Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Hurricane Isaac Banter Thread, Part 2

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is The Weather Channel down for anybody else? The way it's down makes it look like it is a network issue and not the cable since I get a green screen with TWC graphics at the bottom of the screen but nothing else. Just cut out 10 minutes ago.

Is The Weather Channel down for anybody else? The way it's down makes it look like it is a network issue and not the cable since I get a green screen with TWC graphics at the bottom of the screen but nothing else. Just cut out 10 minutes ago.

Working just fine for me right now.

Yeah I had that, but it's back now.

I think Issac illustrates the long term problem se Louisiana is facing.

The Mississippi delta is being steadily eroded due to the levees preventing sediment from replenishing the land. Additionally sea level rise is compounding the effects of the land subsiding. These two factors are causing the tidal marshes to disappear. As a result there will be less of a "buffer" between NO and the Gulf with associated storm surges and waves.

Edit: I moved this post to the banter thread since I felt this was a better place to post this in. I was going to delete my other post but it was deleted.

Seems like NHC is thinking people don't have computers and two eyes. The disregard for common sense with this storm has been embarrassing.

WWL just had a 3 minute interview with an infobabe at the 17th St. Canal who literally repeated "people are staying in their homes during this heavy rain and wind" and variations of that wording. Try saying "it's raining and windy" for 3 minutes straight. What's the point?

Television has become an absolute joke.

I wonder why the NHC did not upgrade winds to 85-90 MPH for the 11 PM or 1 AM advisory. We had a SMFR of 79 knots, along with FL winds of 96 knots and 6,000-feet radar velocities of 105 knots to support it. Is it because there are no real observations of recording such wind speeds? Or do we need multiple SMFR readings to confirm it?

I wonder why the NHC did not upgrade winds to 85-90 MPH for the 11 PM or 1 AM advisory. We had a SMFR of 79 knots, along with FL winds of 96 knots and 6,000-feet radar velocities of 105 knots to support it. Is it because there are no real observations of recording such wind speeds? Or do we need multiple SMFR readings to confirm it?

As far as I know there hasn't been any reports over 85 mph. N.O. Lakefront Airport gusted to 76 not too long ago.

05Z Update: Current high threat areas are Boothville, Houma Terrebonne, Keesler, and New Orleans. Boothville looking at continued winds gusting to 65-70mph through 30/05Z. Rainfall accumulation to the 30/05Z is 3.53” of additional rain. Houma looking at winds gusting to 55-60mph through 05Z, with an additional 2.96” of rainfall. Keesler looking at winds peaking 45-55mph through 03Z, then dying down afterward. Looking at an additional 2.6” of rainfall. For the New Orleans area looking at continued winds of around 60-70mph through 03Z, with rainfall accumulation of 1.7” additional amount of rain.

FWIW, yesterday Dr. Neil Frank, former head of NHC who now guests on a Houston TV station, said that it was still possible Isaac would head west and that Houston wasn't yet out of the woods. A few hours ago he said point blank that it indeed looked to be moving west and that he thinks it will hug the coast for a while.

09Z Update: Current High Threat Areas are: New Orleans Houma Terrebonnee, Keesler, Baton Rouge, Boothville, Gulfport, and Mobile.

New Orleans: Looking at continued winds up to 70mph through 13Z. then diminishing to 40-50mph through 30/03Z. Looking at rainfall of an additional 5.8” for the next 24 hours.

Houma Terrebonne: Winds gusts up to 45-55mph through 30/00Z then diminishing to 30-40 afterward. Rainfall accumulation for the next 24 hours is expected to be 3.74” possible.

Keesler: Wind gusts 40-50mph through 30/02Z, then diminishing afterward. Rainfall accumulation for next 24 hours will be 3.3”

Baton Rouge: Winds 40-50mph through 13Z, then increasing 45-55mph after 21Z and continuing through 30/09Z. Rainfall accumulation of 3.7” possible in the next 24 hours.

Boothville: Winds 70-80mph through 17Z, then 60-70mph through 30/09Z, then diminishing afterward. Rainfall accumulations of 3.9” for the next 24 hours.

Refreshed Matrix available at http://smartwxmodel.net/update.htm

Archived