Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Hurricane Isaac, Part 3 - Analysis and Forecasting Thread

• Replies 924
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure Isaac is going to stay offshore... the recent radar trends are not agree with the forecast of HRRR anymore, as it has a much smaller eyewall diameter than what is actually being observed. It seems that its initial conditions its using initialize the cyclone with a much smaller eyewall than reality.

Despite the plain IR imagery looking more organized, it's still not that great looking on any enhanced IR imagery showing colder cloud tops. Unless this goes southwest...not sure how it really strengthens much.

I would doubt it strengthens much if at all despite any positives at this point. Land interaction even if minimal and it sitting in one spot don't seem to be terribly favorable. It's only going to take a small north wobble for landfall as well.

I would doubt it strengthens much if at all despite any positives at this point. Land interaction even if minimal and it sitting in one spot don't seem to be terribly favorable. It's only going to take a small north wobble for landfall as well.

Yeah pretty much agree here.

In my honest opinion, the actual eyewall is still developing and is well offshore, not the larger outer band that is currently moving through SE LA, but instead a much smaller area of convection that is located on the SE edge of the New Orleans radar.

http://radar.weather...101111&loop=yes

Looks to me like it failed to tighten a smallish eyewall for about the 4th time today and is back to having a giant "eye" of moderate winds surrounded by strong bands.

Also, Isaac has a lot of "junk" in the COC...that just robs any EW development/intensification of energy and essentially turns the damper down on the chimney (ie inhibits center core subsidence) That would take awhile to get rid of.

Also, Isaac has a lot of "junk" in the COC...that just robs any EW development/intensification of energy and essentially turns the damper down on the chimney (ie inhibits center core subsidence) That would take awhile to get rid of.

from the disco:

Although not explicitly forecast due to land interaction at 12

hours...favorable water temperatures along with an impressive

upper-level outflow regime suggest that Isaac could strengthen a

little more before landfall occurs. However...because of the

unusually large wind field...rapid intensification is not expected.

I think we're going to see this last minute ramp up the ECMWF has been advertising for days. Form now till landfall tomorrow. The frictional land effects and improved structure is going to finally allow it. Should be fun to watch from a meteorological perspective.

Starting to see a few hints of yellow in the "inner eyewall" on radar. Gonna be very curious to see if that trend continues.

Yeah my guess is to what's happening is that, now that the circulation has largely kicked the dry air and sealed itself off, it's forming an inner eyewall and that there are several spiral bands of convection forming around it. This will be a fascinating process to document to see if Isaac succeeds or fails at meaningful intensity gains if it can establish a more compact eyewall.

Can someone explain/depict the weakness in the subtropical ridge at 30 deg lat that the NHC mentioned in the 4:00 pm discussion:

....Issac is expected to continue northwestward toward a weakness in the subtropical ridge that is oriented east-west along 30n latitude. Because of this weakness... the steering flow is forecast to decrease over the next 36-48 hours...which will result in Isaac slowing down some more......

Surge has risen 0.8 ft at Shell Beach in the last hour, now up to 6.8 ft with water levels of 7.8 ft. It's scary to think about where we'll be this time tomorrow after another full day of water being funneled towards New Orleans.

FWIW The Gustav surge at Shell Beach was 9.5 ft; looks like this will be easily beaten.

Surge suddenly started dropping at the station on Lake Ponchartrain, though - not sure why.

Archived