joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
SNE severe/convective thread IX...or whatever number we're on

weatherwiz

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm more impressed with tomorrow's threat than today's. CAPE is forecast over 4500 in parts of PA today! too bad that's not further north.

Still, keep an eye towards upstate NY and VT/NH. If storms get strong today, they could very well be just as strong, if not stronger tomorrow.

BUFKIT soundings look a bit more meh for tomorrow. NAM especially brings in a northwesterly flow in the boundary layer by late morning and while surface dews stay up we do advect in some drier air up toward the top of the BL. Results in somewhat meh MLCAPE.

Euro still gung ho tomorrow. Looks like front totally washes out and small scale boundaries may initiate storms? Euro also starts storms a little early..like early aftn.

Yeah it is. I just am a bit worried the boundary layer starts to dry. Agree though with an early start.

There is an intense line of thunderstorms entering Up State NY and instability parameters appear to suggest this may organize into some form of MCS/Derecho like event as it plows ESE toward central New England.

If I were Rt poopers, I’d keep my eyes peeled this evening.

There is an intense line of thunderstorms entering Up State NY and instability parameters appear to suggest this may organize into some form of MCS/Derecho like event as it plows ESE toward central New England.

If I were Rt poopers, I’d keep my eyes peeled this evening.

Yeah that line means business. That may visit Brian and that area in about 3-4 hrs.

Marginal derecho indicies in western MA, but we're only talking on the order of 4-5 and we typically want 6+ to start getting excited.

Craven's Significant Severe indices bullseye right over CT at nearly 40,000 m3/s3 (21z WED from NAM) and anything over 20K strongly favors intense severe weather. Not sure how much other people use it, but I've been reading more into the paramater...factors in deep layer shear and MLCAPE.

CONUS_ETA212_ATMOS_SIGSVR_33HR.gif

SREFs look like they slowed a bit. Up to I-90, but still a CT/RI over to EWB type deal. NAM is still kind of fast.

The euro almost implies anafrontal convection. Either that, or the front completely washes out as a wave tries to develop.

Yeah... the NAM even too. The wind shift on the NAM is on the south coast by 15z with convection firing behind it. That's the kind of setup that screws the best instability up with drying through the boundary layer (even though sfc remains moist).

i think the entire overnight might be susceptible to MCS generation. Whenever you have a static SW flow of hot humid air under a region of WNW or NW 500mb balanced wind, with a frontal boundary extending west to east to the north of you to serve as a trigger, clusters of storms can pop and start migrating right of the environment.

i think the entire overnight might be susceptible to MCS generation. Whenever you have a static SW flow of hot humid air under a region of WNW or NW 500mb balanced wind, with a frontal boundary extending west to east to the north of you to serve as a trigger, clusters of storms can pop and start migrating right of the environment.

Doesn't seem likely anyone south of NH sees storms overnight. If we do it could ruin tomorrow

Marginal derecho indicies in western MA, but we're only talking on the order of 4-5 and we typically want 6+ to start getting excited.

Craven's Significant Severe indices bullseye right over CT at nearly 40,000 m3/s3 (21z WED from NAM) and anything over 20K strongly favors intense severe weather. Not sure how much other people use it, but I've been reading more into the paramater...factors in deep layer shear and MLCAPE.

CONUS_ETA212_ATMOS_SIGSVR_33HR.gif

Yeah tomorrow looks huge..Even Tornado Tony thinks so

Archived