Newest Member
    Toothache
Late June/Early July Extreme Heat Episode

Hoosier

RECORD EVENT REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN

227 PM EDT FRI JUN 29 2012

..RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE BROKEN AT INDIANAPOLIS

THE TEMPERATURE ROSE TO 102 DEGREES AT THE INDIANAPOLIS INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT AT 214 PM EDT...BREAKING THE RECORD FOR THE DATE. THE OLD RECORD WAS 100 DEGREES...SET IN 1934. IT IS POSSIBLE THE RECORD MAY RISE HIGHER BEFORE THE END OF THE DAY. WEATHER RECORDS BEGAN IN INDIANAPOLIS IN 1871.

Absolutely crazy!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excessive Heat Warning

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LOUISVILLE KY

251 PM EDT FRI JUN 29 2012

...RECORD HEAT TO CONTINUE ACROSS SOUTHERN INDIANA AND CENTRAL

KENTUCKY THIS WEEKEND.

.STRONG HIGH PRESSURE ALOFT WILL MAINTAIN ITS INFLUENCE ACROSS

THE OHIO VALLEY THIS WEEKEND. HIGH TEMPERATURES THIS AFTERNOON

WILL RANGE FROM 101 TO 106 DEGREES...AND HEAT INDEX VALUES WILL

LIKELY REACH THE 105 TO 115 DEGREE RANGE ACROSS THE REGION.

SHOULD THIS HEAT LAST INTO EARLY NEXT WEEK...WHICH SOME OF THE

LATEST DATA SUGGESTS...THIS WOULD BE COMPARABLE TO HEAT WAVES

LAST EXPERIENCED IN THE DUST BOWL ERA OF THE 1930S.

Of course it's Meteorology, but what I'm saying is that there is always something that goes wrong........Either it be a DRY SLOT, or w/e...Just saying...all of our weather events seem to lack something. In the Winter we only got 12" of snowfall from the GHD blizzard, while expecting 2 feet...one example...then Severe Weather. Storms tend to develop in Western Michigan and die moving east, we get debris...

Well I'm from the Western Michigan. In terms of the sheer number of thunderstorm days, there is a decreasing tendency from SW to NE, but the majority of t-storm events in the western half of the state are elevated cells or squall lines that originated in northern IL or southeast WI. The central and eastern part of the state seems to get more supercells and tornadoes due to better surface based CAPE. In the prevailing SW flow the part of the state west of US 66 and north of US 94 is shielded by Lake Michigan.

Well I'm from the Western Michigan. In terms of the sheer number of thunderstorm days, there is a decreasing tendency from SW to NE, but the majority of t-storm events in the western half of the state are elevated cells or squall lines that originated in northern IL or southeast WI. The central and eastern part of the state seems to get more supercells and tornadoes due to better surface based CAPE. In the prevailing SW flow the part of the state west of US 66 and north of US 94 is shielded by Lake Michigan.

There have been a couple of big tornado outbreaks that have been centered in the Western part of the state, 1957 and 1965. Also I believe you mean M-66 and I-94.

June 29th maximum temperatures in Indiana.

*Station not quality controlled by the National Weather Service.

Daily record designation only for Evansville, Fort Wayne, Indianapolis, and South Bend.

Evansville: 107º (Daily record)

Terre Haute: 106º

Huntingburg*: 106º

Bloomington: 103º

Indianapolis: 103º (Daily record)

Shelbyville: 102º

Indianapolis Eagle Creek: 101º

Zionsville*: 100º

Muncie: 98º

Lafayette: 98º

Fort Wayne: 94º

Peru/Grissom: 94º

Goshen: 89º

South Bend: 87º

Valparaiso: 86º

Josh would know better than me, but if we hit 90 or better the next 7 days combined with today, yesterday and the day before we will have the longest stretch of 90+ since the 30s or maybe even ever for Detroit.

We would need 10 days of 90*F+ to break the all-time record (set in either 1995 or 1955).

Last year we had 7 days of 90*F+ highs.

Some other Evansville stuff.

Hottest back-to-back days in recorded history...

218º - July 27 (107º) and 28 (111º), 1930

215º - July 26 (108º) and 27 (107º), 1930

215º - July 12 (107º) and 13 (108º), 1936

214º - June 28 (107º) and 29 (107º), 2012

214º - July 13 (108º) and 14 (106º), 1936

212º - July 14 (106º) and 15 (106º), 1936

211º - July 22 (107º) and 23 (104º), 1901

210º - August 8 (105º) and 9 (105º), 1930

209º - July 7 (106º) and 8 (103º), 1936

I think the better analogue is going to be 1911, which was bad enough, but the main difference between this year and 1936 may prove to be that the plains states heat stays confined to SD and s MN into s WI, in contrast to 1936 when it reached s MB and ND, all parts of MN and WI, MI and nw ON. As to MI and ON, the northern boundary of extreme heat may at times fluctuate north as far as Alpena and Toronto, somehow I think it stays out of central ON and the Ottawa valley which could see transitional heat of 32-35 C.

I will revise that if I see any different signs developing in any short-medium term guidance but that's how I would associate the plains states signal with Great Lakes outcome.

After the notable heat waves of the past two years (and years like 1995, 1999) it is a step up to see a heat wave with these 105-110 F extremes that may end up in a top three tussle with 1911 and 1936, and move past years like 1916 or 1918. Knocking off 1936 would be a big ask, some places may manage examples of that, but for sheer intensity and duration, it will require many days this hot.

The winter of 1911-1912 was quite cold wasn't it?

Probably the least impressive of the records today, but a record no less! The air felt like soup today.

SXUS71 KCLE 292139

RERCLE

RECORD EVENT REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CLEVELAND OH

513 PM EDT FRI JUN 29 2012

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT CLEVELAND OH...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 94 DEGREES WAS SET AT CLEVELAND

HOPKINS AIRPORT AT 224 PM EDT/(124 PM EST) THIS AFTERNOON. THIS

EQUALS THE OLD RECORD OF 94 SET IN 1952.

$$

BM

Of course it's Meteorology, but what I'm saying is that there is always something that goes wrong........Either it be a DRY SLOT, or w/e...Just saying...all of our weather events seem to lack something. In the Winter we only got 12" of snowfall from the GHD blizzard, while expecting 2 feet...one example...then Severe Weather. Storms tend to develop in Western Michigan and die moving east, we get debris...

It is meteorology...and it all balances out. Like getting 5" of snow last Feb 5th when you expected 0....or 10" last Feb 20th when you expected 2"...or several locales in SE MI hitting 100F last July 2nd when you expected the low-mid 90s.

Archived