• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
SNE severe/convective thread IX...or whatever number we're on

weatherwiz

I meant a setup that would very obviously warrant such an outlook (particularly in the synoptic sense, but also from a meso/micro scale point of view as well).

The 6/1/11 setup, IMO, was a 10%, sig-hatched tor-warranted setup, the storm coverage (particularly concerning discrete, long-lived supercells) was just not enough to warrant anything further (same with 6/9/53 in all likelihood).

We'd all be doing the Wiz dance.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think SNE from South of Mass Pike and from CT west to SENY get crushed tomorrow. Mesoscale boundaries will be huge and there WILL BE discrete cells for sure even a couple of supercells. If the action across NNY and NNE from today was any example there will be more than a few storms with destructive winds. DCAPE values will be VERY high tomorrow.

Going to be real interesting to see how everything evolves today. I can actually see why the SPC only went with the minimum for the slight risk side.

Anyways, while the SPC SREF runs last night (21z and 3z) both increased severe wx probs and Sig Svr probs runs of the NAM/GFS were a little more questionable I think.

The NAM (especially 6z run) really turns those winds in the lowest 850mb northwesterly quite quickly and this would really help to lessen the amount of convergence along the front and does dry out portions of the lower-levels of the atmosphere reducing the amount of MLcape. The NAM though does actually slightly increase 500mb winds early on...a bit more than previously across portions of southern areas but still the strongest winds are located further north away from the strongest instability. The GFS does turn winds in the lowest 850mb more northwesterly as well, however, this happens a bit slower than on the NAM.

The WRF develops convection as early as 10 AM and moves it through MA/CT from 11 AM to about 2 PM or so...getting convection to move through this early could be a problem as this would allow us to probably not destabilize to our fullest potential. It's also interesting to note the WRF develops a second band of convection late this evening and last through much of the night.

Andy brings up some great points too, there will be quite a few boundaries out there and this could enhance the threat for some supercells and discrete cells, low-level shear is rather weak so a tornado threat seems unlikely, however, this could increase the potential for some large hail. The SPC SREF has boosted up supercell parameters slightly.

Another thing is convection may be more limited south of central CT or so...the further south you go away from the boundary the less in the way of convergence and upper level support you have. Despite strong instability convection south of here may be more isolated but will still pose a threat for severe weather.

Going to be right on the line at home, think I'd rather be just to the south. Anyways, looks good for CT/RI/SE MA. I think those areas will get hit pretty hard. Maybe not all severe, but a nice round of storms will some sev..maybe even a siggy report or two.

Despite the mediocre shear if we can get SBcape values above 3000-3500 J/KG and keep those MLcape values around 2000-2500 J/KG than I think we could see a sig severe report or two. If we get less Cape values though it may be a bit more difficult to get sig severe but we would still see a solid amount of reports.

Despite the mediocre shear if we can get SBcape values above 3000-3500 J/KG and keep those MLcape values around 2000-2500 J/KG than I think we could see a sig severe report or two. If we get less Cape values though it may be a bit more difficult to get sig severe but we would still see a solid amount of reports.

I think shear is adequate. 40kts at 500mb in CT right now...more than enough given possible MLCAPE values.

Going to be real interesting to see how everything evolves today. I can actually see why the SPC only went with the minimum for the slight risk side.

Anyways, while the SPC SREF runs last night (21z and 3z) both increased severe wx probs and Sig Svr probs runs of the NAM/GFS were a little more questionable I think.

The NAM (especially 6z run) really turns those winds in the lowest 850mb northwesterly quite quickly and this would really help to lessen the amount of convergence along the front and does dry out portions of the lower-levels of the atmosphere reducing the amount of MLcape. The NAM though does actually slightly increase 500mb winds early on...a bit more than previously across portions of southern areas but still the strongest winds are located further north away from the strongest instability. The GFS does turn winds in the lowest 850mb more northwesterly as well, however, this happens a bit slower than on the NAM.

The WRF develops convection as early as 10 AM and moves it through MA/CT from 11 AM to about 2 PM or so...getting convection to move through this early could be a problem as this would allow us to probably not destabilize to our fullest potential. It's also interesting to note the WRF develops a second band of convection late this evening and last through much of the night.

Andy brings up some great points too, there will be quite a few boundaries out there and this could enhance the threat for some supercells and discrete cells, low-level shear is rather weak so a tornado threat seems unlikely, however, this could increase the potential for some large hail. The SPC SREF has boosted up supercell parameters slightly.

Another thing is convection may be more limited south of central CT or so...the further south you go away from the boundary the less in the way of convergence and upper level support you have. Despite strong instability convection south of here may be more isolated but will still pose a threat for severe weather.

WRF is garbage..It had nasty storms in Ma and Ct for yesterday afternoon and there wasn't a cloud in the sky

Hopefully today works out for everyone.

With the slow movement of that front you can envision a lot of backbuilding and training of storms with inches of rain for some

I hope I get something. I'm gonna be close to the initialization point..just hope it's not south of me.

That doesn't mean anything to me. We've had our best days with see texts. I don't see why we won't have some strong to severe storms.

I am sure we will see severe reports today, I just dont expect anything widespread as far as severe. Best shear and CAPE seems displaced as it usually is in most of our setups. I am also concered we mix out the dews with a west north west wind before we can get the storms really going.

I am sure we will see severe reports today, I just dont expect anything widespread as far as severe. Best shear and CAPE seems displaced as it usually is in most of our setups. I am also concered we mix out the dews with a west north west wind before we can get the storms really going.

I don't think we'll mix out at all. 925 and 850 TDs are high and we have high precip water values and KI. Plenty of juice, especially south of the pike. I think we have a good combo of CAPE and shear for SNE standards. Sure not every town will see severe, but for SNE standards it looks good imo.

That won't be a problem today.

And many areas (particularly CT/RI) have certainly have a favorable overlay of deep layer shear/instability for widespread severe. If we're talking about significant severe then you're right - parameters do fall short.

That won't be a problem today.

And many areas (particularly CT/RI) have certainly have a favorable overlay of deep layer shear/instability for widespread severe. If we're talking about significant severe then you're right - parameters do fall short.

Yeah I feel kind of bullish for you guys. I wish these lapse rates overhead would hang around. Still should be maybe 6.5-7C?

Yeah I feel kind of bullish for you guys. I wish these lapse rates overhead would hang around. Still should be maybe 6.5-7C?

Yeah lapse rates are decent... but short of high-end kind of stuff.

I think we get whacked today but I feel that sig svr (2" hail/65knot winds) will be pretty isolated.

Archived