• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Late June/Early July Extreme Heat Episode

Hoosier

Uh, thanks for posting that. Now I can't sleep lol..........

At least the mega-heat should be gone. That was awful.

Euro is really extending the brutal stuff way north most all of next week now. 90's-100+

Nice that the dew is down now but I was really looking forward to temps being in the 60's when I took the dog for his am walk/run but no-no - its still 75 effin degrees with zero breeze out. At least I sweated some of the 200+ ounces of beer I had at summerfest out.

Down to 71@ 5am lol. Madison - 59 Racine - 65 Kenosha - 63 Mt Waukegan - 66

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still 88 at IND. Figure there's probably about 6 hours of cooling to go. There's never been an 80 degree low at the airport but it has happened numerous times when the official site was elsewhere, mostly in the 1800's/early 1900's.

77º. Record for today is 79º set back in 1881.

Sticky icky here in the LAF this morning, 79/72 at 8:00am. Went out for a morning jog at 7:00am and was greeted by a few rain drops, believe it or not.

5 degrees warmer this morning versus yesterday at the same time at LAF, but the dewpoint is up considerably, 53 versus 72.

Record maximum temperatures in Indiana for today.

Evansville: 103º in 1936 and 1952

Fort Wayne: 99º in 1952

Indianapolis: 100º in 1934

South Bend: 102º in 1934

Point and clicks for each site for today...

Evansville: 105º

Fort Wayne: 98º

Indianapolis: 102º

South Bend: 93º

I think it's not a stretch to say that EVV has a chance to reel off quite a streak of daily record maximum temperatures, with one down already. The next 8 days of records, including today, are "easily" breakable IMO.

June 28: 107º in 2012

June 29: 103º in 1952

June 30: 100º in 1933 and 1952

July 1: 101º in 1933

July 2: 101º in 1933

July 3: 101º in 1911

July 4: 101º in 1921

July 5: 99º in 1953

July 6: 99º in 1921 and 1930

Thereafter, we start getting a little more serious with the record highs...and of course it's too far off to speculate.

If this heat manages to hang around and challenge the core of the 1936 heat wave later in July, it will be the weather equivalent of the Thriller in Manila. But I agree with the above, EVV could go well above some of those daily records.

Love the boxing reference!

If this heat manages to hang around and challenge the core of the 1936 heat wave later in July, it will be the weather equivalent of the Thriller in Manila. But I agree with the above, EVV could go well above some of those daily records.

Roger, do you see July 1936 style heat moving into southern Ontario come July?

There is always something wrong with DTW or S/E Michigan. Either it be with a heatwave, snow storm (GHDB), a squall line that is collapsing as it moves our way, whatever.....always something..

I don't see how that is 'wrong', it is just meteorology.

No, I'm just saying in general, there is always something that goes wrong

It isn't going wrong, it is just meteorology...

Of course it's Meteorology, but what I'm saying is that there is always something that goes wrong.

awesome

77º. Record for today is 79º set back in 1881.

Sticky icky here in the LAF this morning, 79/72 at 8:00am. Went out for a morning jog at 7:00am and was greeted by a few rain drops, believe it or not.

5 degrees warmer this morning versus yesterday at the same time at LAF, but the dewpoint is up considerably, 53 versus 72.

Yeah, would've liked to have seen a moister airmass to have a better shot. Dewpoints have come up quite nicely now but were still in the mid 60's early this morning.

Roger, do you see July 1936 style heat moving into southern Ontario come July?

I think the better analogue is going to be 1911, which was bad enough, but the main difference between this year and 1936 may prove to be that the plains states heat stays confined to SD and s MN into s WI, in contrast to 1936 when it reached s MB and ND, all parts of MN and WI, MI and nw ON. As to MI and ON, the northern boundary of extreme heat may at times fluctuate north as far as Alpena and Toronto, somehow I think it stays out of central ON and the Ottawa valley which could see transitional heat of 32-35 C.

I will revise that if I see any different signs developing in any short-medium term guidance but that's how I would associate the plains states signal with Great Lakes outcome.

After the notable heat waves of the past two years (and years like 1995, 1999) it is a step up to see a heat wave with these 105-110 F extremes that may end up in a top three tussle with 1911 and 1936, and move past years like 1916 or 1918. Knocking off 1936 would be a big ask, some places may manage examples of that, but for sheer intensity and duration, it will require many days this hot.

I think the better analogue is going to be 1911, which was bad enough, but the main difference between this year and 1936 may prove to be that the plains states heat stays confined to SD and s MN into s WI, in contrast to 1936 when it reached s MB and ND, all parts of MN and WI, MI and nw ON. As to MI and ON, the northern boundary of extreme heat may at times fluctuate north as far as Alpena and Toronto, somehow I think it stays out of central ON and the Ottawa valley which could see transitional heat of 32-35 C.

I will revise that if I see any different signs developing in any short-medium term guidance but that's how I would associate the plains states signal with Great Lakes outcome.

After the notable heat waves of the past two years (and years like 1995, 1999) it is a step up to see a heat wave with these 105-110 F extremes that may end up in a top three tussle with 1911 and 1936, and move past years like 1916 or 1918. Knocking off 1936 would be a big ask, some places may manage examples of that, but for sheer intensity and duration, it will require many days this hot.

post-77-0-68630900-1340993901_thumb.jpg

post-77-0-30897200-1340993906_thumb.jpg

And for good measure to show just how bad things have been in the past :)

post-77-0-52490900-1340993926_thumb.jpg

RECORD EVENT REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN

227 PM EDT FRI JUN 29 2012

..RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE BROKEN AT INDIANAPOLIS

THE TEMPERATURE ROSE TO 102 DEGREES AT THE INDIANAPOLIS INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT AT 214 PM EDT...BREAKING THE RECORD FOR THE DATE. THE OLD RECORD WAS 100 DEGREES...SET IN 1934. IT IS POSSIBLE THE RECORD MAY RISE HIGHER BEFORE THE END OF THE DAY. WEATHER RECORDS BEGAN IN INDIANAPOLIS IN 1871.

Archived