• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Late June/Early July Extreme Heat Episode

Hoosier

000 SXUS73 KLSX 281945 RERSTL RECORD EVENT REPORT NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ST LOUIS MO 241 PM CDT THU JUN 28 2012 ...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT ST. LOUIS... A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 106 DEGREES HAS BEEN REACHED AT ST. LOUIS TODAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 104 SET IN 1952. THIS IS ALSO A NEW ALL-TIME RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE FOR THE MONTH OF JUNE FOR ST. LOUIS...BREAKING THE PREVIOUS RECORD OF 105 DEGREES ON JUNE 25 1952 AND JUNE 19 1936. IT IS POSSIBLE FOR THIS RECORD TO CHANGE THIS AFTERNOON...AS TEMPERATURES CONTINUE TO RISE. $$ PHILLIPSON

It's pretty BOSS when the All time record dating back to 1869. If we go back to 1830s we can but it's not that reliable. The old records were set in a string of records.

June 27th-29th 1952. St. Louis set three record highs in a row. 104F, 104F, 105F.

This shows the 850mb temp three day average to be 21C. I am not sure how accurate that is or time of day factors or what. But this very similar heat wave will blow the doors off that one. And it may not even be today or tomorrow. Next week might be worse. Either way the record fell today.

This morning ILX had a 30.8C 850mb temp, Springfield MO 27C, Topeka 27C. I guess it all comes down to albedo, mixing, soil moisture, winds, solar irradiance. Whatever the combined factors are. This current heat wave is spectacular and DRY at least here, lucky that.

compday-143.gif?t=1340916953

compday-142.gif

Now we wait to see by how much it falls. Skies are still completely clear and solar altitude is still decent for another hour or two.

dliPRDeqc_goes13_20120628_190000.gif?t=1340916822

UPDATE: STL NOW AT 107F(42C) This is 18F above normal. Pretty amazing for late June.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lucky me, westerly wind component shaved off 3-4 degrees here in the past couple hours. Only reached 96 at 3:00 PM before the very weak lake breeze took it down to 93. The kicker is the dewpoints climbing into the lower 70s this afternoon. Wasn't expecting that, yuck! With a more southerly wind component and slightly lower dewpoints it'd easily have reached 100.

I'm surprised the humidity didn't actually feel that high at 96/72 compared to the more familiar 88/72 days. It really is the relative humidity that gives the air that super-close moist/clammy feeling. It just felt damn hot today.

MBY is at 102.

Quite a few 100+ reading around the region I would be stunned if DTW stays stuck.

The flow at DTW has been from the south, if they can just get a quick southwest or westerly wind for a good 30 mins they'd easily hit 100. Right now there's that slight hint of Lake Erie influence that's keeping them a bit "cooler"

The flow at DTW has been from the south, if they can just get a quick southwest or westerly wind for a good 30 mins they'd easily hit 100. Right now there's that slight hint of Lake Erie influence that's keeping them a bit "cooler"

Selfridge Air Base was stuck at 91 through 5PM jumped to 97 after escaping the lake influence from Lake St. Clair as the wind shifted from S to W.

Looks like DTW will top out at 98 unless there was an intra-hour bump.

Really surprised we only managed 101 here. Gonna have to start incorporating this new trend where LAF is at the end of the pack instead of near the top. I think there are a couple possible reasons why we have been running behind but not gonna bore everyone with that. :P

Really surprised we only managed 101 here. Gonna have to start incorporating this new trend where LAF is at the end of the pack instead of near the top. I think there are a couple possible reasons why we have been running behind but not gonna bore everyone with that. :P

Told you it was running cooler lately. Though there seems to be no middle ground at LAF, either too warm or too cool. FWIW, my car thermometer was showing 101º about 15 minutes ago. Of course it's black and may not have had time to "cool off" after sitting on pavement in the sun for 8+ hours. ;)

Selfridge Air Base was stuck at 91 through 5PM jumped to 97 after escaping the lake influence from Lake St. Clair as the wind shifted from S to W.

Looks like DTW will top out at 98 unless there was an intra-hour bump.

Now 99/72/108 at DTW and DET has finally increased, now 97/71/105

Didn't hit 100 today here (99.8) but the incredible humidity more than made up for it. Heat index temps in the mid 110s all afternoon. Peaked at 117.7 here. MLI hit 98, with heat index temps near 115.

Keep in mind that the NWS rounds temperatures to the nearest whole degree. That is, it's possible that ORD, for instance, which had 100, may have reached a temperature as low as 99.5.

From my northern Illinois perspective, the most surprising aspect of today's conditions, at least for me, was the higher-than-expected dewpoints. I had expected that dewpoints may reach as high as the low 70's, and mainly in the immediate vicinity of the cold front, but observations this afternoon, even from the ASOS stations, suggested that dewpoints in the mid to upper 70's were prevalent. Dewpoints were not quite at GFS-progged levels, but the NAM generally under-forecasted the dewpoints, I would say. I cannot help but wonder whether that factor alone may have shaved a three or four degrees off temperatures in this area. Of course, the dewpoints were relatively high because of the proximity of the cold front, along which moisture pools anyway, due to that low in Canada deamplifying the ridge.

Archived