12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Late June/Early July Extreme Heat Episode

Hoosier

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And for all intents and purposes, despite a rash of missing data through the years, it seems like the best guess for the record for 90º+ days at LAF is 61 set back in 1983 (the 61 days is definitive, but not sure about other years).

And for all intents and purposes, despite a rash of missing data through the years, it seems like the best guess for the record for 90º+ days at LAF is 61 set back in 1983 (the 61 days is definitive, but not sure about other years).

I know you want to break that one. :P October 90's, while not unprecedented, are pretty rare so if we simply assume September 30 as the cutoff date, we would need 44 out of 90 days AOA 90 to break that.

I know you want to break that one. :P October 90's, while not unprecedented, are pretty rare so if we simply assume September 30 as the cutoff date, we would need 44 out of 90 days AOA 90 to break that.

I'm on board with breaking records this year/summer, my actual preferences to the contrary.

Here's a good benchmark for LAF for this upcoming round of heat. Not sure we'll have the longevity nor quite the intensity, but it's a "good" one.

July 14, 1983: 97º

July 15, 1983: 95º

July 16, 1983: 95º

July 17, 1983: 97º

July 18, 1983: 98º

July 19, 1983: 99º

July 20, 1983: 103º

July 21, 1983: 104º

July 22, 1983: 105º

July 23, 1983: 101º

Records for Chicago/ORD the next several days...

3rd:

Record high: 102 - 1949

Record max low: 78 - 1911

4th:

Record high: 102 - 1911

Record max low: 80 - 1921

5th:

Record high: 102 - 1911

Record max low: 82 - 1911

6th:

Record high: 99 - 1988

Record max low: 80 - 1977

All-time July record high: 105 - 7/24/34

All-time record high: 105 - 7/24/34

Most consecutive 100+ days: 7/3-5/1911 (100/102/102), 8/4-6/1947 (100/100/101)

Even with the site shifts over the years I am surprised that Chicago's longest 100 degree streak is 3 days. That should be put to the test this week.

Winds eventually shift off the lake around here. Seems like Chicago is usually on the edge of ridges and not closer to the middle of them.

97° forecast here tomorrow.

Winds eventually shift off the lake around here. Seems like Chicago is usually on the edge of ridges and not closer to the middle of them.

97° forecast here tomorrow.

I guess one possible fly in the ointment for 100's is lake breeze development but they seem like weak sauce and probably wouldn't get to ORD until late afternoon if at all.

Even with the site shifts over the years I am surprised that Chicago's longest 100 degree streak is 3 days. That should be put to the test this week.

Site shifts have "tainted" the longterm record.

On another note, it's somewhat amazing how ORD is beating MDW day after day. That's a bit screwy.

On another note, it's somewhat amazing how ORD is beating MDW day after day. That's a bit screwy.

Yeah, anyone have an answer for that? It's easy to say that ORD has gotten more urbanized than before but it has been a pretty sudden change in temp trends.

Yeah, anyone have an answer for that? It's easy to say that ORD has gotten more urbanized than before but it has been a pretty sudden change in temp trends.

Here's the update...

Day....ORD..MDW..

5/19....92......91

5/20....93......92

5/24....90......90

5/27....97......97

5/28....95......94

6/9......90......89

6/10....93......92

6/11....90......90

6/15....94......93

6/16....94......94

6/18....94......92

6/19....95......93

6/20....95......93

6/24....94......92

6/27....92......90

6/28...100....101

6/30....92......89

7/1......91......90

7/2......98......97

-----------------------

Tot......19......17..

O'Hare underwent an expansion... more concrete around the site? less cooler vegetated areas...

Still 88 °F at 9 pm... the next 5 days are gonna be like living in Arizona. I can see MSN breaking 100 °F tomorrow and maybe multiple days in a row.

Lake Mendota has declined half a foot since early May. US drought monitor has us in abnormally dry with moderate drought quite close. These sort of days are quickly throwing southern Wisconsin into a real drought. Also the water temp of Lake Mendota is 80 °F!

Re: temps at ohare

Heavy construction work continues on roughly the south half of the airfield. This includes a significant amount of earth-moving in concert with the eventual installation of a new east-west parallel runway system (this will include the current east-west runways). Earlier this year, the Canadian National rail bed on the southwest side was completely moved further south, into what was once the northeast section of Bensenville. Actually, there has been a temporary decrease in roofing/pavement in that area, as Chicago purchased those large tracts of industrial and residential blocks to make way for the new runways. Basically, there is a lot of soil out in that area right now. Not sure where the official temp is read there ...

Wow...Chicago seems to school Detroit in heat overall, but Detroit had 7 consecutive 100F+ days (July 8-14, 1936). Although other than that insane heatwave, 2 consecutive days has been the next best, set 3 times (Aug 6-7, 1918...Sept 2-3, 1953...July 6-7, 1988).

So true. Thats why each site movement is documented by its exact lat/long in the official records. Precip/snow are luck of the draw (ie storm track) but its the temps that give the most differences when a site is moved. For instance, many record lows set for Detroit from 1966-about the late 1980s are thanks to DTW being an excellent radiator, on many nights 4-7F cooler than previous location urbanized location at DET which held records prior to that site move. Of course since then DTW has urbanized somewhat and DET deurbanized, and low temps are often the same now, but there is no question UHI has picked up BIG time at DTW in the last 20 years.

Then all the quirky little records. Longest official stretch of consecutive 90F+ days at Detroit looks to be tied (11 days) this week as Saturday would be the 11th day in a row at DTW before we "cool" into highs in the 80s Sunday. DTW actually has once had 12 consecutive days in a row, but that was set in 1964 when DET was still the official site (DET had 2 days in the upper 80s, assumable marine influence, during that 1964 heatwave). Meanwhile DET is one day short of DTW in their stretch of 90F+ weather, so Saturday would only be 10 days for them. But it works both ways and Im sure the below zero days in winter tripled after then-rural DTW took over for DET in the 1960s.

I have been saying the EXACT same thing here!!! True, DTW is way more urbanized (though still suburban) than it was 20 years ago, and DET is much less urbanized....likewise...true there is some downsloping that is said to occur between Ypsilanti and DTW. That said, the rate at which DTW beats DET is WAY more frequent than I ever remember it, and it seemed to have come out of nowhere in recent months (DET has always had the marine influence btw).

Archived