoys??) So for all the yelling leaving it a TS as long as they did was probably warranted and one could potentially question whether or not it was really a weak cane in review, JMHO.

Isaac got a lot closer than many, many other Cat 1 hurricanes to having hurricane-force sustained observations on land. Go look at observations of other Cat 1's... usually it's a "victory" just to get some hurricane-force gusts on land.

Isaac was a pretty bad storm considering part of it was absorbed by a front along the east coast when it was developing sw of Florida...We can only hope some of this moisture makes it into drought areas...If this storm struck northern Florida the flooding would have been catastrophic...

05Z Update:

Keesler: Winds gusting up to 35-40mph through 21Z, then diminishing. Another 2.8" of rainfall accumulations through 31/05Z

Slidell: Winds 25-30mph, gusts up to 45-55mph through 14Z, then slowly diminishing. Another 3.9" of rain through 31/05Z

Boothville: Winds 45-50mph, gusts up to 60-70mph til 09Z, then 30-35mph, gust up to 50mph through 31/05Z. Another 4.2" of rain through 31/05Z

New Orleans: Winds 35-40mph, gusts up to 50-55mph til 09Z, then 30-35mph, gusts up to 50mph til 31/05Z. Another 3.5" of rain through 31/05Z

Houma: Winds 25-35mph, gusts up to 45mph. Another 2.07" of rain through 31/05Z

Baton Rouge: Winds 25-35mph, gusts up to 45mph, Another 3.29" of rain through 31/05Z

McComb: Winds 25-35mph, gusts up to 50mph, Another 3.83" of rain possible

Updated my SmartCast Matrix: http://smartwxmodel.net/update.htm

31-Aug/05Z Update: Current cities under strong threat is: Hot Springs, AR - Little Rock, AR - Montecello, AR

Hot Springs: Looking at Rain/Thunderstorms on and off for next 24 hours. Winds 100 20G30mph through the day. Rainfall accumulations of 2.09" possible through 01/05Z

Little Rock: Looking at on and off Thunderstorms, with winds 10025G32mph through the day. Rainfall accumulations of 1.49" possible through 01/05Z.

Montecello: Looking at periods of rain and Thunderstorms with winds 15018G26mph through the day. Rainfall accumulations of 1.61" possible through 01/05Z.

Monroe: Additional accumulations of rain of 1.86" through 01/05Z.

Archived