joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Late August Discussion, banter, obs

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What happened to LL? Did I miss something on here... haven't seen him post in days.

Days like today really are the best days ever... no humidity and low 70s with a breeze under full sun.

He;s enjoying SC jugs & mugs. Heavy, heavy libations

70.1F/56 attm Finished the mowing. Much easier on a day like today. A few red maple leaves were sucked up and shredded.

I'll be hiking to 3700' in the Catskills tomorrow. I'll see how the trees look. It looks great on top...probably low 60's.

Today was the first day I noticed some color driving north from CT. There's a cold pocket on I89 just south of Montpelier where the road is up over 1500ft, and a bunch of trees around the swamps bordering the interstate were showing signs of yellow/orange color.

Otherwise aside from swamps at 1500ft, the only noticeable change is that the forest isn't a uniform deep green...there's some subtle hue but it could also be dryness.

The most shocking thing was the tree damage along the Mass Pike from Sturbridge to Springfield/I91, from what I assume is due to the October storm. When I drove south through there it was dark and I didn't notice it as much around Woodstock, but wow was there a lot of crap down in spots like Palmer, Ware, Wilbraham (?), Ludlow, etc. At first I thought the DOT was trimming along the highway but then I realized it was all branches and debris from October. Crowns of trees completely snapped off and stuff...impressive.

Today was the first day I noticed some color driving north from CT. There's a cold pocket on I89 just south of Montpelier where the road is up over 1500ft, and a bunch of trees around the swamps bordering the interstate were showing signs of yellow/orange color.

Otherwise aside from swamps at 1500ft, the only noticeable change is that the forest isn't a uniform deep green...there's some subtle hue but it could also be dryness.

The most shocking thing was the tree damage along the Mass Pike from Sturbridge to Springfield/I91, from what I assume is due to the October storm. When I drove south through there it was dark and I didn't notice it as much around Woodstock, but wow was there a lot of crap down in spots like Palmer, Ware, Wilbraham (?), Ludlow, etc. At first I thought the DOT was trimming along the highway but then I realized it was all branches and debris from October. Crowns of trees completely snapped off and stuff...impressive.

That's where the tornado crossed. That and Oct.

Yes, clearly notable. The DOT has been working to clean up as well. You can also, if you pay attention, see some of the damage caused by one of the other tornadoes from Jun 1 last year.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/box/sigevents/jun01_2011_tracks.php

Tornado damage is only visible on 84. The Mass Pike is probably all October.

Yeah...my dad drove RT 20 from Palmer/Brimfield area to Sturbridge cause of stopped traffic on the pike and he saw the tornado damage there. Said that was impressive, especially Brimfield. I saw tornado damage in Sturbridge in two areas and it's easy to tell the difference between that and October. One is all trees cut off half way up, the other is just a ton of down branches and dead limbs, broken but still attached to the tree...sort of hanging there. Also saw a lot of birches that were bent over touching the ground, but still growing haha.

Yeah...my dad drove RT 20 from Palmer/Brimfield area to Sturbridge cause of stopped traffic on the pike and he saw the tornado damage there. Said that was impressive, especially Brimfield. I saw tornado damage in Sturbridge in two areas and it's easy to tell the difference between that and October. One is all trees cut off half way up, the other is just a ton of down branches and dead limbs, broken but still attached to the tree...sort of hanging there. Also saw a lot of birches that were bent over touching the ground, but still growing haha.

Yeah there's one spot in Brimfield (near one of the camp grounds) where the tornado crossed 20. The damage just south of 20 in Brimfield is unfathomable. Same story in parts of Monson.

Yeah there's one spot in Brimfield (near one of the camp grounds) where the tornado crossed 20. The damage just south of 20 in Brimfield is unfathomable. Same story in parts of Monson.

I couldn't believe how quickly you came up to it on Rt 20. Just immediately you drive right into the damage path. The damage even as of May was incredible to see.

I believe it. That's a very picturesque town and a good chunk of it looks like a waste land.

Yep, you could see the rip path through the woods down a hill toward town. I cant imagine watching that thing come up over that hill. The smell was the thing that will stay with me most. Such a sweet, fresh smell of sap and timber while all around there were fires, snapping power lines, literally molten pavement making the nastiest smell. Such sensory overload. Some lady lost it on my shoulder and i was at a loss for what to say.

Craziest thing is my brother and I were going to take that exit off 90 and we probably would have intercepted it in or around monson since we found that town by accident anyway. Later that night I went to a gas station east of there because another storm looked like it'd be warned, and i told a lady of what I saw. She basically "oh'ed" it like it was nothing and said she had friends there. Little did she know how serious I was.

I should do a full writeup of everything that happened that day from about 9 am til I got home.

My fingers are sore for now, typed all that on mobile lol

Noticing a lot of "stressed" trees changing leaf colors now.

True that.

Yep, you could see the rip path through the woods down a hill toward town. I cant imagine watching that thing come up over that hill. The smell was the thing that will stay with me most. Such a sweet, fresh smell of sap and timber while all around there were fires, snapping power lines, literally molten pavement making the nastiest smell. Such sensory overload. Some lady lost it on my shoulder and i was at a loss for what to say.

Craziest thing is my brother and I were going to take that exit off 90 and we probably would have intercepted it in or around monson since we found that town by accident anyway. Later that night I went to a gas station east of there because another storm looked like it'd be warned, and i told a lady of what I saw. She basically "oh'ed" it like it was nothing and said she had friends there. Little did she know how serious I was.

I should do a full writeup of everything that happened that day from about 9 am til I got home.

My fingers are sore for now, typed all that on mobile lol

Great description--you should document it further.

To your other point--typing on any mobile devices sucks.

Archived