• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Severe weather thread number ...I think XI ?

OSUmetstud

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Early start in ct and western mass. Storms developing by noon in some areas?

You think that early? I don't know how well that line holds up. I guess it could if we heat up, but we also have WAA aloft at 500mb. I was thinking some of that hits more westerm MA and VT, but maybe daytime heating sparks the line up further south.

You think that early? I don't know how well that line holds up. I guess it could if we heat up, but we also have WAA aloft at 500mb. I was thinking some of that hits more westerm MA and VT, but maybe daytime heating sparks the line up further south.

Okx sounding was pretty unstable with next to no cin. With weak height falls getting underway think we pop early. Impressive TCU and CB ALQDS here

Okx sounding was pretty unstable with next to no cin. With weak height falls getting underway think we pop early. Impressive TCU and CB ALQDS here

Yeah it was. To me, this looks like a Ginx FFW deal in some areas like in ERN NY into adjacent Berkshires and CT if we get training because winds aloft are stronger today so storms may not hang around as long as they did up in western MA and NH yesterday. I suppose later on when the LLJ increases..some wet micros or a few bows could develop. I just don't have a feel for any substantial severe aside from the normal inherent tstm threats. There is still a weak boundary across the area so it may develop rounds of storms across the region...my guess is maybe NW CT towards Albany/Berks/VT?

The 15z RAP sounding for BDL actually doesn't look too bad nor do the next several hours...obviously besides the fact mlvl lapse rates blow and shear is meh. Anyways Cape profile actually doesn't look all too bad, thanks in part to an abundance of llvl moisture and that LLJ really cranks to as much as 35 knots! Will be interesting to see what that line does as it progresses eastward.

The 15z RAP sounding for BDL actually doesn't look too bad nor do the next several hours...obviously besides the fact mlvl lapse rates blow and shear is meh. Anyways Cape profile actually doesn't look all too bad, thanks in part to an abundance of llvl moisture and that LLJ really cranks to as much as 35 knots! Will be interesting to see what that line does as it progresses eastward.

That line in NY state is really developing nice north of Albany. I pegged that earlier for more VT and the Berks, but it may develop more to the south with time. We'll need all the CAPE we can get with the mid levels, but Ryan's LLJ may help later on. Overnight, we have that s/w to move in. While it's not everything...forcing from the mid and upper levels is key during overnight periods.

That line in NY state is really developing nice north of Albany. I pegged that earlier for more VT and the Berks, but it may develop more to the south with time. We'll need all the CAPE we can get with the mid levels, but Ryan's LLJ may help later on. Overnight, we have that s/w to move in. While it's not everything...forcing from the mid and upper levels is key during overnight periods.

For tonight I think it would be northern areas that would have the better shot...closer to the s/w and to the stronger dynamics working in.

I think the LLJ will really work here to get action forming, already seeing a very solid CU field outside. If mid-level lapse rates were much steeper I could see that compensating a bit for the lack of shear but like you said, we'll need all the Cape we can get to at least create a buoyant enough atmosphere to help lift parcels as high and vigorously as possible.

Is that line developing a cold pool of some sort? Latest mesoanalysis has an area of 6 C/KM mlvl lapse rates. \

Anyways shear is really pumping up (llvl) and helicity starting to increase as well.

Also pretty interesting to note not too far of to our west 500mb winds have increased to 30 to even 35 knots.

Is that line developing a cold pool of some sort? Latest mesoanalysis has an area of 6 C/KM mlvl lapse rates. \

Anyways shear is really pumping up (llvl) and helicity starting to increase as well.

Also pretty interesting to note not too far of to our west 500mb winds have increased to 30 to even 35 knots.

I'm still not that excited about severe, but we'll see if the LLJ can do anything. Having high dews is a plus anyways.

Yeah severe may be a bit meh but some areas are going to pick up a quite a bit of rainfall today so flash flooding is probably still the #1 concern here.

just heavy rain and some 20-30mph wind with that line

Well not exactly referring to that line per se, but heavy rains will be an issue. Precip loading with increased low level jet will aid in gusty winds in stronger cells later on.

Archived