• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Severe weather thread number ...I think XI ?

OSUmetstud

I think NY / PA look great and I am thinking this will be a moderate risk day for them with the potential for tornadoes (esp. if we get the degree of SRH 0-1km and LLJ the models currently are showing).

While I agree that the timing sucks for the folks in the coastal plain, I do think this looks like a classic SLT risk day. Anything that can get going ahead of the cold front along the prefrontal trough could certainly go severe.

Agreed. With heights falling all day we should being to remove any CIN relatively quickly in the day. Classic pre frontal trough to the lee of the Apps should provide enough convergence to start things up.

The NAM does have 850mb winds >30 knots across all of CT/W Mass and N NJ by 21z Sunday so we'll be looking at some large hodographs. 500mb winds are a bit too weak though... seem to be displaced a bit too far to the NW right now.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed. With heights falling all day we should being to remove any CIN relatively quickly in the day. Classic pre frontal trough to the lee of the Apps should provide enough convergence to start things up.

The NAM does have 850mb winds >30 knots across all of CT/W Mass and N NJ by 21z Sunday so we'll be looking at some large hodographs. 500mb winds are a bit too weak though... seem to be displaced a bit too far to the NW right now.

5 h temps? height falls?

zmce2d.jpg

...THERE IS A SLGT RISK OF SVR TSTMS ACROSS MUCH OF THE

NORTHEAST/MID-ATLANTIC STATES TO OH/TN VALLEYS...

...MUCH OF THE NORTHEAST/MID-ATLANTIC STATES AND OH/TN VALLEYS...

THE PRIMARY DEEP CONVECTIVE POTENTIAL ON SUNDAY WILL BE TIED TO THE

EAST-NORTHEASTWARD ADVANCEMENT OF A POTENT UPPER TROUGH...FROM THE

GREAT LAKES REGION EARLY SUNDAY TO QUEBEC/NORTHERN NEW ENGLAND BY

EARLY MONDAY. BROAD CYCLONIC FLOW ALOFT WITH A MODERATELY STRONG

BELT OF WESTERLIES WILL OVERSPREAD MUCH OF THE REGION...BUT

ESPECIALLY THE UPPER OH VALLEY/NORTHEAST STATES INTO NEW ENGLAND

THROUGH SUNDAY NIGHT.

WHILE IT IS CONCEIVABLE THAT EARLY DAY TSTMS AND REMNANT OUTFLOWS

COULD BE FACTORS...AN INCREASE/INTENSIFICATION OF TSTMS OTHERWISE

SEEMS PROBABLE BY EARLY AFTERNOON ALONG/AHEAD OF A COLD FRONT

INCLUDING PORTIONS OF NY/PA AND OTHER PARTS OF THE UPPER OH VALLEY

TO THE TN VALLEY. RELATIVELY HIGH MOISTURE CONTENT...STEEPENING LOW

LEVEL LAPSE RATES...AND MODERATE BUOYANCY /1000-3000 J PER KG

SBCAPE/ WILL ACCOUNT FOR STRONG/SUSTAINED STORMS WITHIN A WEAK TO

MODERATE VERTICAL SHEAR ENVIRONMENT. MULTICELLS/LINE SEGMENTS ARE

LIKELY WITH DAMAGING WINDS AS THE PRIMARY OVERALL HAZARD...BUT SOME

SUPERCELLS MAY BE POSSIBLE ESPECIALLY ACROSS PORTIONS OF NY/PA.

SEVERAL ORGANIZED SYSTEMS/CLUSTERS MAY ULTIMATELY EVOLVE BY LATE

AFTERNOON/EARLY EVENING.

FARTHER SOUTH/SOUTHWEST...WITHIN A WEAKER SHEAR BUT MORE UNSTABLE

PRE-FRONTAL REGIME...SEVERE TSTMS WILL BE POSSIBLE ACROSS THE TN

VALLEY/MID-SOUTH AND PERHAPS OTHER PARTS OF THE SOUTHEAST STATES.

I think places like SYR/ART/ROC look pretty good for Sunday. I'm not excited south and east of ALB right now.

I like these days coming up though. High CAPE low shear stuff. Probably collapsing core micros and Ginx rains. I mean, nothing widespread or anything..but can be fun.

I like these days coming up though. High CAPE low shear stuff. Probably collapsing core micros and Ginx rains. I mean, nothing widespread or anything..but can be fun.

I'm a little meh on today. Heights rise pretty substantially ahead of the Great Lakes s/w. Subsidence may put the lid on convection today.

I don't know...maybe today is a little more interesting than we think in areas maybe north of the pike or near I-90?

Yeah could be. Soundings are impressive without much CINH to be honest.

I never like the synoptic look though when heights rise pretty substantially through the day.

Look at OKX. Impressive. almost 3000 j/kg of sbcape if you modify it to 90/73.

BUF and IAD not bad either.

OKX has a KI of 16. Seems like some mid level dry air. Weird to see such high dews with that low of a KI. It will probably moisten a bit as updrafts try to moisten the atmosphere there. But, I wonder if that is an issue.

mid-levels aren't too bad just west of us...that pocket of air was out over the eastern lakes yesterday and advecting eastward.

I was expecting a horrible looking OKX sounding based on Taunton's AFD, but it looked better than half of our forecasted severe outbreaks..lol.

nam forecast soundings for this afternoon are pretty decent.

Yeah not bad at all.

The NAM keeps enough CIN at the coast to preclude storm development but inland it definitely removes the CIN with a good deal of CAPE. Weak vertical shear means nothing widespread but microbursts certainly possible. With 500mb subsidence/ridging I'm not sure how widespread storms will be.

Look at 6z NAM for tomorrow... very respectable CAPE!!!! Big fat CAPE.

Yeah not bad at all.

The NAM keeps enough CIN at the coast to preclude storm development but inland it definitely removes the CIN with a good deal of CAPE. Weak vertical shear means nothing widespread but microbursts certainly possible. With 500mb subsidence/ridging I'm not sure how widespread storms will be.

Look at 6z NAM for tomorrow... very respectable CAPE!!!! Big fat CAPE.

Yeah I was looking at Tippy FOUS and fell off my seat when I saw the LI of -10. Might be a little much, but swamp azz dews will add to the CAPE no doubt.

Archived