Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Late June/Early July Extreme Heat Episode

Hoosier

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think MLI/RFD/ORD may end up having the benefit of a very quick morning temp ascent. The combination of compressional heating just ahead of the front and the heart of the 850mb heat dome overhead in the morning should really get temps moving quickly. Like you said if that front slows down at all we could see MLI/RFD/ORD do even better.

EDIT: We'll probably see temps reach 90-92 as early as 10am for the I-80/I-88 corridor tomorrow. May get close to 100 as early as noon before leveling off the rest of the afternoon. Places like SPI and LAF may be cooler than the northern areas through early afternoon, but see temps steadily climb all afternoon.

Very well said and I'd agree with that. I'll be curious to see area temps by 15z and that should give a better sign. Will also have to watch obs up in southeast WI as to when the lake breeze comes on down.

I know these maps are out to lunch but I'm saving them anyway. :lol:

Kind of reminds me of the old 24hr RUC forecasts from a few years ago, although the new RAP even takes the cake over that. Now has us at 111/72 at 21z tomorrow. Priceless. Probably be more like 100/70.

As entertaining as it is to laugh at the new RAP I really miss the old RUC. RUC definitely had its quirks, but IMO the RAP is off the reservation a little too often for my liking.

The 3z RAP is blowing up convection the lake breeze by 21z in northeast IL..fwiw. Shows up nicely in the temp progs

Wonder if that's a product of the insane sfc temps getting us to conv temp...although if our environment is anything like the one on the 00z sounding from OAX and we have a trigger...

OAX.gif

Yeah if only we were going to have those types of low level wind fields tomorrow evening.

Yeah really. Still, you gotta be careful with boundary intersections. If I were SPC, I'd have extended the SEE TEXT south, especially along the lakefront, with that in mind. It doesn't really matter that much though. We won't have any sort of handle on the situation until at least early afternoon in all likelihood.

Definitely noticed the clouds dimming the sky this morning. Few clouds still out there. Forecast is only for 95° now due to the front arriving earlier. Dewpoint up in the low 60s now.

Yeah if the front and lake breeze gets here early enough this could turn out pretty lackluster for us in far NE Illinois...it was comfortable when I left for the office and may be comfortable when I leave later this afternoon.

LAF lagging behind all the others in Indiana at 9:00am, weird to see. Not that we won't make up some ground...but every degree counts I suppose.

IND: 83

GSH: 82

MIE: 80

GUS: 80

EVV: 79

BMG: 79

HUF: 79

FWA: 79

SBN: 79

LAF: 75

I have 76 on my thermometer, so maybe it's not completely out to lunch.

Point and click high temps for EVV through Monday, centered over the airport. Yikes.

Today: Sunny and hot, with a high near 106. West southwest wind between 9 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph.

Friday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 109. West wind between 3 and 9 mph.

Saturday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 105. West wind between 3 and 9 mph.

Sunday: Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 104. Calm wind becoming west southwest between 4 and 7 mph.

Monday: Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 102. Calm wind becoming west southwest around 6 mph.

Records for each day...

Today: 102º in 1936

Friday: 103º in 1936 and 1952

Saturday: 100º in 1933 and 1952

Sunday: 101º in 1933

Monday: 101º in 1933

Just took the jump to 82 here. 19 more degrees to go. I think we make it as the clouds are not an issue and any possible convection should hold until after peak heating. Really holding out hope for a record breaker a 106 lol.

up to 88 here....

I think MLI/RFD/ORD may end up having the benefit of a very quick morning temp ascent. The combination of compressional heating just ahead of the front and the heart of the 850mb heat dome overhead in the morning should really get temps moving quickly. Like you said if that front slows down at all we could see MLI/RFD/ORD do even better.

EDIT: We'll probably see temps reach 90-92 as early as 10am for the I-80/I-88 corridor tomorrow. May get close to 100 as early as noon before leveling off the rest of the afternoon. Places like SPI and LAF may be cooler than the northern areas through early afternoon, but see temps steadily climb all afternoon.

good call

Archived