• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Severe weather thread number ...I think XI ?

OSUmetstud

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's too bad the mid levels dry out so much near the pike. That seabreeze front remains in place, but TCU were struggling when I left.

Yeah without any shear or surface convergence the storms are quickly becoming downdraft dominant thanks to siggy dry air entrainment.. essentially cutting off updrafts.

Dry mid levels is ok when you have a lifting mechanism or something the focus convection but not today.

The 15z SREF mean has substantially bumped up instability tomorrow compared to the meager 9z run. ~1500 j/kg of MLCAPE. Not terrible.

I think we'll see widespread storms tomorrow, not necessarily here but off to our west. Once the LLJ develops and strengthens that will really help with the llvl convergence. Storms will just really struggle to maintain strength or develop vertically with the awful mlvl shear and poor lapse rates. Stronger instability will obviously work to try and offset this and would probably help to get a little more in the way of severe reports...I would think it would be strong winds, especially if we can get those llvl lapse rates quite steep.

Yeah without any shear or surface convergence the storms are quickly becoming downdraft dominant thanks to siggy dry air entrainment.. essentially cutting off updrafts.

Dry mid levels is ok when you have a lifting mechanism or something the focus convection but not today.

Well the seabreeze front on radar just south of BOS was a great mechanism, but I think the mid levels we're just a bit too dry and the best forcing was north. Most of the time, such a front would fire storms but not today. Best KI was north too.

I think we'll see widespread storms tomorrow, not necessarily here but off to our west. Once the LLJ develops and strengthens that will really help with the llvl convergence. Storms will just really struggle to maintain strength or develop vertically with the awful mlvl shear and poor lapse rates. Stronger instability will obviously work to try and offset this and would probably help to get a little more in the way of severe reports...I would think it would be strong winds, especially if we can get those llvl lapse rates quite steep.

I think we'll see a number of storms around here. Soundings are juiced, we have synoptic scale lift, a prefrontal trough and we are unstable. The PWATS would have Andy pee all over his TANDY tomorrow... well over 2".

Severe looks meh as we've been talking about (it never really looked good here) but if higher instability than progged develops we'll have to look out given developing LLJ and enlongating/curved hodographs.

Well the seabreeze front on radar just south of BOS was a great mechanism, but I think the mid levels we're just a bit too dry and the best forcing was north. Most of the time, such a front would fire storms but not today. Best KI was north too.

Yup... agreed. Just didn't really come together today AWT. The area we both outlined this morning worked out well.

Kind of a neat situation going on around here today with the terrain helping to induce convection. As the southerly flow is parallel to the Greens and Berkshires, this allowed for some valley breeze convergence to take place along the crest, providing the extra lift necessary to get some pretty good rainers going in the Savoy, Florida, Charlemont area.

I was watching a succession of cumulus towers grow into cumulonimbus as they moved from south to north just to my east over the crest. There was definitely some training going on to my NE leading to the 6"+ radar estimated rainfall totals.

The outflow boundary from all of this convection moved through here from the NE and knocked the temperature down. Some towers have been shooting up around me including a shower down around West Stockbridge that produced a quick clap of thunder about 45 minutes ago. That has since died, but I'm watching to see if anything else fires.

I think we'll see a number of storms around here. Soundings are juiced, we have synoptic scale lift, a prefrontal trough and we are unstable. The PWATS would have Andy pee all over his TANDY tomorrow... well over 2".

Severe looks meh as we've been talking about (it never really looked good here) but if higher instability than progged develops we'll have to look out given developing LLJ and enlongating/curved hodographs.

Tomorrow night could be fun for some. Depending on level of instability in place after dark I could see some dynamically driven convection developing right along the front aided by the nose of the really strong MLJ along with strong forcing associated with the s/w rotating through.

Right where the KI had been 34-36 all day is right where the convection got going and organized into a cluster there.

STRONG TO SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS ARE FORECAST SUNDAY AFTERNOON AND

NIGHT. STORMS WILL MOVE INTO THE SAINT LAWRENCE VALLEY SUNDAY

AFTERNOON...ACROSS THE ADIRONDACKS...AND INTO THE CHAMPLAIN VALLEY

BY EVENING. STORMS WILL CONTINUE EAST ACROSS VERMONT, HOWEVER THE

RISK FOR SEVERE WEATHER WILL DIMINISH AS THE SUN SETS. SCATTERED

DAMAGING WIND IS THE MAIN WEATHER THREAT, WITH HAIL A SECONDARY

THREAT. THE STORMS WILL ALSO PRODUCE VERY HEAVY RAINFALL...AND

AREAS THAT ARE HIT REPEATEDLY OR WHERE STORMS BECOME STATIONARY

ARE AT RISK OF FLOODING.

THE STORMS WILL FORM IN WARM UNSTABLE AIR AHEAD OF A STRONG COLD

FRONT. THE FRONT WILL LAG BEHIND THE STORMS BY A FEW HOURS, AND WILL

MOVE INTO NORTHERN NEW YORK LATE IN THE DAY AND EXIT EASTERN

VERMONT BY MONDAY MORNING.

Several days ago, didn't this thread include a few comments about over-analyzing slight shifts in select convective parameters being modeled? lol

Yeah I probably wasn't clear. Each index has a physical meaning and can be good proxies for figuring out what's going on. Whether it's instability or moisture content etc. My point was it's important not to get too wrapped up in a million different indicies. Take a step back, look at the pattern, keep looking at models, soundings, etc. CAPE is great... except if you're capped. And if you're capped the sig tor parameter and all those other composite indicies mean squat.

Forecasting convection is difficult, and while indicies can be great proxies, you have to be careful not to be lead astray.

Today was a perfect lesson... CAPE was highest south of the Pike but for several reasons storms were able to hold their own north of the Pike.

Kind of looks like a "meh" day for SVR but hopefully something to track. More likely just some heavy downpours as they lose steam the deeper into New England they get from New York.

...OH NEWD INTO VT...

AREAS OF RAIN AND STORMS ARE EXPECTED TO EXIST EARLY IN THE PERIOD

ALONG THE FRONT...FROM FAR WRN NY INTO ERN OH. THIS ACTIVITY MAY

CONTAIN MARGINAL WIND OR HAIL AS IT PROGRESSES EWD ACROSS PA AND NY.

HOWEVER...DESTABILIZATION IS EXPECTED TO BE MINIMAL...WITH MOIST

PROFILES AND EXPANDING CLOUDINESS. ALSO...LAPSE RATES ALOFT WILL BE

WEAK WITH 500 MB TEMPERATURES AROUND -6 C. VEERING WINDS WITH HEIGHT

WILL SOMEWHAT FAVOR ROTATION...BUT WITH WEAK UPDRAFTS...AND MARGINAL

DEEP LAYER SHEAR...ONLY MARGINALLY SEVERE HAIL AND WIND ARE

EXPECTED. A BRIEF TORNADO OR TWO CANNOT BE RULED OUT GIVEN THE LOW

LEVEL SHEAR AND MOIST PROFILES. THE BEST WIND PROFILES WILL BE OVER

NRN AND WRN NY...THUS WILL MAINTAIN RELATIVELY HIGHER PROBS THERE

FOR MAINLY WIND.

Archived