Hurricane Isaac, Part 3 - Analysis and Forecasting Thread

• Replies 924
  • Created
  • Last Reply

015500 2953N 08850W 8427 01454 9966 +170 +170 127069 073 079 007 05

015530 2954N 08849W 8427 01461 9967 +170 +170 125066 068 079 006 05

unflagged 79kt SFMR

90 at 11pm??

Edit: Probably more for the banter thread.....but the overall presentation has improved dramatically and coupled with the other obs, would think 90mph is not out of the question.

Still 80 MPH Cane at 11pm advisory!

HURRICANE ISAAC FORECAST/ADVISORY NUMBER 32
NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL	 AL092012
0300 UTC WED AUG 29 2012

CHANGES IN WATCHES AND WARNINGS WITH THIS ADVISORY...

THE TROPICAL STORM WATCH FROM WEST OF CAMERON LOUISIANA TO SABINE
PASS TEXAS HAS BEEN REPLACED WITH A TROPICAL STORM WARNING.

SUMMARY OF WATCHES AND WARNINGS IN EFFECT...

A HURRICANE WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR...
* EAST OF MORGAN CITY LOUISIANA TO THE MISSISSIPPI-ALABAMA BORDER...
INCLUDING METROPOLITAN NEW ORLEANS...LAKE PONTCHARTRAIN...AND LAKE
MAUREPAS

A HURRICANE WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR...
* INTRACOASTAL CITY TO MORGAN CITY LOUISIANA

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR...
* THE MISSISSIPPI-ALABAMA BORDER TO DESTIN FLORIDA
* MORGAN CITY TO SABINE PASS TEXAS

A TROPICAL STORM WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR...
* EAST OF HIGH ISLAND TEXAS TO JUST WEST OF SABINE PASS

HURRICANE CENTER LOCATED NEAR 29.0N 89.7W AT 29/0300Z
POSITION ACCURATE WITHIN 15 NM

PRESENT MOVEMENT TOWARD THE NORTHWEST OR 310 DEGREES AT 7 KT

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE 968 MB
MAX SUSTAINED WINDS 70 KT WITH GUSTS TO 85 KT.
64 KT....... 50NE 50SE 0SW 0NW.
50 KT....... 80NE 70SE 50SW 50NW.
34 KT.......160NE 150SE 150SW 140NW.
12 FT SEAS..240NE 270SE 210SW 0NW.
WINDS AND SEAS VARY GREATLY IN EACH QUADRANT. RADII IN NAUTICAL
MILES ARE THE LARGEST RADII EXPECTED ANYWHERE IN THAT QUADRANT.

REPEAT...CENTER LOCATED NEAR 29.0N 89.7W AT 29/0300Z
AT 29/0000Z CENTER WAS LOCATED NEAR 29.0N 89.5W

I'm not certain that I agree with the last two NHC advisories describing motion as NW at 8mph. Six hours of that motion is approx 25 miles further north, and we all know Isaac has not gained latitude in that time span according to the HH's and radar. It's apparent from radar that it is moving west with occasional wobbles south and north. Why is the NHC shy about calling it a west motion or a near stall, or am I hallucinating??

The increase in winds often lags an improvement in structure. Also, it's doing something: dumping rain.

Well, yes.. that's a given. Given that it's so large it has a big area of the circulation over land.. it would seem odd if that has no impact on its further ability to strengthen. I think its radar appearance can improve without it necessarily strengthening much. It seems to be more or less holding its own right now. Perhaps winds will bump a smidge still...

Well, yes.. that's a given. Given that it's so large it has a sizable part of the circulation over land.. it would seem odd if that has no impact on its further ability to strengthen. I think its radar appearance can improve without it necessarily strengthening much. It seems to be more or less holding its own right now. Perhaps winds will bump a smidge still...

I may be wrong, but it's probably close to its "peak," unless it moves SW..lol.

I may be wrong, but it's probably close to its "peak," unless it moves SW..lol.

Agree.. It's not like it's a tiny burgeoning system eating up massively warm and relatively untouched water at this point. Best case seems like a slow deepening until the center is totally over land but I'm not as sold as others that it sitting that close to the shore doesn't matter at all. I guess a wildcard might be if it keeps going west past that little southern jutting section of southern LA but even then I wouldn't expect a ton? I'll give the storm credit for making things "fun" in the end.

I'm not certain that I agree with the last two NHC advisories describing motion as NW at 8mph. Six hours of that motion is approx 25 miles further north, and we all know Isaac has not gained latitude in that time span according to the HH's and radar. It's apparent from radar that it is moving west with occasional wobbles south and north. Why is the NHC shy about calling it a west motion or a near stall, or am I hallucinating??

1) The maintain continuity of motion over time so they don't capture wobbles. However, I'm utterly baffled by Brown saying "A NORTHWESTWARD MOTION HAS RECENTLY RESUMED."

2) I am very careful when criticizing NHC, but they have a persistent bias towards being very late to recognize stalls or storms doing anything "weird" even when that motion has been captured by multiple models.

The worst example I can remember was Dennis in 1999 - It hit North Carolina, then circled back and came back and hit North Carolina again.

Even given the much more primitive modeling then, several models actually forecast that motion. However, the discussions after the first landfall were short and perfunctory, and the track forecast was a routine recurvature. Floyd was going on at the time and it almost seemed like they were distracted.

They're going to stick to the idea of 5-7 kts NW movement for a loooong time - the next advisory will probably say something like "Isaac has temporarily stalled, but is expected to resume slow NW movement."

Archived