Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Hurricane Isaac Banter Thread, Part 2

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

anybody have any good links to live webcams in areas likely to see the worst affects? i found a few still shots that update every minute but i'm looking for a live video stream.

Here are the bookmarks I have. No guarantees:

www.nola.com

http://www.leonardsworlds.com/info/hurricane.htm

http://cirrus.sprl.umich.edu/wxnet/wxcam.html

http://www.weatherimages.org/weathercams/usa.html

Cat 2 potential still on the table with upgrade to Cat 1 imminent...those eager to call bust probably jumped the gun a bit.

Possible...but as far as timing goes, lots of busts already out there with all the calls for Cat 1 that was supposed to have developed yesterday. No real signs of RI yet, so for this thing to get to Cat 2 before landfall will be tough. However, as long as very slow movements holds and especially if Isaac drifts more west and avoids complete landfall longer, I guess it's not off the table completely.

I didnt know if this should be its own thread or not, but for down the road, how big a dent will this put in some of the drought stricken areas north of the coast?

Should put a major dent in many areas, especially if the westward shift in recent models holds. Definitely too much at once for some places, but I don't think there's any doubt this storm will end up being very beneficial for many drought-plagued areas in the Midwest/MS Valley.

19Z Update: Highest Threat cities are now Boothville, Mobile, New Orleans, Gulfport, Houma Terrebonne. For Boothville looking for winds from now through 29/19Z gusting 60-70mph, peak gust of 90mph. Rainfall looking at 8” through 29/19Z, with rates of .56” per hour. For the New Orleans area winds will be 30-40mph from now til 22Z, then 60-70mph from 23Z to 29/19Z, peak wind will be around 80mph. Looking at 4.21” of rain through 29/19Z. Areas around the Gulfport, MS area showing winds peaking around 60mph, but looking for 9.94” of rain in the next 24 hours. Houma Terrebonne, looking at peak winds of around 74mph, with 3.4” in the next 24 hours. Mobile looking at peak wind 59mph and rain accumulation of 4.3” in the next 24 hours. Posted a new matrix @ http://smartwxmodel.net/update.htm

19Z Update: Highest Threat cities are now Boothville, Mobile, New Orleans, Gulfport, Houma Terrebonne. For Boothville looking for winds from now through 29/19Z gusting 60-70mph, peak gust of 90mph. Rainfall looking at 8” through 29/19Z, with rates of .56” per hour. For the New Orleans area winds will be 30-40mph from now til 22Z, then 60-70mph from 23Z to 29/19Z, peak wind will be around 80mph. Looking at 4.21” of rain through 29/19Z. Areas around the Gulfport, MS area showing winds peaking around 60mph, but looking for 9.94” of rain in the next 24 hours. Houma Terrebonne, looking at peak winds of around 74mph, with 3.4” in the next 24 hours. Mobile looking at peak wind 59mph and rain accumulation of 4.3” in the next 24 hours. Posted a new matrix @ http://smartwxmodel.net/update.htm

where does the data from this smartwxmodel come from?

Given the current radar presentation, I don't think Isaac is going to get any stronger than he is right now. It kind of reminds me of someone driving down the road on a flat tire, wobbling around and bits of rubber flying off. The interaction with land is affecting him, IMO. Only thing is, the wind speeds may pick up a bit more in reaction to the pressure.

Not sure what would be a worse, a stronger hurricane with say 100 mph winds that comes on land quickly and quickly leaves, or one that is a minimal hurricane at 75 mph that sits right off the coast for a good while and is slow to move inland.

I've experienced both on the NC coast. The 2nd one was WAY worse. Nevermind the flooding (we didn't have any major flooding at my house but tons of places had incredible surge/freshwater flooding). Just the howling of a 50+mph wind for days gets to you. Additionally, things that wouldn't have fallen with a 100mph wind in a hurricane moving 15mph start toppling over in a 50mph wind after you've had 30" of rain. Also, places that would usually drain rain water well can't when there's a substantial storm surge so the fresh water has nowhere to go.

I've experienced both on the NC coast. The 2nd one was WAY worse. Nevermind the flooding (we didn't have any major flooding at my house but tons of places had incredible surge/freshwater flooding). Just the howling of a 50+mph wind for days gets to you. Additionally, things that wouldn't have fallen with a 100mph wind in a hurricane moving 15mph start toppling over in a 50mph wind after you've had 30" of rain. Also, places that would usually drain rain water well can't when there's a substantial storm surge so the fresh water has nowhere to go.

I think the second scenario is what we may have more of with Isaac.

Archived