Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Late June/Early July Extreme Heat Episode

Hoosier

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure if it's wrong or what. There are a few "non-quality controlled" sites in Indiana with a 91 like LAF at 5pm. So there's that.

I think the drought is playing a big role (given that our deficit has not quite reached the level in other areas of the state) but sometimes I wonder if something else is also going on...

I think the drought is playing a big role (given that our deficit has not quite reached the level in other areas of the state) but sometimes I wonder if something else is also going on...

Could be, I don't know.

But like was explained about the ORD thermometer "issue", measuring weather isn't perfect.

Could be, I don't know.

But like was explained about the ORD thermometer "issue", measuring weather isn't perfect.

There is construction going on near the airport for the new bypass, but that should have the opposite effect. I wonder if they're spraying a lot of water near the ASOS to keep the dust down...

It has been a miserable time to take off for lawn work. I have been working in 30 minute cycles. Ten minutes hard work, ten minutes easier work, and ten minutes rehydrating. I have realized that I am not going to get it all accomplished so will do what I can. I have highs of 99 for the next three days.

Daily records for Indianapolis through the weekend...

July 3: 100º in 1911

July 4: 103º in 1911

July 5: 99º in 1936

July 6: 99º in 1988

July 7: 101º in 1936

July 8: 104º in 1936

I added points...

Records for IND are 103 Wednesday, 99 Thursday and 99 Friday. Thursday/Friday would appear to have a good chance of going down.

You should read the whole thread. ;)

There is construction going on near the airport for the new bypass, but that should have the opposite effect. I wonder if they're spraying a lot of water near the ASOS to keep the dust down...

Apparently I need to get to the westside more often. Thanks for the info. :)

DTW streak attempt busted big time. Only 84 (maybe an intrahour 85 in there) today. Storms affecting terminal now. They're done for the day.

ETA: Early convection, resulting weird persistent storm outflow (?) setting up in western Livingston/Washtenaw counties killed it with S/SE wind. Very humid though - 70ish dewpoints all day.

DVN thinks clouds are gonna be an issue again for northern IL.

THE PROXIMITY OF A SFC LOW IN EASTERN SOUTH DAKOTA

COMBINED WITH THE LLJ INCREASING IN THE PLAINS THIS EVENING SHOULD

BE JUST ENOUGH TO INITIATE ANOTHER NOCTURNAL MCS. THE LLJ IS

WEAKER OVER THE CWFA SO THE MCS SHOULD MOVE GENERALLY EAST ACROSS

MINNESOTA INTO WISCONSIN. OUTFLOW FROM THIS MCS WILL LIKELY

GENERATE NEW CONVECTION THAT WILL DECAY AND DISSIPATE ALONG THE

NORTHERN CWFA BORDER LIKE THIS MORNING. DEBRIS CLOUDS THEN PLAY

INTO TEMPERATURES ON WEDNESDAY.

ON WEDNESDAY...WILL GO THE THE IDEA THAT DEBRIS CLOUDS FROM

NOCTURNAL CONVECTION WILL INITIALLY HOLD TEMPERATURES BACK UNTIL

IT THINS BY MID TO LATE MORNING. ASSUMING THIS SCENARIO IS

CORRECT...MAX TEMPERATURES MAY ONLY BE SLIGHTLY WARMER WEDNESDAY

THAN THEY ARE TODAY.

I am fine with the record not breaking, we all know it is hot, and this will be remembered as a hot stretch of weather. However we need the rain desperately and some areas especially the Northern and Northeastern suburbs got plenty today.

DVN thinks clouds are gonna be an issue again for northern IL.

THE PROXIMITY OF A SFC LOW IN EASTERN SOUTH DAKOTA

COMBINED WITH THE LLJ INCREASING IN THE PLAINS THIS EVENING SHOULD

BE JUST ENOUGH TO INITIATE ANOTHER NOCTURNAL MCS. THE LLJ IS

WEAKER OVER THE CWFA SO THE MCS SHOULD MOVE GENERALLY EAST ACROSS

MINNESOTA INTO WISCONSIN. OUTFLOW FROM THIS MCS WILL LIKELY

GENERATE NEW CONVECTION THAT WILL DECAY AND DISSIPATE ALONG THE

NORTHERN CWFA BORDER LIKE THIS MORNING. DEBRIS CLOUDS THEN PLAY

INTO TEMPERATURES ON WEDNESDAY.

ON WEDNESDAY...WILL GO THE THE IDEA THAT DEBRIS CLOUDS FROM

NOCTURNAL CONVECTION WILL INITIALLY HOLD TEMPERATURES BACK UNTIL

IT THINS BY MID TO LATE MORNING. ASSUMING THIS SCENARIO IS

CORRECT...MAX TEMPERATURES MAY ONLY BE SLIGHTLY WARMER WEDNESDAY

THAN THEY ARE TODAY.

There seems to be little in the way of support for that scenario.

I am fine with the record not breaking, we all know it is hot, and this will be remembered as a hot stretch of weather. However we need the rain desperately and some areas especially the Northern and Northeastern suburbs got plenty today.

Believe me - I am not complaining. We can bust every other day this week and it will be a-okay with me. Debris, crapvection, whatever!

DET and DTW both ended up with same average temp last month (72.3)

http://www.wundergro...y.html#calendar

I do think though that any sort of "bump" in temps at DTW has been built into the climate normals. Take for example FNT and DTW last month.

FNT was 69.2 or + 2.7

DTW was 72.3 or + 2.9

Detroit has been a good 3 degrees warmer than Flint on average everyday last month, but in the end both sites still had the same temperature anomalies, which is what should happen in a region. If you've got city A and nearby city B having huge variations in their temp anomalies, then there's concern for tainted temperatures.

I know things are built into climate normals....the greatly increased UHI at DTW may temper record lows in cold snaps moreso than the actual averages. But its just something I noticed lately (which wouldnt even be built into normals) with DTW and DET being so close. BTW where do you get that average for DET...I couldnt find it in that link and Id love to compare some other months.

Yeah, we missed 90F by a good 5F today...though mby only got 0.24" of rain.

Just 24 hours ago we were thinking we would tie the 11 consecutive days of 90F+, and now the streak ends at 6 consecutive days, making this the 24th heatwave on record to have 6 (or more) consecutive 90F+ days. And before the complaints start about "typical luck for SE MI" or whatever, this is nothing. When I was looking up the heat data, I probably found 2 dozen times where a would-be record long heatwave was ruined by 1 or 2 days in the upper 80s, one (I think it was in the 1940s) would have been something crazy like a 15 day stretch had not there been one day of 89F smack in the middle! So far this hasnt even been an upper 80s day. Kinda funny that that the forecast high yesterday was 89F and the actual was 94F....and the forecast high today was 95F and the actual high was 85F lol.

Archived