Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Hurricane Isaac Banter Thread, Part 2

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well so much for the tightening core winds that started to appear last night. The center is back to being a 50 mile wide slop of moderate winds again according to the last few passes. It is pretty amazing that some storms seemingly shrug off conditions much worse than Isaac has faced and intensify rather rapidly while others look to be completely disrupted by every little thing that isn't perfect.

This is the banter thread that will Put Isaac over the top.

Extend TS watches to High Island. Maybe I'll have a glass of merlot tonight and call it a Tropical Storm Party, although I'm outside any warned areas.

SW Pass of the Mississippi River. Bad day to be red fishing on a Boston Whaler.

8760922_2411149.png

Great to see Isaac remain a TS this long. i'm loving watching a number of tropic weenies (and those who know better with bigger megaphones) just flip out because "conventional wisdom" about pressure/wind relationships is getting tossed out the window with each millibar that drops. Relationship doesn't always work perfectly, especially with broad storms that struggle with inner core issues, dry air, etc.

Great to see Isaac remain a TS this long. i'm loving watching a number of tropic weenies (and those who know better with bigger megaphones) just flip out because "conventional wisdom" about pressure/wind relationships is getting tossed out the window with each millibar that drops. Relationship doesn't always work perfectly, especially with broad storms that struggle with inner core issues, dry air, etc.

Jeff Masters on wunderground nailed this a couple days ago, granted he got the intensity forecast wrong. His idea was that the pressure would be in the 950s but it would struggle to get stronger than a category one because of the massive wind field. Hardly a new theory, but he nailed the general scenario pretty well.

6z GFS if it panned out would probably cause significant freshwater flooding in N.O. basically keeps them just East of the center for many hours. as it curls west then north. Anyone remember what the pumps can handle? I think its 1.0" for first hour than 0.5"/hr thereafter but not positive.

While it may not be the catastrophic, doomsday scenario that was hinted at by various entities a few days ago (I somewhat bought into that hype) New Orleans isn't out of the woods by any means, and the next few days are going to taxing on the residents, city and parrish officials, and the infrastructure itself. It may be cliche, but I do hope they weather the storm as best they can, and damage/injuries/loss of life is minimal.

While it may not be the catastrophic, doomsday scenario that was hinted at by various entities a few days ago (I somewhat bought into that hype) New Orleans isn't out of the woods by any means, and the next few days are going to taxing on the residents, city and parrish officials, and the infrastructure itself. It may be cliche, but I do hope they weather the storm as best they can, and damage/injuries/loss of life is minimal.

Amount of rain may end up being the biggest story.

13Z Update: Currently Tracking the cities of Boothville, Slidell, and Houma Terrebonne. Right now tracking potential wind gusts up to around 90mph possible in the Boothville area. Right now seeing winds 40-50 through 22Z, then increasing 60-70 from 22Z onward. Highest wind peak forecasted I have is at 01Z at 08063G91MPH. Slidell and Houma areas looking at wind gusts up to 70mph possible. General rainfall accumulations across the LA are to 29/13Z is between 1.3 and 2.7”

Cat 2 potential still on the table with upgrade to Cat 1 imminent...those eager to call bust probably jumped the gun a bit.

But those who were calling for a major in the central gulf get a pass. phew.

I haven't seen any posts to that affect during the past 2 days when I've been followings things. Clearly they're going to bust.

there were plenty of respected red taggers hinting or outright calling for a major at some point. but it's been noted this forum is cup 1.5 full at most times..

i agree there's no reason to call a storm a bust before it hits but it's still pretty likely another case where the higher end ideas were akin to wishcasting.

there were plenty of respected red taggers hinting or outright calling for a major at some point. but it's been noted this forum is cup 1.5 full at most times..

i agree there's no reason to call a storm a bust before it hits but it's still pretty likely another case where the higher end ideas were akin to wishcasting.

The satellite presentation has changed but it's still far from an impressive storm. It just cannot seem to shake the dry air.http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floaters/09L/imagery/wv-animated.gif

Nope...NHC still has Isaac as a tropical storm as of 10am CDT. I find the infuriation (in the main thread) over the fact that this is still classified as a T.S. somewhat amusing.

MDstorm

No worries.. the HRRR from 19z yesterday says it's a Cat 2. LOOK AT THE PRETTY SIMULATED RADAR!

You're obviously welcome to call them out with many many posts about this on your board here. You and anyone else can also reduce your respect and trust for those that wishcast/make bad forecasts.

Sometimes I think what's happening is people are discussing things and others turn it into or call it a forecast, which makes it a bit more complicated. Overall lack of skill at intensity forecasting probably a decent explanation too.

agreed.. i don't think it will strengthen too much more.

I've been saying it elsewhere for 4-5 days. These big storms without a strong central core have a real hard time ever pulling it together. Someday we'll maybe understand why. Impressive to see the northern 1/2 surrounded by dry air which continues to get ingested every time the convection flares putting it back down again. Best case scenario though much needed rains without the devastation (aside of potential rain flooding)

You're obviously welcome to call them out with many many posts about this on your board here. You and anyone else can also reduce your respect and trust for those that wishcast/make bad forecasts.

Sometimes I think what's happening is people are discussing things and others turn it into or call it a forecast, which makes it a bit more complicated. Overall lack of skill at intensity forecasting probably a decent explanation too.

I'm not calling anyone out specifically but I've been at this long enough to know that people with a very strong educational background can make poor forecasters. It's a simple fact that the discussions on this and other weather boards lean toward the positive in almost every instance... of course there are situations where it can't be done. Just look at twitter. You have a PhD in Ryan Maue of weatherbell and he's had some of the worst forecasts of anyone on the storm calling for RI like 6 times that never happened. NHC has done, overall, a fantastic job, so we can only use the "intensity forecasting" problem so much. The rest is wishcasting or something similar.

No worries.. the HRRR from 19z yesterday says it's a Cat 2. LOOK AT THE PRETTY SIMULATED RADAR!

HRRR didn't really do much. I followed the posts yesterday without saying anything. Not knocking anyone it was an interesting study. To me anyone it looks like there's still some interference http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floaters/09L/imagery/wv-animated.gif Note the north south arc of clouds SW of the center now getting draw back and out towards the dry air. What I think some were mistaking as a sign of rapid deepening/eye formation was just dry air entrained yet again. very odd storm, the semi circle of dry air in the mid levels just cannot be eradicated.

I'm not calling anyone out specifically but I've been at this long enough to know that people with a very strong educational background can make poor forecasters. It's a simple fact that the discussions on this and other weather boards lean toward the positive in almost every instance... of course there are situations where it can't be done. Just look at twitter. You have a PhD in Ryan Maue of weatherbell and he's had some of the worst forecasts of anyone on the storm calling for RI like 6 times that never happened. NHC has done, overall, a fantastic job, so we can only use the "intensity forecasting" problem so much. The rest is wishcasting.

I've mentioned the NHC intensity calls as being pretty good so far. I mean...I'm no TC expert, but I think they have done well in their thinking. It's clearly fighting a few factors and despite it looking like it will strengthen...probably will a bit..these things sometimes just don't want to obey weenies hopes. We'll see what happens today.

Archived