amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
SNE severe/convective thread IX...or whatever number we're on

weatherwiz

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of our severe days come as steeper lapse rates/modified EMLs are on their way our. We seem to capitalize a lot on the tail end of these things.

That said the models do keep decent lapse rates around through at least 18z in these parts.

Interesting indeed.

And yeah I think Scott's expectations of ~6.5 seem reasonable moving through the midday hours...further west and south though idk if we'll have much left in the mid-levels by game time... either way we'll get very respectable cape values with the surface heating/dews, just probably a skinnier cape look

The 2% addition to the TOR probs and upgrade to 30% seems warranted per the OKX sounding although I still think tornadogenesis will be tough to come by with the weak wind shear.

Agreed.

I suppose with the right boundary placement and storm motion, and the strong accent in our CAPE field allowing for a faster rotation (the old ice skater example / potential vorticity concept), we could get a tornado. Meh..

I suppose with the right boundary placement and storm motion, and the strong accent in our CAPE field allowing for a faster rotation (the old ice skater example / potential vorticity concept), we could get a tornado. Meh..

I'm thinking a spin up at the apex of a bow echo or something where we maximize storm-scale storm relative helicity. The GFS does keep 500mb winds up to 35-40 knots for most of the day up here. NAM a bit more meh. Hopefully the stronger winds come to fruition.

I'm thinking a spin up at the apex of a bow echo or something where we maximize storm-scale storm relative helicity. The GFS does keep 500mb winds up to 35-40 knots for most of the day up here. NAM a bit more meh. Hopefully the stronger winds come to fruition.

You're right. It will most likely come from a bow or something like that.

Down here, I am expecting some radial CAPE bombers to bring some isolated SIG winds to a few locations.

On a semi-related note, I wonder if the La Nina-tendency on the global pattern has even had a modifying effect on our potential today. The mid-July EML potential we were speculating to happen did to some degree materialize but not as strongly so as the original forecast in the long range. Perhaps if we had more of an El Nino-tendency, I wonder if the overall jet stream / wave structure would have been improved and increased our wind shear probabilities.

Interesting HM and I really would not know. You're going to have to help me here as the summer-time is not my forte with long-range/pattern recognition. For a while there (within the past couple weeks), we were in a pattern (or at least one was being predicted by the models that may have not fully materialized) where I thought it looked El Nino-like..it featured the warmest anomalies/ridges rolling northward into Canada, and the return easterly flow underneath was leading to cooler/wetter anomalies across the south and into Texas...am I right to connect that to an el-nino tendency in the summer-time? with that said, such a pattern did not look favorable at all for increased wind shear/wind max's rolling through eastern North America. so I guess what I'm getting at is, why would you think more of an El-nino tendency would have lead to a potentially better wind/eml setup in the current timeframe?

Edit: It was in the time frame following the EML/derecho setup.

Archived