• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Hurricane Isaac, Part 3 - Analysis and Forecasting Thread

As Ian mentioned earlier, short term trends should not be representative of the overall motion, and slight wobbles are very typical of a Tropical Cyclone. What should be interesting though is if this wobble turns into a trend.

this is a good loop to use for longer-term track

http://andrew.rsmas.miami.edu/bmcnoldy/tropics/isaac12/Isaac_28-29Aug12_LIXlong.gif

• Replies 924
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not ready to say we have a direction change, but that loop does show a "wobble" to the west during the past 45 minutes.

Yeah I agree tho I'm not really sure it makes much difference whether it's sitting just offshore or over the marshes.

True, but it would bring more locations in SE LA onto the on-shore flow.

Yeah that's also true. My guess is it'll make another step north at some point soonish tho maybe that band wrapping on the north will try to pull it west a bit more. Got me... but it's taking on more and more 'land' either way unless it moves due west or southwest.

Damage is pretty much done at this point...a super slow moving large cat 1 with a prolonged period of surge into the NO area is on deck...the eastern quadrant piling into that area looks damn healthy and should at least maintain that intensity over the next 6-12 hours. I don't see how NO avoids a high impact event.

I summarized my thoughts about Isaac for today on my blog, focusing mostly on the surge: http://weather.schematical.com/

Complex interaction continuing between that attempted inner eyewall and the outer eyewall/band, looks like the outer eyewall is trying to absorb the inner one to me. Wouldn't focus too hard on center locations with that going on, overall this is going NW.

not bad by the HRRR, it looks like it's just a couple clicks south, looking like this could stay over water for a extended period of time IMO

the center looks a decent bit south on the hrrr compared to actual at least eyeballing. i'd hope it's 2 hr forecast wouldn't be too far off either way... i don't see how it's going to strengthen much more but it sure could stay fairly steady for a while.

Still impressive to see a cyclone strength at all so close to the coast while moving so slowly. Both those usually work against intensification

A couple of days ago when Isaac's track was still somewhat uncertain I posted a link on the banter thread to the following 13th August PNAS paper (edited by Kerry Emanuel):

Ocean barrier layerseffect on tropical cyclone intensification

National Geographic (among others) ran an article on the findings:

Hurricanes can get supercharged when they hit river mouths, researchers now find

[...]

Although the chances that hurricanes will hit regions swamped by freshwater is small at only 10 to 23 percent, the effect can be startlingly large—hurricanes can become up to 50 percent more intense in regions where freshwater pours into the ocean, such as from river systems like the Ganges, or where tropical storms rain considerably, as in the western Pacific Ocean.

"Our study finds that when hurricanes pass over oceans covered by freshwater from rivers, such as the Amazon and Mississippi River, and rain, they can really intensify rapidly," Balaguru said.

The weather channel wasn't sure if they were going to count it as its first landfall or not... Not looking good on the last couple of radar loops looks like the west side is drying up quick....

It would be hard to imagine that extension actually existing at this moment. It is likely underwater.

Yeah. It could be the actual center stayed south of there too. Kinda hard to tell on radar exactly other than that little inner blowup.

No thats because of the convection wrapping around the north quad is prob causing some weak subsidence. It will fill in when it rotates around

The weather channel wasn't sure if they were going to count it as its first landfall or not... Not looking good on the last couple of radar loops looks like the west side is drying up quick....

NOAA DOPPLER RADAR INDICATES THAT HURRICANE ISAAC MADE LANDFALL

ALONG THE COAST OF SOUTHEAST LOUISIANA IN PLAQUEMINES PARISH JUST

SOUTHWEST OF THE MOUTH OF THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER AT 645 PM CDT...

2345 UTC...WITH MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS OF 80 MPH...130 KM/H.

Lake Pontchartrain is now rising very rapidly, with roughly 4 feet of surge so far.

http://tidesonline.n...7 New Canal, LA

Re: flood stage for Lake P (from Wikipedia):

In 2007, the United States Army Corps of Engineers published results from a year long study intended primarily to determine the canal's "safe water level" for the 2007 hurricane season. The Corps of Engineers divided the 4.8 miles (7.7 km) of walls and levee into 36 sections to analyze just how much storm surge each can withstand. It found that only two sections, those closest to Pump Station No. 6 and on the high ground of Metairie Ridge, can hold more than 13 feet (4.0 m) of water. Many other sections of walls and levees can't be counted on to contain more than 7 feet (2.1 m) of water.[9]

Archived