• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
New England Severe weather thread number ...I think XI ?

OSUmetstud

Of course, on the flip side to that, it's not like these numbers/indices are based on imaginary things. They are based on tangible things that affect the atmosphere. I definitely agree with both of you that the basics need to be addressed first before getting into specifics, e.g. indices; but, we should also remember that they are based on tangible atmospheric elements.

For SNE, I've viewed most threats through the idea that if we are trying to overcome a major obstacle or two, then its almost a guarantee we will not get a widspread high end severe wx outbreak here. Now obviously that doesn't really help if we are trying to forecast for isolated or widely scattered severe wx (or marginal severe)...but in the case of the last threat, I think it was looking pretty bleak by that morning when it was becoming obvious we'd struggle to heat the surface with solid cloud cover in addition to pretty mediocre (or worse) ML lapse rates...thats when it was time to pull the plug on a huge widespread outbreak for W SNE. Admittedly its difficult to do that when the previous SPC outlook was honking pretty good and the radar looks nice in NW PA/far W NY.

Smaller pockets of severe wx (esp low end severe wx) are much more difficult to decipher since so much depends on nuances that are within the error bars for even a 3 hour NWP forecast.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course, on the flip side to that, it's not like these numbers/indices are based on imaginary things. They are based on tangible things that affect the atmosphere. I definitely agree with both of you that the basics need to be addressed first before getting into specifics, e.g. indices; but, we should also remember that they are based on tangible atmospheric elements.

Many times there are indices that balance each other out. For instance CAPE may look decent, but lapse rates may suck or the atmospheric column is rather dry above the boundary layer. So it's not like we just throw out indices...but it's important not to get wrapped up in it. Or even better...like art..meteorology requires a fine blend of certain elements and it's important to know how to blend these things. That's something nobody is perfect in, but we can improve.

Heights do rise today which is a negative, but a couple of things look better than yesterday. Possibly very weak contribution from H2 jet streak and moisture in the column is better this morning than yesterday. WF may focus storms along interior..possibly further east later in the day, but coverage may be sct at best.

12z soundings are on 'roids today. Wow.

I think we will see some good storms today. CAPE is more impressive and CINH appears to be a bit weaker. Less cirrus around should allow us to get a bit warmer than yesterday. Heights rise weakly but not as significantly as Friday.

700mb temps only about +7 or so. Not bad.

I like the Litchfield Hills/Berks maybe ORH hills/Monadnocks today.

12z soundings are on 'roids today. Wow.

I think we will see some good storms today. CAPE is more impressive and CINH appears to be a bit weaker. Less cirrus around should allow us to get a bit warmer than yesterday. Heights rise weakly but not as significantly as Friday.

700mb temps only about +7 or so. Not bad.

I like the Litchfield Hills/Berks maybe ORH hills/Monadnocks today.

Albany sounding was quite impressive. I like those areas you outlined. OKX was pretty unstable, but funny dry layers too.

Not too often you see these instability numbers we have in place, let alone this early in the day.

Unfortunately though heights have been slightly rising and 500mb temps have actually warmed some. We'll see if we are able to generate something today.

I do like that 700mb temps are only around +7 or so. That's not awful. Heights seem to level out later today it seems so we may be able to fire off some storms.

I'm sort of intrigued with tomorrow... especially for NW CT/Berkshires/Albany area. Looks like we destabilize a good bit and may have the prefrontal trough set stuff off. Post 21z we have a nice LLJ in place and while deep layer shear is meh we may be able to get some low level mesocyclones given the 0-3km horizontal vorticity in place.

I do like that 700mb temps are only around +7 or so. That's not awful. Heights seem to level out later today it seems so we may be able to fire off some storms.

I'm sort of intrigued with tomorrow... especially for NW CT/Berkshires/Albany area. Looks like we destabilize a good bit and may have the prefrontal trough set stuff off. Post 21z we have a nice LLJ in place and while deep layer shear is meh we may be able to get some low level mesocyclones given the 0-3km horizontal vorticity in place.

Yeah those 700mb temps could be much worse but with 500mb temps which are around -10C though theose warmer 700mb temps are yielding to much steeper mid-level lapse rates.

CIN looks to be less of an issue today with deeper moisture and Ncapes of 0.25 suggest we have a nice fat cape profile in place. LFC height isn't as bad as yesterday either so that's at least good and the KI is into the lower 30's.

If we do see storms pop I think it would be later in the afternoon, and we're definitely going to need orographic enhancement and sea-breeze enhancement I think.

If we can get storms to pop though they will have tons of energy to work with. I also like how there is some weak upper level divergence in place.

It's going to be quite difficult to get organized significant severe weather tomorrow. Those mid-level wind fields are garbage. There is some decent directional shear though and with increasing llvl wind fields helicity will boost but storm organization is going to be a difficult task, especially if we're only seeing around 1000-1500 J/KG of Cape.

Maybe we can see some severe tomorrow night though as that potent trough pushes east...very good dynamics associated with it...just a matter of if we can stay unstable through the night.

It's going to be quite difficult to get organized significant severe weather tomorrow. Those mid-level wind fields are garbage. There is some decent directional shear though and with increasing llvl wind fields helicity will boost but storm organization is going to be a difficult task, especially if we're only seeing around 1000-1500 J/KG of Cape.

Maybe we can see some severe tomorrow night though as that potent trough pushes east...very good dynamics associated with it...just a matter of if we can stay unstable through the night.

mid level lapse rates are also garbage tomorrow.

We'll see what develop... I wouldn't count it out yet especially given nice LLJ that develops. Especially western areas.

Doesn't it look like what showers do develop run way out ahead of the good upper-level dynamics tomorrow?

Not really. Heights fall all afternoon/evening with weak synoptic ascent so that's not really the issue. The bigger issues is mid tropospheric winds that are meh and garbage mid level lapse rates. The latter being the most detrimental to the svr threat IMO.

mid level lapse rates are also garbage tomorrow.

We'll see what develop... I wouldn't count it out yet especially given nice LLJ that develops. Especially western areas.

Yeah was just looking at tomorrow more closely as I haven't had time to but tomorrow looks pretty meh. The only thing going for tomorrow will be strong forcing/lift so we'll see convection but I think severe is pretty isolated and on the marginal side.

Instability looks to be an issue further west as well where shear is a bit stronger and I just don't see enough to warrant any threat for a tornado...not with those garbage mid-level wind fields.

Archived